Never thought that Alliestein was in the same level with LCZero and Stockfish !

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Never thought that Alliestein was in the same level with LCZero and Stockfish !

Post by Chessqueen »

To my surprise I just when to check the current standing in TCEC and was shocked by the performance of the young little cute Girl Alliestein
https://tcec-chess.com/

And this was an earlier version of Alliestein Vs Houdini ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW3ir6zfnQA
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Graham Banks

Re: Never thought that Alliestein was in the same level with LCZero and Stockfish !

Post by Graham Banks »

Even more shocking are the two crashes of Stockfish due to a faulty file.
One more crash and it's out.

The participant authors took a vote on whether or not the SF people should be allowed to replace that file. but because one voted no, it won't happen.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
corres

Re: Never thought that Alliestein was in the same level with LCZero and Stockfish !

Post by corres »

Graham Banks wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:39 am Even more shocking are the two crashes of Stockfish due to a faulty file.

The participant authors took a vote on whether or not the SF people should be allowed to replace that file. but because one voted no, it won't happen.
Which file of Stockfish was faulty?
After many tests this is really a surprise.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

corres wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:06 am
Graham Banks wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:39 am Even more shocking are the two crashes of Stockfish due to a faulty file.

Offhand not sure - something to do with the compiler I think. They were discussing it in TCEC chat.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

They used a compiler and optimization options different from the regular builds to make the binary a little faster. Unfortunately a library used by this build is buggy and causes a deadlock sometimes.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

The faulty file was a Windows dynamic library file: libwinpthread-1.dll. Due to insufficient testing and insufficient attention to prior bug reports, this buggy file was part of the package sent to TCEC by the Stockfish "team". The file itself is not part of the Stockfish code. At least, this is my understanding. So one more crash/hang by Stockfish and the engine is disqualified.
corres

Post by corres »

zullil wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm

The faulty file was a Windows dynamic library file: libwinpthread-1.dll. Due to insufficient testing and insufficient attention to prior bug reports, this buggy file was part of the package sent to TCEC by the Stockfish "team". The file itself is not part of the Stockfish code. At least, this is my understanding. So one more crash/hang by Stockfish and the engine is disqualified.
Thanks.
I did not know the official Stockfish use such .dll.
When I tried it I got very few speed up, if any.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

That is ridiculous. Tcec is a computer chess fan driven site. Let's ask them!!!
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

corres wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks.
Yes, it was my impression too that Windows and OS/2 was designed to use DLL not to improve speed, but to save disk space. The intention was that similar API (libraries) inside the DLL file can be reused by most applications, hence saving small disk space.
Sorry, I am not claiming I am technically better than those SF programmers, but building a binary with additional DLL is _not_ optimum, in my opinion.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

corres wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks.
My understanding is that there is no real speed increase from using the linked library. But using it allows the MingW compiler to carry out LTO (link-time optimization), which does seem to give a good speed boost (at least on some systems, not mine).

I run Linux.