Similarity Report 2019

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Similarity Report 2019

Post by Graham Banks »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:50 am
Graham Banks wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:41 amThe moderators do a job, and as members, we're expected to abide by their decisions.
Abide by the decisions of the people in charge, even if they're bad decisions. I guess the people to blame are the ones that elected those people to do the job, that's why democracy doesn't really work...

See, when confronted with the reality that this thread could have EO discussion on it, HGM thought about the possibility of curating it. Why didn't he think about curating the Similarity Report 2019 thread of posts talking about EO? If the main post on it wasn't about EO, then only the offending posts would need to be moved, and not the entire thread. Move it back and curate it. The first thing I did as a mod was branching off topics to The Flip Side.

If moderators are bad at their job, members should point out their mistakes so they improve, not just abide and bend to the mods' incompetency. As a moderator of Rybka Forum with 11 years of experience I can only say that the guys that moderate Talkchess look like newbies that don't know how to play with the toys they were given.
From the Talkchess charter, which all members agree to abide by when they join:

You are further agreeing to abide by the decision of the moderators should a post of yours be deleted or moved. If you should lose your membership or posting privileges after due consideration of the moderators you agree not to re-enter the forum under an alias or assumed name or by using a friend's account. You also agree that the decisions of moderators are final.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
dannyb
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Post by dannyb »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:50 am Abide by the decisions of the people in charge, even if they're bad decisions. I guess the people to blame are the ones that elected those people to do the job, that's why democracy doesn't really work...
If moderators are bad at their job, members should point out their mistakes so they improve, not just abide and bend to the mods' incompetency. As a moderator of Rybka Forum with 11 years of experience I can only say that the guys that moderate Talkchess look like newbies that don't know how to play with the toys they were given.
They are not bad at their job. Even though it's been explained to you several times you are still not getting it: all the threads about engine origins, similarity results, source code comparison and so on have always been moved by past and current moderators to the Engine Origins forum which was created for all that stuff.

So, respect the moderators who, again, are acting by the rules, and respect the charter or go back to your Rybka forum.

You are so interested in the similarity results that you have posted not even once in that thread......
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:50 amWhy didn't he think about curating the Similarity Report 2019 thread of posts talking about EO? If the main post on it wasn't about EO, then only the offending posts would need to be moved, and not the entire thread.
You should have looked at the timestamp on the postings in the thread I moved to EO, and the leading posting in this thread, which I submitted after I moved the other, before spouting such nonsense. At the time I moved it the thread only consisted of two postings. Only Graham had reacted at that point. IMO his reaction was completely off-topic, but it would even make less sense when standing on its own. It was Graham's choice to post this as a comment to the Similarity Report OP rather than starting a new thread for it, and the relation between postings is in general far more important than in which forum section they reside, so I would not break it without good reason.

If this would have been at odds with Grahams intensions, he could have requested to me by PM to move it to a separate thread in the General Topics section, as what he posted did not really touch on origins. It is not up to you to decide where Graham prefers to have his postings.

All postings added later were intentionally put by their authors where they now are (and, incidentally, where I think they belong).

IIRC you have in the past openly declared to oppose the TalkChess charter, which I was elected to enforce. Complaints by you about moderation should therefore be taken as praise that the moderators did a good job in upholding the charter you try to bring down.

I will now lock this thread, because it seems the discussion is moving in a direction that is better suited for the "Forum Help and Suggestions" section. Feel free to start a thread there when you want to discuss the desirability of having an Engine Origins forum section, or would prefer it to be accessible to non-members.