Cstal DOS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

Cstal DOS

Post by Robert Flesher »

For those who have not tried this fantastic old program. It runs perfectly under Dfend.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/chess-system-tal-boc
karger
Full name: John Karger

Re: Cstal DOS

Post by karger »

Aren't you posting a link to software that is a commercial product , it is not freeware or open source. Just because it is on an abandonware site does not make it legal to share. I do not believe Talkchess supports the sharing of commercial products for free. You should consider removing the link you posted.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

karger wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:20 pm Aren't you posting a link to software that is a commercial product , it is not freeware or open source. Just because it is on an abandonware site does not make it legal to share. I do not believe Talkchess supports the sharing of commercial products for free. You should consider removing the link you posted.

I am not sure, if that is the case the mods can remove it.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Where can one buy it?
karger

Post by karger »

Nice try at baiting , oxyron
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

What is your problem ? If you don't like it, you can just get the fuck out of it. :x :evil:
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

The forum I mean.
karger

Post by karger »

LOL
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Ovyron wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:55 am Where can one buy it?

put this in your search field - "chess system tal 2 download". Some versions are freeware supposedly. I am not promoting piracy. I am just relating something I found by doing a simple search. Thorsten would know way more about this than me.I was fortunate enough to be exposed to Chris when he was testing it so I got sent a version. I had many bloody battles against ferret with it. They were very interesting but ferret usually stomped my hiney in the games. Ferret was a very strong engine. Aggressive,attacking but accurate,always pushing you,great in the endgame. It really had no flaws in my opinion.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Yes CSTal dos is a nice program.
It shows a lot of engine information about tree and evaluation.

Of course it was made for playing against humans.

If you let it play against other engines you have to make sure the other engines are as old as CSTal, otherwise CSTal cannot hit because it is outsearched.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....