Lc0 - macOS binary requested

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

crem

Re: Lc0 - macOS binary requested

Post by crem »

INPUT_112_WITH_CASTLING_PLANE was added into the protobuf which is in the lczero-common sub-repository.

If you're reusing your existing git repo, type `git submodule update` to update it.

If you clone the repository fresh then `git clone --recurse-submodule` will already fetch the latest version.
littlecapa
Full name: Roger Lorenz

Post by littlecapa »

MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:13 am
MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 am
littlecapa wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 pm
MikeB wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:05 am
Steppenwolf wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 pm I did all the things you mentioned.
Everything worked properly to my feeling.

Please go ahead...

Hi MikeB!

I followed all your steps but it does not work on my Mac Mini 2018 (macOS 10.15.1). The linker always throws this error:

ld: can't map file, errno=22 file '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework' for architecture x86_64

Any idea how to fix this?
Unchartered waters for me since I see you are on Catalina. Did you pull the most recent committed source or the last stable release? Generally for Lc0, they are different.

As a fyi, Catalina has caused some problems from some users.
Generally speaking, unless you are quite adept at solving Apple issues on your own, if you are compiling your own programs , best to wait ( I would say 6 months) for bugs to be fixed on major releases.

There are few things we can try. First I need to know the source you are trying to compile( date) and the compiler - gcc or clang and which version.

The error description "erron==22" is not very precise, it basically say we can not open a file that is needed, suggesting that a file is missing or is in a different location than expected, or it may be corrupt. In this case, we know it's looking for '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework' so , in finder , if you go to folder ( Finder>>Go>>Go to Folder...)
'/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/" is that a valid path on your Mac Mini? If it is, does it include the file OpenCL.framework file?

Things we can try , if you complied a source correctly before without issues., try that "older" source on your Mac Mini. Compare the Mac Mini compiler and version to the compiler version you successfully compiled. We want to rule out differences between the successful compilation and the unsuccessful compilation as much as possible - so try to make everything on your Mac Mini the same as your previous Mac - date of source, complier version etc.
Through the process of elimination, as I was describing above ,I was able to locate the source of the error message - first thing I tried was to build lc0 using the source which built fine before. I got the same error you got above. I then restored the prior OpenCL framework, and to my surprise that also failed. The fact that BOTH gcc and clang were creating the same error , ruled out the possibility it was the compilers at fault, the error was not to due to any changes in the source - so it had to be one of other tools that are using being used to build Lc0. I took a wild guess it was meson ;>) , reactivated the old version ( I use macports, if you use home-brew, you will have to check with their instructions to reactive prior ports)

Code: Select all

sudo port activate meson @0.51.2_0
--->  Computing dependencies for meson
--->  Activating meson @0.51.2_0
--->  Cleaning meson

bingo it worked on the old source. meson 5.2 is the culprit here.

update to the latest source - and you will get this error

../../src/neural/encoder.cc:67:37: error: no member named 'INPUT_112_WITH_CASTLING_PLANE' in 'pblczero::NetworkFormat'
case pblczero::NetworkFormat::INPUT_112_WITH_CASTLING_PLANE: {

an error like this should never happen, it tells me that this code is not being used, how it got comitted, I don't know.

Comment out lines 67 through 82 ( I used /* and */ below in encoder.cc , making the code inactive , my guess is this is related to FRC castling code without taking a real hard look at it.
code above references , "INPUT_CLASSICAL_112_PLANE" which is probably classical/standard chess.

/*
        // - Plane 104 for positions of rooks (both white and black) which have
        // a-side (queenside) castling right.
        // - Plane 105 for positions of rooks (both white and black) which have
        // h-side (kingside) castling right.
        const auto& cast = board.castlings();
        result[kAuxPlaneBase + 0].mask =
            ((cast.we_can_000() ? ChessBoard::A1 : 0) |
             (cast.they_can_000() ? ChessBoard::A8 : 0))
            << cast.queenside_rook();
        result[kAuxPlaneBase + 1].mask =
            ((cast.we_can_00() ? ChessBoard::A1 : 0) |
             (cast.they_can_00() ? ChessBoard::A8 : 0))
            << cast.kingside_rook();
        break;
      }
*/
bingo again, it compiles

[100/100] Linking target encoder_test.
~/Github/LeelaChessZero
good luck!
Hi MikeB!

