Smoothing SF progress of nextchessmove

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Smoothing SF progress of nextchessmove

Post by Vinvin »

I like to look at https://nextchessmove.com/dev-builds where you can find 20000 test games of the latest SF builds.
But the curve still irregular, so I made a smoothing in Excel : for each version I took the average of the 10 previous ratings. (+ a linear regression inside Excel on the dash line).
The curve start with Stockfish 10 ( 20181129-1445).

Nice to view !
Jouni

Re: Smoothing SF progress of nextchessmove

Post by Jouni »

Definitely average or more games is needed there! It's always funny when "Update Readme.md" gaves +5 ELO :D !
Jouni
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

The 100 elo regression patch in March is marring the curve. Otherwise, the averaging makes it much nicer. :)
Vinvin

Post by Vinvin »

Updated :
From SF 10 (20181129-1445) to SF 11 (20200118-0044)
Buggy version "20190405-1837" is removed to make a clean graph.

Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I guess that even with the bad version the correlation coefficient is very close to 1, which means the progression is very nearly linear.
Since Elo is exponential, this is excellent evidence of constantly having exponential progress in the strength of Stockfish.
That is really pretty amazing.
Too bad our salaries don't do that.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Post by Raphexon »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:17 pm I guess that even with the bad version the correlation coefficient is very close to 1, which means the progression is very nearly linear.
Since Elo is exponential, this is excellent evidence of constantly exponential progress in the strength of Stockfish.
That is really pretty amazing.
Too bad our salaries don't do that.
Year by year few % growth is exponential.
So your salary probably does show exponential growth.
But prices also go up exponentially.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I'm paid pretty well, but a graph of my salary over time won't look like the SF Elo graph.
Mine would look more like a square root function, where it rapidly rose after college for a few years then rose more and more slowly.
I do agree that even 0.05% interest growth per year would be exponential. But the constant in the exponent not nearly so desirable as the constant in the SF graph
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Raphexon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:19 pm But prices also go up exponentially.
This is by design, if everyone's salary goes up, there's more demand, and not enough supply, so to fix that you increase the price of the supply, and we're back to how we started. The problem is the accumulation of wealth by people that already had wealth, and since their wealth increases faster than people's salary, prices seem to go up faster than salaries.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

Could we get an updated graph ? :)
Vinvin

Post by Vinvin »

Alayan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 pm Could we get an updated graph ? :)
Sure !