Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: BanksiaGUI version 0.11 released

Post by phhnguyen »

Ferdy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:03 am
I would suggest to include these 2 options in the engine option box once the engine is installed for user convenience. Although it is prefixed with UCI it does not mean that the engine option box is a bad location to put these 2 options. The user can create an engine config which may use this UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo option pair and can easily select such configuration.
Thanks for the suggestion.
BSG from 0.11 allows using UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo. If an engine is used with BSG from older versions, users may need to re-detect that engine thus BSG can recognize and save those options.
Ferdy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:03 am It is also possible to create a match or tournament where a UCI_Elo configured engine can be a participant with other engines without the UCI_LimitStrength limitation.
Yes, users can configure independently engines, including UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Hai wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:20 pm Can we get this GUI also for the iPad Pro?
BSG runs mainly on Desktop PC/OSs such as Win, Linux, macOS. It cannot run on iOS.

By the way, by iOS's policies and tech problems, an app on iOS cannot run another app inside it (when a typical chess GUI has to run an engine/another app inside it). Thus we won't see any iOS's chess GUI (which separates from engines).
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 am Can you tell me more? What is the "correct rating"? Compare to what? How BSG show that data? Thanks
I answer your question.

Referring to the post in which I wrote and asking you to correctly display the correct rating. Please see what rating shows in the "scory" tab and which one shows in the "Moves" tab. For example, on the "scory" tab it shows 15 and on the "Moves" tab +0.15. There is no such assessment 15.
Hai

Post by Hai »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:21 am
BSG runs mainly on Desktop PC/OSs such as Win, Linux, macOS. It cannot run on iOS.

By the way, by iOS's policies and tech problems, an app on iOS cannot run another app inside it (when a typical chess GUI has to run an engine/another app inside it). Thus we won't see any iOS's chess GUI (which separates from engines).
But I'm talking about iPadOS not iOS.
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

Thanks for the new chess GUI.
It looks great!

I tried the book making functions, but without succes. I choose a pgn file with my games played on internet and choose for polyglot output. I hit process but noting happens?

Maybe I do something wrong?
How can I reset the default settings for bookmaking? Or the default settings for Banksia GUI in general?

I see it should be possible to choose for output of the book, the pgn format. I like this idea a lot! Because there is no efficient way to convert a bin book to pgn format right now.

I see there is also a possibility to merge books. But that only works with Polyglot bin books. It should be nice if this was also possible with the books when chosen for pgn format, (for the output).

GRT
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:34 am
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 am Can you tell me more? What is the "correct rating"? Compare to what? How BSG show that data? Thanks
I answer your question.

Referring to the post in which I wrote and asking you to correctly display the correct rating. Please see what rating shows in the "scory" tab and which one shows in the "Moves" tab. For example, on the "scory" tab it shows 15 and on the "Moves" tab +0.15. There is no such assessment 15.
Thanks, I am clear now. Those numbers differ from units. In Engine info dock panel, scores are using centipawn, 15 = 15 centipawn. In Moves dock panel, scores are using pawn, 0.15 = 0.15 pawn = 15 centipawn.

I agree with your suggestion, I will add an option/choice and/or some help thus users can understand those numbers and display them more consistently.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Hai wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 am
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:21 am

But I'm talking about iPadOS not iOS.
I don't up to date about iPadOS nor have any iPad pro. However, based on the logic that iPadOS is developed from iOS I guess it is the same (correct me if I am wrong): we cannot have chess GUIs and engines separately as we have on desktop computers. Basically to have a chess app on iPadOS/iOS developers have to integrate chess GUI code and engines' code then compile them all in one to create a unique app.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Feature Requests:

- Support for font-based piece sets
- Display a logo and Elo in clock area
- Pause/Restart Tournaments later

Appreciate your great work, Hong Pham.

P.S. What do the options in "Shuffle" mean (None,Players,Games, Carousel)? In my tournaments, it seems weird if its round robin for example, and one engine plays 4 games, then another plays a few or whatever...seems kinda random.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Jonathan003 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am Thanks for the new chess GUI.
It looks great!

I tried the book making functions, but without succes. I choose a pgn file with my games played on internet and choose for polyglot output. I hit process but noting happens?

Maybe I do something wrong?
How can I reset the default settings for bookmaking? Or the default settings for Banksia GUI in general?

I see it should be possible to choose for output of the book, the pgn format. I like this idea a lot! Because there is no efficient way to convert a bin book to pgn format right now.
To build an opening book we need a database first. You may create your own database from PGN games, get from other people or download them. For quick trying, you may download one. Go menu -> Tools -> Download to open download dialog as below:

Just enter a folder for "save to folder" then click on the first Download button to download GM2001. It is a good, big database and good source for creating opening books. (The second database "Problem 01" is not suitable for creating books since its games started from endgames, not from starting board).

After downloading the database, you may open it to check a bit by menu -> Tools -> Database to open dialog as below:

If you can see games in the database, the database is good and ready for creating books.

Go menu -> Tools -> Create Opening to open below dialog. Fill in database path and path of your new book, select book type and hit Process then wait a bit (ignore all other options).

Please try and tell me if you see any problem.
Jonathan003 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am I see there is also a possibility to merge books. But that only works with Polyglot bin books. It should be nice if this was also possible with the books when chosen for pgn format, (for the output).

GRT
Merging PGN, EDP books is in my TODO list, I will implement soon. Thanks
Ferdy

Re: BanksiaGUI version 0.11 released

Post by Ferdy »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:12 am
Ferdy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:03 am
I would suggest to include these 2 options in the engine option box once the engine is installed for user convenience. Although it is prefixed with UCI it does not mean that the engine option box is a bad location to put these 2 options. The user can create an engine config which may use this UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo option pair and can easily select such configuration.
Thanks for the suggestion.
BSG from 0.11 allows using UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo. If an engine is used with BSG from older versions, users may need to re-detect that engine thus BSG can recognize and save those options.
I tried a new engine installation (Rhetoric) on v0.11 alpha. This engine supports UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo options. But those options are still not shown in engine options box. Please see image below.

Console:

Code: Select all

Rhetoric 1.4.3 x64 UCI by Alberto Sanjuan, Spain
uci
id name Rhetoric 1.4.3 x64
id author Alberto Sanjuan
id country Spain
option name Hash type spin min 4 max 1024 default 128
option name Clear Hash type button
option name Use Log File type check
option name MultiPV type spin min 1 max 4 default 1
option name Material type spin min 50 max 200 default 100