Great work analyzing the problem in such detail and providing a solution. Kudos to you!

I am still stuck with meson 5.2. It looks like that brew does not provide older versions of meson. And switching from brew to port on the fly is also not possible. But I am confident, that I will manage in the end.

Kind regards,
Littlecapa
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

crem wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:17 pm INPUT_112_WITH_CASTLING_PLANE was added into the protobuf which is in the lczero-common sub-repository.

If you're reusing your existing git repo, type `git submodule update` to update it.

If you clone the repository fresh then `git clone --recurse-submodule` will already fetch the latest version.
Thanks, I was not aware of your solution.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

littlecapa wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Please go ahead...

Hi MikeB!

I followed all your steps but it does not work on my Mac Mini 2018 (macOS 10.15.1). The linker always throws this error:

ld: can't map file, errno=22 file '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework' for architecture x86_64

Unchartered waters for me since I see you are on Catalina. Did you pull the most recent committed source or the last stable release? Generally for Lc0, they are different.

Generally speaking, unless you are quite adept at solving Apple issues on your own, if you are compiling your own programs , best to wait ( I would say 6 months) for bugs to be fixed on major releases.

There are few things we can try. First I need to know the source you are trying to compile( date) and the compiler - gcc or clang and which version.

The error description "erron==22" is not very precise, it basically say we can not open a file that is needed, suggesting that a file is missing or is in a different location than expected, or it may be corrupt. In this case, we know it's looking for '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework' so , in finder , if you go to folder ( Finder>>Go>>Go to Folder...)
'/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/" is that a valid path on your Mac Mini? If it is, does it include the file OpenCL.framework file?

Things we can try , if you complied a source correctly before without issues., try that "older" source on your Mac Mini. Compare the Mac Mini compiler and version to the compiler version you successfully compiled. We want to rule out differences between the successful compilation and the unsuccessful compilation as much as possible - so try to make everything on your Mac Mini the same as your previous Mac - date of source, complier version etc.
Through the process of elimination, as I was describing above ,I was able to locate the source of the error message - first thing I tried was to build lc0 using the source which built fine before. I got the same error you got above. I then restored the prior OpenCL framework, and to my surprise that also failed. The fact that BOTH gcc and clang were creating the same error , ruled out the possibility it was the compilers at fault, the error was not to due to any changes in the source - so it had to be one of other tools that are using being used to build Lc0. I took a wild guess it was meson ;>) , reactivated the old version ( I use macports, if you use home-brew, you will have to check with their instructions to reactive prior ports)

--->  Cleaning meson

../../src/neural/encoder.cc:67:37: error: no member named 'INPUT_112_WITH_CASTLING_PLANE' in 'pblczero::NetworkFormat'

an error like this should never happen, it tells me that this code is not being used, how it got comitted, I don't know.

Comment out lines 67 through 82 ( I used /* and */ below in encoder.cc , making the code inactive , my guess is this is related to FRC castling code without taking a real hard look at it.
code above references , "INPUT_CLASSICAL_112_PLANE" which is probably classical/standard chess.

/*
            << cast.kingside_rook();
        break;
      }
*/
bingo again, it compiles

~/Github/LeelaChessZero
good luck!
Hi MikeB!

Great work analyzing the problem in such detail and providing a solution. Kudos to you!

I am still stuck with meson 5.2. It looks like that brew does not provide older versions of meson. And switching from brew to port on the fly is also not possible. But I am confident, that I will manage in the end.

Kind regards,
Littlecapa
I think you can remove Meson from brew and just compile 5.1.2 from the source on GitHub and you should be good. I did raise it as an issue on the meson Github site - if I see it gets addressed , I will post here.
smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Post by smcracraft »

Very unfortunately on a macOS Mojave v10.14.6 MacBook Pro, the build, given
the above set of commands in a virtualenv virtual environment (for isolation from the OS)
gives this show-stopping error:

