Question to GUI creators/software creators!!?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PeterO

Question to GUI creators/software creators!!?

Post by PeterO »

Hello chess GUI creators/software creators!

Do you know the Millenium Chess Genius exclusive? Its a wooden chessboard - better than the DGT board - using LED’S! Via bluetooth modul you can connect it to your PC and play an ICI engine on a beautiful wooden board!

Homepage: https://computerchess.com/en/chesslink-3/

„Dear creators:This being an open system, the specifications are released to any interested developers worldwide. The MILLENNIUM interface code can be integrated into any GUI, e.g. Android or Apple iOS smartphones and tablets, as well as Windows or Apple Computers.“

There is also a Python library for easy integration in chess software.

https://github.com/domschl/python-mchess

Can YOU integrate this in YOUR GUI?

Peter
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Question to GUI creators/software creators!!?

Post by hgm »

I would recommend a more modular approach: just write a driver masking as an engine. Such a pseudo-engine could then be used on any GUI.

Many things could already be done that way even in completely unmodified GUIs. E.g. you could play against an engine in Two Machines mode, where the board (= you!) is one of the engines. Or you could play on FICS in zippy mode, with the board as engine.

GUIs that want to offer more (e.g. allowing the board to play for both sides when it is used as second 'engine' in analyze mode) would only have to support a few more engine->GUI commands (or existing commands in modes where they otherwise would not be expected). E.g. In WinBoard you can already analyze with two engines, which then of course normally would never move, but I would make WinBoard accept 'move' (and 'undo') commands from the second engine in analysis mode (no matter which side is on move). The board driver would emit such command when it is put in analyze mode, and the user moves a piece.

That way GUI developers would never have to worry about the details of the board driver, like they don't have to worry about the AI in an engine.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi,

I think you are perfectly right!
But who can write such a driver masking as an engine?

Peter
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Peter
Lars Nowak has produced a driver for the Certabo electronic chess boards similar to what Mr Muller has suggested to you with a pseudo-engine and it works with a variety of chess GUI's.
Maybe Lars can help you?
Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Brian,

thanks for your suggestion.
I have asked Lars already on saturday! :D
He didnt really answer if he wants to try it. So I thought I could ask here in the forum!
Frankly speaking I dont know how much work it is! ??? :?:

Peter