Fritz 17

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Fritz 17

Post by Guenther »

the_real_greco wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:10 pm
Guenther wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:56 pm
smatovic wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:06 pm
sainzlei wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:49 pm
https://www.niggemann.com/en/fritz-17-deutsch.html

Price US $88.91
Alright, then ChessBase will really ship Fat Fritz with it? Nice.

--
Srdja
They say now clearly it is based on LC0 and the modifications for Fat Fritz can be found at github.
But where is the link to that mysterious FatFritz github?

Code: Select all

Fat Fritz basiert auf LCZero. LCZero ist ein Open-Source-Projekt, das über GPL v3 lizenziert ist.
Den Quellcode von LCZero und die Modifikationen für Fat Fritz finden Sie bei Github.
Some users will be tricked though, because the needed strong nvidia gpu is just a little side note for 'Fritz 17' in the description
and those who will run their new 'F17' will be surprised ;-)
My understanding was that F17 AND Fat Fritz were included, and only FF needs the GPUs? I'm reasonably sure F17 will run on CPU as normal.
You are right, F17 != Fat Fritz. FF is just an addition to F17.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
dannyb
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Post by dannyb »

Werewolf wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:13 pm I know this is going to invite a storm, but how is this ethical? Are the Lc0 people happy with this?
The price seems the same as always so you could say you are paying for Fritz 17 and getting FatFritz for free I guess
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

dannyb wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:15 pm I guess you are right: you get Fritz 17 + FatFritz. I wonder how much Fritz 17 has improved.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By 5 Elo maybe as always :(
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Werewolf wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:13 pm I know this is going to invite a storm, but how is this ethical? Are the Lc0 people happy with this?
Ah, the misunderstood GPL. Here is a good description of its purpose and legal meaning in layman’s terms.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux ... -software/

To quote from TFA;
...yes, you can legally sell software with a GPL license version 2 or 3 for whatever price you want to charge.

The GNU project itself "encourages people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can... You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It's up to you, and the marketplace."

Of course, all users of free software enjoy these same freedoms. The people to whom you sold copies of GPL software are just as free as you are to make copies and sell them for whatever price they feel is right, including a price equal to zero.
So, it is not only legal, but actively encouraged.

Of course the network weights are not covered by the GPL but by whatever license ChessBase applies to it.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
hammerklavier

Post by hammerklavier »

In details say... Author : Rajlich... F17 --->Rybka 6??? in CPU mode?
F17 --->FF GPU Mode ?
Fulvio

Post by Fulvio »

dkappe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 pm Ah, the misunderstood GPL. Here is a good description of its purpose and legal meaning in layman’s terms.

I suspect that you are the one that doesn't fully understand the license, and I'm not sure you even read that link:
"You do not, however, automatically get any right to: say that that is your original work"

So, if it is derived from lc0, it must be clearly and unambiguously indicated.
Plus, obviously, the derived code is also under the GPL and must be publicly available.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Fulvio wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:26 pm
dkappe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 pm Ah, the misunderstood GPL. Here is a good description of its purpose and legal meaning in layman’s terms.

I suspect that you are the one that doesn't fully understand the license, and I'm not sure you even read that link:
"You do not, however, automatically get any right to: say that that is your original work"

So, if it is derived from lc0, it must be clearly and unambiguously indicated.
Plus, obviously, the derived code is also under the GPL and must be publicly available.
I’m sorry. My bad for assuming everyone is a native speaker of German. :-)
Fat Fritz basiert auf LCZero. LCZero ist ein Open-Source-Projekt, das über GPL v3 lizenziert ist.
Den Quellcode von LCZero und die Modifikationen für Fat Fritz finden Sie bei Github.
So, rough translation: Fat Fritz is based on LCZero. LCZero is an open source project licensed under the terms of the GPL v3. The source code of LCZero and the modifications for Fat Fritz are available on GitHub.

I know it’s hard to climb down from the righteous indignation barricades (and god knows this forum doesn’t enjoy a good track record in this regard), but hopefully you’ll realize I’m just trying to provide information and clarification, not sharpen my own particular axe.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Fulvio

Post by Fulvio »

dkappe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 pm I know it’s hard to climb down from the righteous indignation barricades (and god knows this forum doesn’t enjoy a good track record in this regard), but hopefully you’ll realize I’m just trying to provide information and clarification, not sharpen my own particular axe.
My post was exactly in response to your misinformation: "So, it is not only legal, but actively encouraged."
If you don't understand the difference between bookstores and counterfeits (changing the cover and claiming to be the author of a book) please refrain from lecturing about licenses:
https://github.com/DanielUranga/lc0/com ... e1d12a5255
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Fulvio wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:00 am
dkappe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 pm I know it’s hard to climb down from the righteous indignation barricades (and god knows this forum doesn’t enjoy a good track record in this regard), but hopefully you’ll realize I’m just trying to provide information and clarification, not sharpen my own particular axe.
My post was exactly in response to your misinformation: "So, it is not only legal, but actively encouraged."
If you don't understand the difference between bookstores and counterfeits (changing the cover and claiming to be the author of a book) please refrain from lecturing about licenses:
https://github.com/DanielUranga/lc0/com ... e1d12a5255
Manchen Menschen kann man nicht helfen.
the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

Ich spreche kein Deutsch, kann aber Google Translate verwenden. Ich kann mich auch nicht entscheiden, ob ein offenes Geheimnis gleichbedeutend mit einer Offenlegung ist.