./build.sh
~/src/leela/src/leela/lc0 ~/src/leela/src/leela/lc0
The Meson build system
Version: 0.52.0
Source dir: /Users/stuartcracraft/src/leela/src/leela/lc0
Build dir: /Users/stuartcracraft/src/leela/src/leela/lc0/build/release
Build type: native build
Project name: lc0
Project version: undefined
C++ compiler for the host machine: c++ (clang 10.0.1 "Apple LLVM version 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.4)")
C++ linker for the host machine: APPLE ld 450.3
Host machine cpu family: x86_64
Host machine cpu: x86_64
WARNING: Consider using the builtin warning_level option instead of adding warning flags by hand.
Library libprotobuf found: NO
Did not find pkg-config by name 'pkg-config'
Found Pkg-config: NO
Found CMake: /usr/local/bin/cmake (3.15.5)
Run-time dependency protobuf found: YES 
Program protoc found: YES (/usr/local/bin/protoc)
Program git found: YES (/usr/bin/git)
Library pthread found: YES
Library dl found: YES
Library libtensorflow_cc found: NO
Run-time dependency accelerate found: YES (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework)
Library mkl_rt found: NO
Library mklml found: NO
Library dnnl found: NO
Library openblas.dll found: NO
Library openblas found: NO
Program ispc found: NO
Library OpenCL found: NO
Run-time dependency opencl found: YES 1.2
Library cublas found: NO
Library cudnn found: NO
Library cudart found: NO
Program nvcc found: NO
Program /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc found: NO
Program /opt/cuda/bin/nvcc found: NO
Run-time dependency zlib found: YES 1.2.11
Run-time dependency GTest found: NO (tried pkgconfig and system)
Looking for a fallback subproject for the dependency gtest
Downloading gtest source from https://github.com/google/googletest/archive/release-1.8.1.zip
Downloading file of unknown size.
Downloading gtest patch from https://wrapdb.mesonbuild.com/v1/projects/gtest/1.8.1/1/get_zip
Download size: 2084
Downloading: ..........

|Executing subproject gtest method meson 
|
|Project name: gtest
|Project version: 1.8.1
|C++ compiler for the host machine: c++ (clang 10.0.1 "Apple LLVM version 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.4)")
|C++ linker for the host machine: APPLE ld 450.3
|Run-time dependency threads found: YES 
|Dependency threads found: YES (cached)
|Build targets in project: 1
|Subproject gtest finished.

