Fritz 17 - Buyer beware..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnW

Fritz 17 - Buyer beware..

Post by JohnW »

I thought I would share the strange behavior Fritz 17's tournament feature has displayed for me over the past week or so.
The other day I ran a small Swiss tournament and let it run while I was doing other things. I came back later to check on the results and the winner of the tournament had played only 2 engines in a 4 cycle event, playing one of them 3 times in a row. Winning all 3 times.

Then this morning I setup a small knockout tournament. It ran fine for a while and then I looked over and one of the engines is playing itself in a knockout tournament??! :shock:

Anyway, just thought I would pass this info along to anyone considering the purchase of Fritz 17..
Albert Silver

Re: Fritz 17 - Buyer beware..

Post by Albert Silver »

JohnW wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:42 pm I thought I would share the strange behavior Fritz 17's tournament feature has displayed for me over the past week or so.
The other day I ran a small Swiss tournament and let it run while I was doing other things. I came back later to check on the results and the winner of the tournament had played only 2 engines in a 4 cycle event, playing one of them 3 times in a row. Winning all 3 times.

Then this morning I setup a small knockout tournament. It ran fine for a while and then I looked over and one of the engines is playing itself in a knockout tournament??! :shock:

Anyway, just thought I would pass this info along to anyone considering the purchase of Fritz 17..
If you ran into a bug and it is reproducible, you should report it to ChessBase (info@chessbase.com).
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Albert Silver wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:57 pm
JohnW wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:42 pm I thought I would share the strange behavior Fritz 17's tournament feature has displayed for me over the past week or so.

If you ran into a bug and it is reproducible, you should report it to ChessBase (info@chessbase.com).
Yes, I sent an email to their support department for both issues.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Albert Silver wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:57 pm

My fritz 17 just had a update to 6 not long ago. I have not seen any issues in Engine matches, or Tournament matches. And I run them 24/7. Maybe something got broke on his update?
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

By the way, what is the download link for the Fritz GUI updates, does anybody know?
(I know you can also update straight through the GUI if you have a live internet connection)

For CB updates, I can use a download link such as:

http://download.chessbase.com/updates/C ... x64_18.txt

where I can replace the '18' with whatever the latest update number is.

I'm not sure what the corresponding link would be for Fritz updates.

thanks,
Carl
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

carldaman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 am By the way, what is the download link for the Fritz GUI updates, does anybody know?
(I know you can also update straight through the GUI if you have a live internet connection)

thanks,
Carl
The GUI itself lets my know about updates. And I use the GUI to update. Click file, activation, update program. At the top left header.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

mwyoung wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:10 am
carldaman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 am By the way, what is the download link for the Fritz GUI updates, does anybody know?

thanks,
Carl
The GUI itself lets my know about updates. And I use the GUI to update. Click file, activation, update program. At the top left header.
Thanks, I do the same here, but I also have computers that are offline. Having the update file itself is really useful if reinstalling all the software later on a rebuilt box.
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

thanks,
Carl
Here's the newest updates:

http://download.chessbase.com/updates/G ... x86_6.txt
http://download.chessbase.com/updates/G ... x64_6.txt
http://download.chessbase.com/updates/G ... n10_6.txt
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Thanks a lot cc, that's exactly what I was looking for!
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

carldaman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 pm Thanks a lot cc, that's exactly what I was looking for!
You're welcome :D