My predicted 3rd Gen threadripper prices

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: My predicted 3rd Gen threadripper prices

Post by Dann Corbit »

Zenmastur wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:20 am I don't see the 24 core higher than $1,000.
There are 1.5 times as many cores in the 24 core TR as in the 16 core Ryzen.
$1000 is only 1/4 more than $750.
You would be nuts to buy the 16 core part, when the far more powerful part (1.5x the core count) is only $1000.
But we should know the answer to that question in just a few hours.

I will be shocked, stunned and amazed if they are $1000, and waiting in line to buy a pocket full of them.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

corres wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 pm If there are everything in order around 3900 series why we can not buy a 3950x processor still?
Maybe you should try to buy an Intel I9 10980XE and see where that gets you. You act like Rome was built in a day!
I would like to build a machine with it and when I searched for news about it I found the issues what I lined up.
Naturally I read not only the self advertisements of AMD but a lot of forum about beta-BIOS-s,...

There will be standard bioses built on AGESA 1.0.0.4 (or later) available when it launches. So this isn't much of a worry.
... about there is no only one firm what is ready to produce official cooler for 3950x, ....
WTF... Tell me which desktop CPU has more than one "official" cooler. E.g. name all the "official" coolers for the Intel I9 10980XE.

As I understand it, ALL Ryzen 9 CPU's come with a cooler so unless you're VERY technically challenged this shouldn't be an issue.

You sound technically challenged. Maybe you should mosey on down to your local Apple store and buy whatever their VERY knowledgeable sales person recommends and leave the computer building to those that actually know how!
issues with 7 nm produce line,
To my knowledge TSMC hasn't had an issue with their 7nm line since it was declared HVM ready.
still AMD is working on standardizing the power regulation of 3900 line, etc.
Seriously, you shouldn't ever pick up a screw driver, you could seriously injure yourself! You might even poke your eye out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
So if you want to find you can find real issues with Ryzen 3rd gen processors.
The only issue I have with Ryzen or Ryzen Threadripper is I don't have one YET! But that will soon change! :D :D :D

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I am totally fickle when it comes to architecture and manufacturer.
If Intel gets crushed by the pressure and starts giving away their CPUs at an enormous loss, so that they actually become more cost effective than AMD chips, I won't just buy one, I will buy a bushel basket full.

I know that doing that would really be shooting myself in the foot in the long run, but I would do it anyway (e.g puny little AMD might get run out of business even though they are technically superior just because a giant has the ability to stomp them due to deep, deep pockets).

That's because I am like Inigo Montoya... "I hate waiting."
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
corres

Post by corres »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:38 am ...
The only issue I have with Ryzen or Ryzen Threadripper is I don't have one YET! But that will soon change! Regards,
Zenmastur
Sorry, but with bad humor you can not conceal the reality.
Regards.

P.S.
Seeing the issues with R9 series I have built my PC with AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2950X
So I like the GOOD products of AMD but - opposite to you - I am not a blinded AMD fan.
Regards.
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

jpqy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:46 pm Here first official prises: https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadri ... -official/
:shock: :mrgreen: :shock:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
dannyb
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Post by dannyb »

jpqy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:46 pm Here first official prises: https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadri ... -official/
$1999 for 32 cores.....I highly doubt the 64 cores will price at $2399 as wccftech suggests in that table
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

dannyb wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:29 pm
$1999 for 32 cores.....I highly doubt the 64 cores will price at $2399 as wccftech suggests in that table
Naturally. The 64 core price will be close to $4000. But it's an incredible bargain at that price. The industrial part (7702p) will be clocked slower, with a much lower boost rate. With the plethora of high speed I/O lanes you will be able to pack these boxes (TR80 and WX80 based) with a cluster of GPUs and run simultaneously Stockfish and LC0 at mind bending velocity.

The Epyc chips were already humorously priced compared to Intel. There is currently nothing comparable in bang for the buck. But now that AMD has let the other shoe drop, let's see if Intel has a response.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Should I pay off my car or buy a 64 core Threadripper? (Joking) If I remember correctly a 64 core Intel would cost $10,000. So $4,000 does look great.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

..the only thing Intel still has in petto is their Optane/3D XPoint memory stuff...

--
Srdja