Dependency gtest from subproject subprojects/gtest found: YES
Build targets in project: 8
Found ninja-1.9.0 at /usr/local/bin/ninja
[1/130] Generating source from 'libs/lczero-common/proto/net.proto'.
[2/130] Generating source from 'libs/lczero-common/proto/net.proto'.
[3/130] Generating source from 'libs/lczero-common/proto/net.proto'.
[4/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_version.cc.o'.
[5/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_bitboard.cc.o'.
[6/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_cache.cc.o'.
[7/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_encoder.cc.o'.
[8/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_board.cc.o'.
[9/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_node.cc.o'.
[10/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_version.cc.o'.
[11/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/meson-generated_proto_net.pb.cc.o'.
In file included from lc0_lib@sha/proto/net.pb.cc:4:
In file included from lc0_lib@sha/proto/net.pb.h:26:
In file included from /usr/local/include/google/protobuf/generated_message_table_driven.h:34:
In file included from /usr/local/include/google/protobuf/map.h:49:
In file included from /usr/local/include/google/protobuf/map_type_handler.h:34:
In file included from /usr/local/include/google/protobuf/parse_context.h:43:
In file included from /usr/local/include/google/protobuf/metadata_lite.h:37:
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/generated_message_util.h:227:14: warning: zero size arrays are an extension [-Wzero-length-array]
  void* deps[PROTOBUF_ARRAY_SIZE(N)];
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/generated_message_util.h:212:32: note: expanded from macro 'PROTOBUF_ARRAY_SIZE'
#define PROTOBUF_ARRAY_SIZE(n) (n)
                               ^~~
lc0_lib@sha/proto/net.pb.cc:79:47: note: in instantiation of template class 'google::protobuf::internal::SCCInfo<0>' requested here
::PROTOBUF_NAMESPACE_ID::internal::SCCInfo<0> scc_info_EngineVersion_proto_2fnet_2eproto =
                                              ^
1 warning generated.
[12/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/meson-generated_proto_net.pb.cc.o'.
In file included from lc0@exe/proto/net.pb.cc:4:
In file included from lc0@exe/proto/net.pb.h:26:
In file included from /usr/local/include/google/protobuf/generated_message_table_driven.h:34:
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/generated_message_util.h:227:14: warning: zero size arrays are an extension [-Wzero-length-array]
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/generated_message_util.h:212:32: note: expanded from macro 'PROTOBUF_ARRAY_SIZE'
                               ^~~
lc0@exe/proto/net.pb.cc:79:47: note: in instantiation of template class 'google::protobuf::internal::SCCInfo<0>' requested here
::PROTOBUF_NAMESPACE_ID::internal::SCCInfo<0> scc_info_EngineVersion_proto_2fnet_2eproto =
                                              ^
1 warning generated.
[13/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_main.cc.o'.
[14/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_position.cc.o'.
[15/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_bitboard.cc.o'.
[16/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_benchmark_benchmark.cc.o'.
[17/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_engine.cc.o'.
[18/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_board.cc.o'.
[19/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_node.cc.o'.
[20/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_timemgr.cc.o'.
[21/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_engine.cc.o'.
[22/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_uciloop.cc.o'.
[23/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_stoppers.cc.o'.
[24/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_benchmark_benchmark.cc.o'.
[25/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_params.cc.o'.
[26/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_factory.cc.o'.
[27/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_legacy.cc.o'.
[28/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_loader.cc.o'.
../../src/neural/loader.cc:91:16: warning: 'SetTotalBytesLimit' is deprecated: Please use the single parameter version of SetTotalBytesLimit(). The second parameter is ignored. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
  input_stream.SetTotalBytesLimit(2000 * 1000000, 500 * 1000000);
               ^
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.h:394:3: note: 'SetTotalBytesLimit' has been explicitly marked deprecated here
  PROTOBUF_DEPRECATED_MSG(
  ^
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/port_def.inc:153:53: note: expanded from macro 'PROTOBUF_DEPRECATED_MSG'
#define PROTOBUF_DEPRECATED_MSG(msg) __attribute__((deprecated(msg)))
                                                    ^
1 warning generated.
[29/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_configfile.cc.o'.
[30/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_search.cc.o'.
[31/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_random.cc.o'.
[32/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_factory.cc.o'.
[33/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_writer.cc.o'.
[34/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_demux.cc.o'.
[35/130] Compiling C++ object 'chessboard_test@exe/subprojects_googletest-release-1.8.1_googletest_src_gtest-all.cc.o'.
[36/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_esc_codes.cc.o'.
[37/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_mux.cc.o'.
[38/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_rr.cc.o'.
[39/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_commandline.cc.o'.
[40/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_histogram.cc.o'.
[41/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_check.cc.o'.
[42/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_logging.cc.o'.
[43/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_random.cc.o'.
[44/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_transpose.cc.o'.
[45/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_fully_connected_layer.cc.o'.
[46/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_string.cc.o'.
[47/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_syzygy_syzygy.cc.o'.
[48/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_se_unit.cc.o'.
[49/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_filesystem.posix.cc.o'.
[50/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_weights_adapter.cc.o'.
[51/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_loop.cc.o'.
[52/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_game.cc.o'.
[53/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsdict.cc.o'.
[54/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_activation.cc.o'.
[55/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_winograd_filter.cc.o'.
[56/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_convolution1.cc.o'.
[57/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsparser.cc.o'.
[58/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_position.cc.o'.
[59/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_winograd_convolution3.cc.o'.
[60/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLBuffers.cc.o'.
[61/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_tournament.cc.o'.
[62/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_network_blas.cc.o'.
[63/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCL.cc.o'.
[64/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_stoppers_timemgr.cc.o'.
[65/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_uciloop.cc.o'.
[66/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_stoppers_stoppers.cc.o'.
[67/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_network_opencl.cc.o'.
[68/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_params.cc.o'.
[69/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_stoppers_factory.cc.o'.
[70/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLTuner.cc.o'.
[71/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_encoder.cc.o'.
[72/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_cache.cc.o'.
[73/130] Linking target lc0.
FAILED: lc0 
c++  -o lc0 'lc0@exe/meson-generated_proto_net.pb.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_main.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_engine.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_version.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_benchmark_benchmark.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_bitboard.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_board.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_position.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_uciloop.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_node.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_params.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_search.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_factory.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_stoppers.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_timemgr.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_cache.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_encoder.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_factory.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_loader.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_check.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_demux.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_legacy.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_mux.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_random.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_rr.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_writer.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_game.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_loop.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_tournament.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_syzygy_syzygy.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_commandline.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_configfile.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_esc_codes.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_histogram.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_logging.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsdict.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsparser.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_random.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_string.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_transpose.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_weights_adapter.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_filesystem.posix.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_convolution1.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_fully_connected_layer.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_se_unit.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_network_blas.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_winograd_convolution3.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_network_opencl.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCL.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLTuner.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLBuffers.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_activation.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_winograd_filter.cc.o' -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -Wl,-undefined,error -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names /usr/local/lib/libprotobuf.dylib -lpthread -F/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks -framework Accelerate /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework /usr/lib/libz.dylib
ld: can't map file, errno=22 file '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework' for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
[74/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_utils_logging.cc.o'.
[75/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_legacy.cc.o'.
[76/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_loader.cc.o'.
../../src/neural/loader.cc:91:16: warning: 'SetTotalBytesLimit' is deprecated: Please use the single parameter version of SetTotalBytesLimit(). The second parameter is ignored. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
               ^
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.h:394:3: note: 'SetTotalBytesLimit' has been explicitly marked deprecated here
  PROTOBUF_DEPRECATED_MSG(
  ^
/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/port_def.inc:153:53: note: expanded from macro 'PROTOBUF_DEPRECATED_MSG'
                                                    ^
1 warning generated.
[77/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_search.cc.o'.
[78/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_factory.cc.o'.
[79/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_random.cc.o'.
[80/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_demux.cc.o'.
[81/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_mux.cc.o'.
[82/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_check.cc.o'.
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

