Posted something in EO

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Posted something in EO

Post by Rebel »

90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
chrisw

Re: Posted something in EO

Post by chrisw »

Rebel wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:59 am viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72003
The 36 guests the main board pages says are currently browsing this forum won’t be able to very easily read it.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

chrisw wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:49 pm
Rebel wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:59 am viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72003
The 36 guests the main board pages says are currently browsing this forum won’t be able to very easily read it.
48 guests currently...

Posting raw numbers without bias.

I also think it's important programmers should be aware of tools like SIMEX.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I was told to create a thread on the Forum Help and Suggestions subforum about opening EO to the public, but I'm afraid I'd be ignored, so I'm wondering if someone that wouldn't be ignored could try it out.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:55 am I was told to create a thread on the Forum Help and Suggestions subforum about opening EO to the public, but I'm afraid I'd be ignored, so I'm wondering if someone that wouldn't be ignored could try it out.
I don’t think anybody bothers even to open that forum. It’s pretty much a black hole. Rule one, when some bureaucrat tells you to put your complaint/suggestion in writing and send to XYZ, it’s basically a long form of “no” with the added bureaucrat advantage of avoiding having to give a reason when the actual reason is “because it suits us that way”.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Hiding your complaints deep in a thread with another title is not likely to do better, though.

If you start a thread with an appropriate title in the Help & Suggestions section, the title will remain visible for everyone opening the index page for months...
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Okay, that doesn't take much effort so I did it. It only says "Engine Origins should be read…" in the index page, though.

chrisw is right, not even I visit EO, so whatever happens in Rebel's thread I'll miss it. It's fair because if guests aren't allowed to read it, why should I?
bob

Post by bob »

My comment. The reason it was made private to start with was to allow a place to actively discuss the cloning / derivative status of programs without it becoming public. Programming-types will understand most of what is written and interpret it reasonably. A non-technical person not involved with computer chess will be unable to understand what is real and what is not. Which could lead to grossly incorrect information being propagated with exponential growth.

Whether that reason is good enough for you or not, that was the reasoning used. It can always be changed if enough want it.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Okay, if democracy is taking place I vote for opening EO, because all those discussions being moved there, or being forced to be discussed there aren't even for "programming-types", because no source code is being discussed, and only similarity on engines' move choices.

Another option would be to keep EO closed but have on there source code talk exclusively, then threads like Rebel's could remain on here.
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Rebel wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:32 pm
chrisw wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:49 pm The 36 guests the main board pages says are currently browsing this forum won’t be able to very easily read it.
48 guests currently...
"Guests" are mostly indexing bots.

-Sam-