enjoy the paper - :-)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

enjoy the paper - :-)

Post by smcracraft »

Albert Silver

Re: enjoy the paper - :-)

Post by Albert Silver »

smcracraft wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:44 am https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.01815.pdf
You may be interested to know there is an updated version of the paper, published about a year later in Science magazine. There is also an open source project dedicated to the recreation of AlphaZero called Leela Chess Zero.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
smcracraft

Post by smcracraft »

Rofl.

Miss Leela is my chess sparring partner for quite a while now.

I recommend you install and use banksiagui.com for her front-end as Miss Leela hasn't applied her makeup until Banksia joined her.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Do you live in a cave so as to discover the existence of this paper in 2020 ?!
I am sure people here have talked about it the day after it was published on arxiv ...
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

smcracraft wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 pm Rofl.

Miss Leela is my chess sparring partner for quite a while now.

I recommend you install and use banksiagui.com for her front-end as Miss Leela hasn't applied her makeup until Banksia joined her.
If you are so familiar with it, then it begs the question why you are showing a paper that was debated to DEATH here, for obvious reasons, and where Leela is the topic of the vast majority of the threads in CCC for a long time now. Leela Chess has been in existence for a good two years now, and as it only exists because of those papers, you can surmise the papers are well-known.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
smcracraft

Post by smcracraft »

Because, Mr. Silver, I don't read this board often.

I am NOT FOND of the phpBB interface.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If that causes you to run two years behind the fact, you might wonder whether this is a sensible policy...
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

smcracraft wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 am Because, Mr. Silver, I don't read this board often.

That's fine, but it doesn't explain why you thought that the paper had somehow not been seen, noticed, or read, by literally everyone in the computer chess world within a week after its release, much less over two years later. AlphaZero was the highest profile computer chess news since Deep Blue bar none, and Leela, which you made clear you knew well, is used by most players, and only exists because of the papers (plural). The actual final paper I linked you to, and published over a year ago, brings additional information on the project. The most recent development really is MuZero. Still, if you are interested in the numerous follow-ups on the topic, I recommend using the search at Arxiv.org and looking up "AlphaZero", "Alphago", and "DeepMind".
ernest

Post by ernest »

smcracraft wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 am Because, Mr. Silver, I don't read this board often.

You seem to focus on form rather than on substance ! :P