did magnus carlsen play so poorly?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

did magnus carlsen play so poorly?

Post by Uri Blass »

https://company.playmagnus.com/play-magnus

It seems that magnus at age 5 is simply the random mover and I believe that magnus carlsen even at age 5 played better than it.

I also tried the application at older age and I believe magnus was stronger than the playing strength they give him also at later ages(did not try above 9)
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: did magnus carlsen play so poorly?

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Uri Blass wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 am https://company.playmagnus.com/play-magnus

It seems that magnus at age 5 is simply the random mover and I believe that magnus carlsen even at age 5 played better than it.

I also tried the application at older age and I believe magnus was stronger than the playing strength they give him also at later ages(did not try above 9)
A gimmick is a novel device or idea designed primarily to attract attention or increase appeal, often with little intrinsic value. When applied to retail marketing, it is a unique or quirky feature designed to make a product or service "stand out" from its competitors.
Play Magnus is a blatant marketing gimmick and nothing more.

Just my opinion.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Uri Blass wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 am https://company.playmagnus.com/play-magnus

He did play that poorly inasmuch as I seem to recall he only learned the game at age 5 and initially showed little interest in it.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Albert Silver wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:55 pm

He did play that poorly inasmuch as I seem to recall he only learned the game at age 5 and initially showed little interest in it.
I am sure that he played poorly but I tend to believe he still played better than a random mover and I do not see magnus in the application do it.
Even if I play stupid moves that lose pieces by a simple capture magnus at age 5 by the application usually does not capture them(and not something like capture them in half of the cases that is also a very poor level).
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

The application seems to get quite a lot stronger at age 10 and above
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:30 amPlay Magnus is a blatant marketing gimmick and nothing more.
Looks like Magnus sold out as he advertises the app and plays against it on videos and stuff.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Uri Blass wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:59 pm
Albert Silver wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:55 pm

I am sure that he played poorly but I tend to believe he still played better than a random mover and I do not see magnus in the application do it.
Even if I play stupid moves that lose pieces by a simple capture magnus at age 5 by the application usually does not capture them(and not something like capture them in half of the cases that is also a very poor level).
..it's just a game the are trying to monetize - historical accuracy , no that was not in the plans , plus who really wants to lose to 5 year old 8>O, be thankful if it doesn't have any bugs ...