New computer chess forum

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Collingwood
Full name: .

Re: New computer chess forum

Post by Collingwood »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:29 am It's odd that the forum had a system that allows you to add people to a list and then not have to see their posts anymore, he filled it up and that wasn't enough. Let's hope one month from now Guenther's forum doesn't look like a ghost town, unless that makes a more tolerant Guenther come back here.
Let's hope he does not come crawling back here.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Perhaps some explanation abot TalkChess' real-name policy:

It is true that it is difficult to verify someone's on-line identity, and TalkChess never did that. But all members had both a 'real name' and an alias, the latter mostly for convenience during logon. Strangely enough the old phpBB software did show the aliases when quoting (but used real names on posting); I always thought this was a bug; everyone quickly learned that "bob" stood for "Robert Hyatt", but when a less-frequent poster was quoted you were sometimes completely in the dark as to who you were dealing with.

Unfortunately phpBB 3 did not support the real-name feature anymore, and it seems all real names were even lost from the database in the upgrade process. The tcAdmin (Sam) is in charge of new registrations, and has to accept these manually; I think he added a real-name field to the registration process and the user database. I don't know exactly what Sam's policy is, but I hope he does require an (alas unverifiable) real name to be supplied before he endorses a registration. (We have some dozen of registration requests each day, and they are virtually all spam bots, it seems.) But that didn't solve the problem for the existing users. Short of banning everyone from posting who has not specified a real name, and only lift the ban once they have edited their profile to supply it, I see no way how this could be enforced.

For Bob and me I added a few statements in the JavaScript post-processor that I put in some forum sections to display FENs as diagrams, which do convert our aliases to our real names after the pages get loaded.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

I think the big advantage for NN / pseudo names will be:
I am faster ready with reading the forum because I never read messages, posted by people used pseudo names!

With the result that I have more time for my hobby chess.
At the moment I am reading here 2-5 minutes per week with the tendence maybe end of the year 1-3 minutes per week.

Best
Frank
Henk

Post by Henk »

Greetings from Sam the Eagle
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

hgm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:05 am For Bob and me I added a few statements in the JavaScript post-processor that I put in some forum sections to display FENs as diagrams, which do convert our aliases to our real names after the pages get loaded.
Ah, that would explain why I see your name change from hgm to H.G.Muller as a page is loading.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

It's not the forum, it's some of the people.
It's like saying the politicians suck! But wait where do the politicians come from?
They don't come from another planet, from another galaxy.
They come from countryX's homes, countryX's parents, countryX's schools, countryX's churches, countryX's businesses, countryX's universities and are elected by countryX's citizens. So maybe it's not the politicians that suck, maybe it's something else that sucks, like the public.
There is an even better explanation than the one I just gave, but it's too much for people to take, so I better stop here.

countryX's -> insert your country here