I bought a stop-gap machine

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: I bought a stop-gap machine

Post by Dann Corbit »

Projected shipping date is 12/12/2019.
I believe that the projected delivery date was the 20th.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mphuget
Full name: Marc-Philippe HUGET

Post by mphuget »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:14 pm Well, I am about to retire Ezekiel (my 64 core box that does about 47M NPS on the Asmfish bench).
This new box will do more than twice the NPS at 1/3 of the power.
If you want to pay for crating and shipping, I would send you that machine (but keep the sound proof box).
Warning, it weighs 100KG, so the shipping would be rather high.
And the 4 1200 watt power supplies suck juice with a slurp and a burp.
These are two recent messages from my power company:

Code: Select all

Billing period Nov 16, 2019 – Dec 15, 2019 

Compared to this time last year, your electricity use is projected to be 36% higher. 

That’s 1,166 kWh more than the same time last year. 

Code: Select all

You used 83% more than your neighbors.
Efficient Neighbors 	 	 	1,240 kWh	 
All Neighbors 	 	 	1,678 kWh	 
You 	 	 	3,077 kWh	 

Oct 18, 2019 - Nov 15, 2019 
This is based on 95 similar homes an average of 1 mi from you. Efficient neighbors are the most efficient 20% of this group. 
Learn more. 
In the winter, when I run it like gangbusters, I get electric bills of $600 to $700 per month.
Winter is coming!
Guess you found your heating solution for long winter nights

mph
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:29 am Projected shipping date is 12/12/2019.
My projected shipping date is the 12/23> I realized last night when , when checking the site I ordered from, those who opted to get a window on the case ( I elected the solid aluminum side) , would get their builds faster. There must have been run on the solid aluminum side ( it was also a plus $30 item).
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

The issue with RAM is simply a lack of large compatible modules. I plan to build with 256GB, but only know of one brand with 32GB sticks currently for threadripper boards. Fortunately G.skill has announced faster large modules to ship late this month. I'm waiting for that and a couple other things that may be available early next year before pulling the trigger. Since I won't be even close to a $7k price tag I'm waiting to get everything I want. In the meantime I ran a new dedicated 20amp circuit and bought a bigger double conversion UPS so I am prepared to start annoying my electric company. :)

Dann if you don't mind me asking, what do you pay per KWH for power? I live in Nevada, and it is 9.8 cents per KWH in winter and a penny more in summer.
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

$0.107172 per KWh, so about 11 cents
Costs are based on average PSE residential rates for electric service ($. 088594 per kWh [first 600 kWh] and $0.107172 [remaining kWh]) and natural gas service ($. 97449 per therm) as of February 2013. Rates are based on usage of 1,000 kWh per month and 68 therms per month.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

That's not bad. I should move to Montana, only 4.5c there!
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

We've got this thing in our backyard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Coulee_Dam
You would think power would be dirt cheap.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:31 am We've got this thing in our backyard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Coulee_Dam
You would think power would be dirt cheap.
I would not think that, given the state in which you live. :wink:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:29 am Projected shipping date is 12/12/2019.
wow - I just got my delivery date from Velocity - 12/23. Earlier, that was my "to be shipped date".

A modernized Baby Blue is coming home for Christmas - less than 96 hours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi6rv5y07rgut ... M.png?dl=0

Even an old fart like me can get still excited with something new ... I'm guessing this will be my last PC here on earth, I'm sure in Heaven, chess will be solved and no PC required ...
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:07 am
wow - I just got my delivery date from Velocity - 12/23. Earlier, that was my "to be shipped date".

A modernized Baby Blue is coming home for Christmas - less than 96 hours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi6rv5y07rgut ... M.png?dl=0

Even an old fart like me can get still excited with something new ... I'm guessing this will be my last PC here on earth, I'm sure in Heaven, chess will be solved and no PC required ...
For those perhaps on a more modest budget, the Intel I9-10980XE might be the way to go. 50M nps for a $1000 processor looks pretty good to me. A home built system could be had for under $2k.