benchmark new smartphones:

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by mclane »

The sd855 is disappointing. It’s not really faster then Huaweis Kirin 980 from last year.

Code: Select all

Huawei P30 Pro Kirin 980 64 bit
Stockfish10   1.102.000 1 thread
Stockfish10.  5.068.000 8threads
LC0.                4121 8 threads

ZTE Axon 10 Pro SD855
Stockfish 10    927.000. 1 Thread 
Stockfish 10 5.072.000 8 threads
Lc0.                3635   8 threads
As you can see LC0 is faster on the Kirin.
And also Stockfish on a Single Core is faster on the Kirin.

I gave another SD855 phone a trial.

The Nubia Red Magic 3 is a SD855 device.

it comes with 5000 mAh battery and also big screen, 6.65" size (!!!! and no notch!!). it also has front stereo loudspeakers and two capacitive shoulder keys on the side for gaming mode. the back side is lighted with LEDs. it also has 90 hz screen, so the image more fluent. it also has a good single camera on the back, with the sony 48 MP IMX586 camera sensor.
It has heat pipe and fan (!!) in it and is a kind of mobile GAMING phone.

but the results are not much better then the normal ZTE Axon 10 pro full glass phone:

5.283.000 instead of 5.072.000.

since the phone has a special GAMING mode where it runs the internal FAN you can increase the speed a little, but not much:

5.417.000 is the value with FAN on. of course than it makes sounds of a fan running. not as loud as your pc, but one can hear it in a quiet room.

I like the phone because it has no GAPPS on board.
You have to install google replacing apps for email, calender and youtube etc.
from aptoide or other markets.
i do use blue mails, etar and webtube.

And do not use google searchbar but duckduckgo or at least startpage so google cannot see and misuse the data and words you do a web search for.

LC0 runs with 4014 in normal mode, which is also a very good result compared to other SD855 mobile phones
(and again UNDER the kirin 980 results from my huawei p30 pro).

so lets sum it up:

Code: Select all

Nubia Red Magic 3, SD855, 6/128GB
Stockfish 10 5.283.000 normal mode
Stockfish 10 5.417.000 gaming mode with FAN ON
LC0             4.014.000 normal mode

you can easily order it from companies like CECT and other reliable companies.

the 6/128 version costs 369 euro and the 8/128 version 419 euro.

this is not much for a sd855 mobile phone with big battery, metal backside and big screen for chess.

here a few tests:
https://youtu.be/hnd8Ze1ZqlE
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Lion

Post by Lion »

Do we have some data for the newly released iPhone Pro 11 ?

Rgds
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Lion wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am Do we have some data for the newly released iPhone Pro 11 ?

Rgds
It's sad that iphone benchmarks (as great as they are) are irrelevant since stockfish is using a very old engine. I wish it was some way we can port the latest stockfish 10 or asmfish into stockfish.
There is no other app in ios that runs a full speed stockfish other than the original stockfish app. Also I wish the app can be updated to show analysis arrows (at least 2 ply) for visualization.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

h1a8 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:27 am
Lion wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am Do we have some data for the newly released iPhone Pro 11 ?

Rgds
It's sad that iphone benchmarks (as great as they are) are irrelevant since stockfish is using a very old engine. I wish it was some way we can port the latest stockfish 10 or asmfish into stockfish.
There is no other app in ios that runs a full speed stockfish other than the original stockfish app. Also I wish the app can be updated to show analysis arrows (at least 2 ply) for visualization.
Yes iOS needs some love when it comes to serious chess apps.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Well, there are very good chess apps on iOS that uses SF10....
These are :
* Analyze This
* Chess Studio

The "only" thing missing to Analyze This for me is an integrated opening book as referance.
The "only" thing missing to Chess Studio for me is that when you "quit" the app and toy around into other apps and then re open Chess Studio, it looses all the analysis you left.....

But aside of that, these are really great apps that on an iPad Pro, really gives powerfull analysis tool. I wouldn't mind if those apps were charged a little....

Aside of that, still missing iPhone 11 Pro bench.... :-)

rgds
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Lion wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:51 pm Well, there are very good chess apps on iOS that uses SF10....
These are :
* Analyze This
* Chess Studio

The "only" thing missing to Analyze This for me is an integrated opening book as referance.
The "only" thing missing to Chess Studio for me is that when you "quit" the app and toy around into other apps and then re open Chess Studio, it looses all the analysis you left.....

But aside of that, these are really great apps that on an iPad Pro, really gives powerfull analysis tool. I wouldn't mind if those apps were charged a little....

Aside of that, still missing iPhone 11 Pro bench.... :-)

rgds
Remember that I said that stockfish app was the only app that ran at full speed. The other apps don't run at full speed for some reason (like half the speed). I don't know if the other apps are using all core. If you know an app that runs the newer version of stockfish at full speed (same speed as stockfish app runs the older stockfish) then let me know.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

On the mobile platform, running at a single core is almost always better than running at all cores, because of battery problems. Yes, neither of the app mentioned runs at all cores.

I will get an iPhone 11 myself, so I may give it a try.
kinderchocolate

Werewolf wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:31 am
h1a8 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:27 am

Rgds
Yes iOS needs some love when it comes to serious chess apps.
I actually think iOS is very good at serious chess apps.
Lion

Post by Lion »

To me chess studio seems to run at full speed.
On my iPad Pro 11 inches, I start at close to 9’000 kn/s to drop a bit later when heat comes into play. But that is pretty amazing

Oh... and yes kn/s is maybe also something I would like to see in Analyse this app.
kinderchocolate

Maybe. Chess Studio uses exactly the same source as the Stockfish app. They are identical at the source level (under the UI). Not just the engine itself, PGN parsing, pieces animation. Everything.