On-line engine blitz tourney November

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Joost Buijs

On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by Joost Buijs »

The monthly on-line engine blitz tourney for November will take place on:

Saturday November 9, 2pm Boston time (20:00 Amsterdam time)

To connect:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost nightmare-chess.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp ENGINE.exe -fd ENGINEFOLDER -autoKibitz

(for UCI engines, add -fUCI)

People without an account on the (new) server can submit a request for a new account to admin@nightmare-chess.nl

Tourney format: 9 rounds Swiss 5/1

Our TD will be: Eendje (Lisebeth) from ICC
Henk

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney November

Post by Henk »

Previous tourney I had to reconnect after each game otherwise my engine would not move.
Has that issue already been fixed. Or what do I have to change in my engine to fix that problem?

Might also be I did not use the right conection string. I used this one:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost nightmare-chess.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp "dotnet C:\Users\Gebruiker\source\repos\ChessLibraryCore\SkipperConsoleApp2\bin\Release\netcoreapp2.2\SkipperConsoleApp2.dll" -autoKibitz
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Henk wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm Previous tourney I had to reconnect after each game otherwise my engine would not move.
Has that issue already been fixed. Or what do I have to change in my engine to fix that problem?

Might also be I did not use the right conection string. I used this one:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost nightmare-chess.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp "dotnet C:\Users\Gebruiker\source\repos\ChessLibraryCore\SkipperConsoleApp2\bin\Release\netcoreapp2.2\SkipperConsoleApp2.dll" -autoKibitz
You were the only one with this issue, so it is not a server problem. Why does your build system creates a DLL instead of an executable? Do you use 'Console Application (.Net Core)'? maybe you can use 'Console Application (.Net Framework)' to create a normal executable. You can also try to specify the engine executable with -fcp and the engine directory with -fd.

Honestly, I don't know what happens when you execute a DLL with dotnet, I have no experience with that.
Henk

Post by Henk »

I used same dotnet construction on hgm's server giving no problems. So something is different.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Henk wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 pm I used same dotnet construction on hgm's server giving no problems. So something is different.
Maybe something has changed on your end.

I know that you had a bad computer crash several months ago, and that you had to setup everything new on another PC, after this event you didn't play on HGM's server anymore.

The server is online 24 hours a day, usually there are several programs logged in and ready to play, so it should not be too difficult to find out why your program does not respond anymore after playing a single game.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Hi Joost
Can you send me an account for Isa ?
All the best
Dany
Isa download :
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Daniel Anulliero wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 pm Hi Joost
Can you send me an account for Isa ?
All the best
Dany
Hi Daniel,

Done..., I've sent you a PM with the password.

Regards,

Joost
Henk

Post by Henk »

Joost Buijs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:48 pm
Henk wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 pm I used same dotnet construction on hgm's server giving no problems. So something is different.

I know that you had a bad computer crash several months ago, and that you had to setup everything new on another PC, after this event you didn't play on HGM's server anymore.

The server is online 24 hours a day, usually there are several programs logged in and ready to play, so it should not be too difficult to find out why your program does not respond anymore after playing a single game.
When I try "match …" It complains "tournament variable is not set"
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Henk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:16 pm

I see that your tournament variable is still set (maybe because you left the server before the tourney was finished), now you can't match players without their tourney variable set.

Just login and type: set tourney 0

This should solve it.

With the command: var - you can see the state of all your variables.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Joost Buijs wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm
Henk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:16 pm

I see that your tournament variable is still set (maybe because you left the server before the tourney was finished), now you can't match players without their tourney variable set.

Just login and type: set tourney 0

This should solve it.

With the command: var - you can see the state of all your variables.
Problem was a missing ''go" command. New server does not use it after first move from opponent. I already did a quick and dirty repair. So looks like it is fixed now in my engine.

I used to use 'go"command to change sides during a game when I was playing against my engine for testing purposes. But that won't work anymore. For current implementation can now handle only one "go" command per game.

If I play against fairy-max with winboard running locally on my computer it still has to work with a go command.