Can nobody compile Roden IV?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

xr_a_y

Re: Can nobody compile Roden IV?

Post by xr_a_y »

I don't know much about rodent personalities, so I let you investigate that.

Minic is another chess engine to play with.

Regards
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

Much better. Nice 32-bit compile. Thanks!

Peter, the personality file can be set through the PersonalityFile tag in the UCI setup dialog. I just noticed a small but embarrassing bug in CfA where the "default.txt" is parsed as ".txt" due to assuming "default" belongs to the UCI option syntax, so I would not rely on the default, but change it into some more descriptive personality file name.

Code: Select all

$ ./rodentIV_android                                                                                                                               
uci
id name Rodent IV 022 32-bit/CLANG 9.0.8 (https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/llvm-project 207d7abc1a2abf3ef8d4301736d6a7ebc224a290)
id author Pawel Koziol (based on Sungorus 1.4 by Pablo Vazquez)
option name Clear Hash type button
option name Hash type spin default 16 min 1 max 4096
option name Threads type spin default 1 min 1 max 48
option name MultiPV type spin default 1 min 1 max 12
option name TimeBuffer type spin default 10 min 0 max 1000
option name UCI_LimitStrength type check default true
option name PrintPv type check default true
option name Taunting type check default false
option name UCI_Elo type spin default 2800 min 800 max 2800
option name PersonalityFile type string default default.txt
option name Verbose type check default false
option name Ponder type check default false
option name UseBook type check default true
option name VerboseBook type check default false
option name MobilityRebalancing type check default false
uciok
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

can I create a new folder „Rodent IV“ and put the rodent engine in this folder AND a peronality.txt
- for example: peter.txt

And just type peter.txt in the UCI options?

Peter
abik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 pm can I create a new folder „Rodent IV“ and put the rodent engine in this folder AND a peronality.txt
- for example: peter.txt
In general you two choices (I did not see the full rodent code, but the absolute path support seems at least there).
Let's assume you start with peter.txt somewhere on the SDcard, with path "/sdcard/Personalities/peter.txt"

"Relative path"
You can put peter.txt at the same place as the engine. In CfA this means that you apply the "Install engine from SD" to the peter.txt file (navigate into Personality and select peter.txt). This is counter-intuitive, since peter.txt is not an engine, but it means that the rodent binary and peter.txt end up in the same directory. From that point on, just specifying peter.txt for the PersonalityFile tag will most likely work.

"Absolute path"
Supply the full, absolute path to the PersonalityFile tag. In my sample case /sdcard/Personalities/peter.txt.

Let me know if either or both approaches work for you (on some devices you need more complex names for /sdcard but let's not go there yet).
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

1.Relative path: Does not work I can not Install engine from SD" to the peter.txt file.
2. I can install engine from SD - rodent IV for android and choose absolute path to the PersonalityFile /sdcard/Personalities/peter.txt.

But I can NOT say if the engine that is running is the „normal“ rodent IV engine or the personality I have chosen.
I can say, that the personality file does NOT use the opening book defined in the personality file.

In the personality file (***.txt) the book is always defined in 2 parts. The GuideBook and the MainBook.
Example:
setoption name GuideBookFile value players/movsziszian.bin
setoption name MainBookFile value players/movsziszian.bin (in this case I wanted the engine to play always the openings from Mr. Movsziszian - but you can set DIFFERENT books if you want).

I suppose the android engine/gui can NOT find the opening books in the folder „players“ and I have to set the absulutely path - right?
In the uci options do i have to use USE BOOK or VERBOSE BOOK?

Peter
abik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:47 pm 1.Relative path: Does not work I can not Install engine from SD" to the peter.txt file.
2. I can install engine from SD - rodent IV for android and choose absolute path to the PersonalityFile /sdcard/Personalities/peter.txt.
Can you please give a bit more details. "Does not work" is very vague. Why can't you install peter.txt. As for opening books, the same applies. You can use relative paths in they reside "parallel to the engine" in the directory structure. Otherwise you will need to give an absolute path.

Can you send me the peter.txt please? I can debug this a bit more for you.
camava
Full name: mario varela

Post by camava »

Hi,i have this personalities files.
It can be used with Rodent lV.
https://mega.nz/#!5R4zxIxY!DeAqQL-yrdBi ... rdT-o-xeUc
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

camava wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:14 am Hi,i have this personalities files.
It can be used with Rodent lV.
https://mega.nz/#!5R4zxIxY!DeAqQL-yrdBi ... rdT-o-xeUc
Actually no.

Rodent III personalities cannot be used with Rodent IV as far as I know.
PeterO

Re: Can nobody compile Roden IV

Post by PeterO »

Right Brendan,

Its a pitty because of your GREAT engine personalties you composed!!
But Rodent IV is MUCH better than Rodent III because you can chose the personality AND set the elo strengh!
Because of this you can create a Karpov Personality that plays at full strengh - or set the elo to elo 1800 and play „Little Karpov“ :D

Because of this reasons:
1. Chosing between ENDLESS personalities
2. Easy possibility to create a new personality
3. Setting the elo to the strengh you want
4. With Aart Biks PHANTASTIC app I can play on a big wooden Board (Millenium Chess Genius Exclusive).

This engine is PERFECT for self-player!!

Brendan I LOVE you work very much! Your „Grandmaster in a box“ idea is great. Will you create some new BABIES for RODENT IV?

Peter
odyn1982
Full name: Mariusz Jankowski

Post by odyn1982 »

xr_a_y wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:45 am
xr_a_y wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 am
PeterO wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:13 pm I am using android 9.
App: „Chess for Android“ - doesnt work.
:(

Peter
I did two mistake, can you retry with this https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqs6i9jexbs3t ... droid?dl=0

This is a static compile for ARM
Sorry : https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqs6i9jexbs3t ... droid?dl=0
Thank you for a great job. I have one request: Could you shorten the name of the engine?
It's too long

Code: Select all

Rodent IV 022 32-bit/CLANG 9.0.8(https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/llvm-project 207d7abc1a2abf3ef8d4301736d6a7ebc224a290)
and Lichess mobile app has a problem with this.

Also: is this a 64 bit build?