** Yet the directory the linker can't map is there

ls /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
Headers
Modules
OpenCL.tbd
Versions

smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Post by smcracraft »

This seems to be relevant, an error number of 22 when the linker tries to load a directory rather than a file for linking.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/164 ... ure-x86-64

Looks like there is an error in the build.sh for Leela...
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

smcracraft wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:36 pm Very unfortunately on a macOS Mojave v10.14.6 MacBook Pro, the build, given
the above set of commands in a virtualenv virtual environment (for isolation from the OS)
gives this show-stopping error:

./build.sh
~/src/leela/src/leela/lc0 ~/src/leela/src/leela/lc0
The Meson build system
Version: 0.52.0
Source dir: /Users/stuartcracraft/src/leela/src/leela/lc0
Build dir: /Users/stuartcracraft/src/leela/src/leela/lc0/build/release
Build type: native build
Project name: lc0
Project version: undefined
C++ compiler for the host machine: c++ (clang 10.0.1 "Apple LLVM version 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.4)")
C++ linker for the host machine: APPLE ld 450.3
Host machine cpu family: x86_64
Host machine cpu: x86_64
WARNING: Consider using the builtin warning_level option instead of adding warning flags by hand.
Library libprotobuf found: NO
Did not find pkg-config by name 'pkg-config'
Found Pkg-config: NO
Found CMake: /usr/local/bin/cmake (3.15.5)
Run-time dependency protobuf found: YES 
Program protoc found: YES (/usr/local/bin/protoc)
Program git found: YES (/usr/bin/git)
Library pthread found: YES
Library dl found: YES
Library libtensorflow_cc found: NO
Run-time dependency accelerate found: YES (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework)
Library mkl_rt found: NO
Library mklml found: NO
Library dnnl found: NO
Library openblas.dll found: NO
Library openblas found: NO
Program ispc found: NO
Library OpenCL found: NO
Run-time dependency opencl found: YES 1.2
Library cublas found: NO
Library cudnn found: NO
Library cudart found: NO
Program nvcc found: NO
Program /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc found: NO
Program /opt/cuda/bin/nvcc found: NO
Run-time dependency zlib found: YES 1.2.11
Run-time dependency GTest found: NO (tried pkgconfig and system)
Looking for a fallback subproject for the dependency gtest
Downloading gtest source from https://github.com/google/googletest/archive/release-1.8.1.zip
Downloading file of unknown size.
Downloading gtest patch from https://wrapdb.mesonbuild.com/v1/projects/gtest/1.8.1/1/get_zip
Download size: 2084
Downloading: ..........

|Executing subproject gtest method meson 
|
|Project name: gtest
|Project version: 1.8.1
|C++ compiler for the host machine: c++ (clang 10.0.1 "Apple LLVM version 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.4)")
|C++ linker for the host machine: APPLE ld 450.3
|Run-time dependency threads found: YES 
|Build targets in project: 1
|Subproject gtest finished.

