Komodo 13.2 Release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Komodo 13.2 Release

Post by lkaufman »

We are releasing Komodo 13.2 today at komodochess.com. The two main reasons for this release are a significant improvement in MCTS playing strength on six or more threads (we got a plus 20 elo result in 1300 bullet games on 8 threads), and a new feature, "Personalities", which adds seven new playing styles to the normal, default personality. These are intended to simulate various types of human players, one of which, "human", is a simulation of a human grandmaster or at least someone taught by one. These personalities can be used with either MCTS or with the reduced skill levels, but not with both. Most of the personalities will play a level or so weaker than normal against engines, so they are not intended for that use, but some (especially "human") may prove tougher for some human opponents than the default personality at the same level.
The normal (non-MCTS) version is about six elo stronger than 13.1 on one thread at 2' + 1" according to our testing, as is also the MCTS version on four threads. Normally we don't release a new version with just single-digit elo gains, but the larger gain on 8 thread MCTS and the new personalities justified the release. While of course we welcome testing on both versions by the testing groups, we especially would like to see MCTS testing on 8 threads or more since that's where the significant improvement shows up.
The MCTS version is especially recommended for use with Multi-PV and for more human-like play and analysis. Its strength against human play was shown when it became the first computer in history to defeat a chess master in a rapid, (not blitz), (15' + 10") match despite giving knight odds, by an amazing 6 to 0 score! The normal version is still objectively the strongest version when Multi-PV is not in use, at least against other engines.
As usual, Komodo 13.2 is free for subscribers, and discounted 20% for anyone who bought Komodo 12 or later version.
Komodo rules!
schack

Re: Komodo 13.2 Release

Post by schack »

It is not available for download as of yet for subscribers.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

schack wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:09 pm It is not available for download as of yet for subscribers.
It should be available to current subscribers now. Sorry for the delay.

Mark
odyn1982
Full name: Mariusz Jankowski

Post by odyn1982 »

I look forward to the new version in the Google Play Store. :)
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

odyn1982 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 pm I look forward to the new version in the Google Play Store. :)
It is being worked on. Unfortunately Google is imposing strict security on apps making things more diffcult. The Komodo Android App lets you set some paramamters in the engine App to control it even if a GUI is running it which is a great feature. But Google now ways "Apps that target Android 9 or higher cannot share data with other apps using world-accessible Unix permissions." Hopefully we will find a solution, but it might take a while.

Mark
Gary Internet

Post by Gary Internet »

I see that both versions of Komodo are competing in the TCEC Cup 4 with version 2418. How close is version 2418 to the official release of 13.2? Is it weaker, stronger, or the identical version?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Gary Internet wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:24 am I see that both versions of Komodo are competing in the TCEC Cup 4 with version 2418. How close is version 2418 to the official release of 13.2? Is it weaker, stronger, or the identical version?
Identical.
Komodo rules!
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

lkaufman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:27 pm a significant improvement in MCTS playing strength on six or more threads (we got a plus 20 elo result in 1300 bullet games on 8 threads)
Why?
I mean, how does a +6 on a single thread translate to +20 on 8? Why not +6 on 1 and 3 and 8 threads?
I can understand that more core = more strength, but this I do not understand.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

leavenfish wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:35 am
lkaufman wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:27 pm a significant improvement in MCTS playing strength on six or more threads (we got a plus 20 elo result in 1300 bullet games on 8 threads)
Why?
I mean, how does a +6 on a single thread translate to +20 on 8? Why not +6 on 1 and 3 and 8 threads?
You are confused. One number was for the MCTS and the other for the normal Komodo...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

leavenfish wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:35 am
Why?
There are some parameter values that depend on the number of threads, in both regular and MCTS mode. Sometimes what works best on 1 thread is not very good on 8, for example. So although the overall engine improvement was about six elo, by modifying the setting of one or more parameters in MCTS mode with many threads we got a significant further improvement.
Komodo rules!