Problems with access to TalkChess.com

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Problems with access to TalkChess.com

Post by Ovyron »

I can live with that. What I dislike is that after the forum update, if that happens when you're sending a post, you might lose it forever. With the old software the browser would save what you sent, you could always hit refresh and resubmit the form, but here, I've had resorted to copying my whole message before sending, then saving it to a text file while Talkchess comes back, because otherwise, the message is just gone...
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

chrisw wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 am
Laskos wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 am
chrisw wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 am
crem wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:19 am
chrisw wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:18 pm
Ovyron wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 pm I think it's a general problem, if you can't access it, nobody can access it.

When that happens I recommend clicking this link:

Is Talkchess down?

If it's down for everyone it'll tell you so.
No, It was a NL problem, or some providers in NL, other parts of the world worked fine.
Either this site was taking out widespread NL addresses, or some NL providers were blocking this site.
I've heard about 403 forbidden problem from 5 people already, from diverse locations around the world. While for most people it works fine..
ah, right, ok, I thought this was referring to the NL outage of a few days ago, but the OP postdata suggests its a new case. I should have checked more carefully.
I get periodic 404/403 outages on this site over several years, sometimes they last a while. Other people still have access fine. Either it is a) I get deliberately blocked by the site, or b) there's some sort of screw up with cookies because sometimes resetting all cookies fixes it, or c) for some reason the providers are either locked out, or are locking out the site.
Well, it's an unsecure site to start with. I hope no "buddies" here or elsewhere meddle with our IPs while browsing or posting here. Maybe I will start accessing it only via VPN even if the problem is fixed. As you know, I can be very "weird" (you too :lol:) on CTF, and some may take it personally.
well, you probably remember the threat made to me some time ago on that front
Yes.
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

WinPooh wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:57 pm Can't access TalkChess.com, receiving the following message:

403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Problem started a week or two ago, doesn't depend on browser/OS/Internet provider.
This message is written via Opera VPN, which is the only way for me now.
Any help, please?
YMC&G hosting provider restricted a number of IP address ranges for security reasons a few weeks ago, which inadvertently blocked members from NL and a few other places. I sent the Dutch addresses and they modified the firewall. PM me the affected IP (x out the fourth quad if you're paranoid) or send to tcadmin@verizon.net; alternatively try relaying through an unblocked address range, VPN, etc.

-Sam-