Dependency gtest from subproject subprojects/gtest found: YES
Build targets in project: 8
Found ninja-1.9.0 at /usr/local/bin/ninja
[1/130] Generating source from 'libs/lczero-common/proto/net.proto'.
[2/130] Generating source from 'libs/lczero-common/proto/net.proto'.
[3/130] Generating source from 'libs/lczero-common/proto/net.proto'.
[4/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_version.cc.o'.
[5/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_bitboard.cc.o'.
[6/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_cache.cc.o'.
[7/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_encoder.cc.o'.
[8/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_board.cc.o'.
[9/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_node.cc.o'.
[10/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_version.cc.o'.
[11/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/meson-generated_proto_net.pb.cc.o'.
In file included from lc0_lib@sha/proto/net.pb.cc:4:
In file included from lc0_lib@sha/proto/net.pb.h:26:
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~
lc0_lib@sha/proto/net.pb.cc:79:47: note: in instantiation of template class 'google::protobuf::internal::SCCInfo<0>' requested here
                                              ^
1 warning generated.
[12/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/meson-generated_proto_net.pb.cc.o'.
In file included from lc0@exe/proto/net.pb.cc:4:
In file included from lc0@exe/proto/net.pb.h:26:
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~
lc0@exe/proto/net.pb.cc:79:47: note: in instantiation of template class 'google::protobuf::internal::SCCInfo<0>' requested here
                                              ^
1 warning generated.
[13/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_main.cc.o'.
[14/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_position.cc.o'.
[15/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_bitboard.cc.o'.
[16/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_benchmark_benchmark.cc.o'.
[17/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_engine.cc.o'.
[18/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_board.cc.o'.
[19/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_node.cc.o'.
[20/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_timemgr.cc.o'.
[21/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_engine.cc.o'.
[22/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_chess_uciloop.cc.o'.
[23/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_stoppers.cc.o'.
[24/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_benchmark_benchmark.cc.o'.
[25/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_params.cc.o'.
[26/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_factory.cc.o'.
[27/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_legacy.cc.o'.
[28/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_loader.cc.o'.
               ^
  PROTOBUF_DEPRECATED_MSG(
  ^
                                                    ^
1 warning generated.
[29/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_configfile.cc.o'.
[30/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_search.cc.o'.
[31/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_random.cc.o'.
[32/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_factory.cc.o'.
[33/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_writer.cc.o'.
[34/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_demux.cc.o'.
[35/130] Compiling C++ object 'chessboard_test@exe/subprojects_googletest-release-1.8.1_googletest_src_gtest-all.cc.o'.
[36/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_esc_codes.cc.o'.
[37/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_mux.cc.o'.
[38/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_rr.cc.o'.
[39/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_commandline.cc.o'.
[40/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_histogram.cc.o'.
[41/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_check.cc.o'.
[42/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_logging.cc.o'.
[43/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_random.cc.o'.
[44/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_transpose.cc.o'.
[45/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_fully_connected_layer.cc.o'.
[46/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_string.cc.o'.
[47/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_syzygy_syzygy.cc.o'.
[48/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_se_unit.cc.o'.
[49/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_filesystem.posix.cc.o'.
[50/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_weights_adapter.cc.o'.
[51/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_loop.cc.o'.
[52/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_game.cc.o'.
[53/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsdict.cc.o'.
[54/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_activation.cc.o'.
[55/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_winograd_filter.cc.o'.
[56/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_convolution1.cc.o'.
[57/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsparser.cc.o'.
[58/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_position.cc.o'.
[59/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_winograd_convolution3.cc.o'.
[60/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLBuffers.cc.o'.
[61/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_tournament.cc.o'.
[62/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_network_blas.cc.o'.
[63/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCL.cc.o'.
[64/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_stoppers_timemgr.cc.o'.
[65/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_chess_uciloop.cc.o'.
[66/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_stoppers_stoppers.cc.o'.
[67/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_network_opencl.cc.o'.
[68/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_params.cc.o'.
[69/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_stoppers_factory.cc.o'.
[70/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLTuner.cc.o'.
[71/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_encoder.cc.o'.
[72/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_cache.cc.o'.
[73/130] Linking target lc0.
FAILED: lc0 
c++  -o lc0 'lc0@exe/meson-generated_proto_net.pb.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_main.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_engine.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_version.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_benchmark_benchmark.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_bitboard.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_board.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_position.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_chess_uciloop.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_node.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_params.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_search.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_factory.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_stoppers.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_mcts_stoppers_timemgr.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_cache.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_encoder.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_factory.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_loader.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_check.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_demux.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_legacy.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_mux.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_random.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_network_rr.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_writer.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_game.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_loop.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_selfplay_tournament.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_syzygy_syzygy.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_commandline.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_configfile.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_esc_codes.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_histogram.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_logging.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsdict.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_optionsparser.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_random.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_string.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_transpose.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_weights_adapter.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_utils_filesystem.posix.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_convolution1.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_fully_connected_layer.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_se_unit.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_network_blas.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_blas_winograd_convolution3.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_network_opencl.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCL.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLTuner.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_opencl_OpenCLBuffers.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_activation.cc.o' 'lc0@exe/src_neural_shared_winograd_filter.cc.o' -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -Wl,-undefined,error -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names /usr/local/lib/libprotobuf.dylib -lpthread -F/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks -framework Accelerate /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework /usr/lib/libz.dylib
ld: can't map file, errno=22 file '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework' for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
[74/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_utils_logging.cc.o'.
[75/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_legacy.cc.o'.
[76/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_loader.cc.o'.
               ^
  PROTOBUF_DEPRECATED_MSG(
  ^
                                                    ^
1 warning generated.
[77/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_mcts_search.cc.o'.
[78/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_factory.cc.o'.
[79/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_random.cc.o'.
[80/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_demux.cc.o'.
[81/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_mux.cc.o'.
[82/130] Compiling C++ object 'lc0_lib@sha/src_neural_network_check.cc.o'.
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

** Yet the directory the linker can't map is there

ls /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
Headers
Modules
OpenCL.tbd
Versions

You have to use Meson 5.1.2 - not 5.2. Meson 5.2 breaks lc0 builds on any Mac. Read the immediate posts prior to your post, it discusses the error you received in detail.
littlecapa
Full name: Roger Lorenz

Post by littlecapa »

MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:45 pm
littlecapa wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Please go ahead...

Hi MikeB!

--->  Cleaning meson

/*
            << cast.kingside_rook();
        break;
      }
*/
bingo again, it compiles

~/Github/LeelaChessZero
good luck!
Hi MikeB!

Kind regards,
Littlecapa
I think you can remove Meson from brew and just compile 5.1.2 from the source on GitHub and you should be good. I did raise it as an issue on the meson Github site - if I see it gets addressed , I will post here.
Now Meson 5.3 is out. After upgrading to this version and updating the git rep, I was finally able to compile the sources.

Thanks for your support MikeB!

KR, Littlecapa
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

One easy option is to use docker on mac.
TensorRT is not supported on mac, and maybe other NN libs from nvidia too, so I use docker to run scorpio on mac.
CCCC also configures all GPU engines with docker and there doesn't seem to be any performance loss from it.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

MikeB wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:54 am
Steppenwolf wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 am Hi MikeB,

ok, I understand the Problem.Thanks for your answer.
Honestly, I do not want to go back to macOS 10.13.6.-:(

But, I saw that there is also the possiblity to use the OpenCL-Backend in Lc0.
What do you think about that? Make that sense to use this OpenCL with a good GPU power under Mojave?
We can try - let's back make sure you have a clean backup to go back to - just in case.

First step - let's install Xcode from the Mac App store:

https://developer.apple.com/xcode/resources/ ( just click on the view in Mac App Store , download and install)
Hi Mike!
Now that Apple Silicon M1 Is out, maybe LC0 0.26.3 and AlphaSubZero will benefit of the power of this ARM CPU (with Neural Network inside :-) )
On my Mac mini M1, I'm testing both, BUT using the Intel 64 bit emulation of Rosetta 2 on Windows 10 ARM under Parallels Desktop 16 M1. LC0 calculates 500 nps, AlphaSubZero 2knps, and their results aren't so bad: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-a ... e-fritz-17

Could you please help me too to compile a NATIVE macOS 11 BigSur M1 version (the SOC is the same on Macbook Air and Pro) I have trIed using
Homebrew ( https://brew.sh/ just updated to support M1) ...It makes the binary, but BanksiaGui and Hiarcs Chess Explorer say that it is not an UCI compatible engine, something is missing.

Stockfish ARM64 calculates 1.3 Mnps native versus 680 knps Intel x64 via Rosetta 2 on the same hardware (initial position) so I think that the LC0 and ASZero for CPU will be very interesting.

Best regards,
AlexChess
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1