Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zenmastur

Re: Zenmastur vs Ovyron No it's not another GROB!

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:59 am I've been having Blue Screens Of Death recently, due to overheating, and it had gotten so severe that I had to stick to using only 3 cores of my CPU. But I'm glad I never lost analysis because of them.
Have you ever bothered cleaning your computer? I do it once or twice a year.

Of course, I know you have NEVER considered upgrading your hardware. That would be WAAAAYYYY TOO EASY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:37 am Have you ever bothered cleaning your computer? I do it once or twice a year.
I have to do it monthly. It's kind of worrying to continue to overheat after the dust is gone.
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:37 amOf course, I know you have NEVER considered upgrading your hardware. That would be WAAAAYYYY TOO EASY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Imagine that I upgrade my hardware and then I play moves like 2.f4? in this game, a move so bad you're struggling to find a single position where white gains the edge! If faster hardware makes people do that it's more of a DOWNGRADE! :P
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:41 am
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:37 am Have you ever bothered cleaning your computer? I do it once or twice a year.
I have to do it monthly. It's kind of worrying to continue to overheat after the dust is gone.

I'm not worried even a little bit.
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:41 am Imagine that I upgrade my hardware and then I play moves like 2.f4? in this game, a move so bad you're struggling to find a single position where white gains the edge! If faster hardware makes people do that it's more of a DOWNGRADE! :P
Imagine that you don't upgrade your hardware and people give you gifts but your hardware is so weak you give them back on the very next move because you can't tell the difference!

Now, imagine if your CPU/MB/Memory all take a dump at once because it's too old. I guess you'll just start using your phone :shock: :shock: :shock:

No big surprise there now is there?

How much storage do you have on your phone anyway? Is it enough to handle all your chess data and TB's?

Oh.....that's right...you can use the cloud. I almost forgot :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm sure you'll figure out some way to gimp yourself.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 am I'm not worried even a little bit.
I never expected you to be worried about someone else's computer :roll:
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 am Imagine that you don't upgrade your hardware and people give you gifts but your hardware is so weak you give them back on the very next move because you can't tell the difference!
You have shown no signs that YOU can tell the difference. You have shown no signs that you can play better than me so all your hardware does is sitting there pretty while I yawn at your attempts to "complicate" the positions.

And finally, if the position is 0.00, and white started with some advantage, no matter what you say about 3...d6, your 2.f4 was logically worse (it was as bad as my 3...d6, but worse because you have to subtract white's advantage that was lost. I.e. if 3...d6 was as bad as 2.f4 then you'd be back to your advantage on the starting position, but you're at 0.00.) You have no idea about the kind of positions you'd need to play to get someone with slow hardware in a disadvantageous position.

Funnily enough, had I known you were an inferior opponent I'd have played the Sicilian, so it was either 1...e5 3...d6 playing it simple or 1...c5 playing for a win. There's no universe where I allowed you to play anything that I could have lost.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 am
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 am I'm not worried even a little bit.
I never expected you to be worried about someone else's computer :roll:
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 am Imagine that you don't upgrade your hardware and people give you gifts but your hardware is so weak you give them back on the very next move because you can't tell the difference!
You have shown no signs that YOU can tell the difference.
Well, one of us had to notice the difference or we wouldn't be having this conversation! :P :P :P
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 am And finally, if the position is 0.00, ....
Is this an admission that you don't know what the evaluation of the position is? You have stated that ANY SANE person would prefer black and right afterwards you said that black has nothing. From what I can tell you don't have a clue what the evaluation is. I think you're listening to WAY TOO much Here-say evidence from the audience. Why don't you make up your own mind?
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 am ...and white started with some advantage, no matter what you say about 3...d6, your 2.f4 was logically worse (it was as bad as my 3...d6, but worse because you have to subtract white's advantage that was lost. I.e. if 3...d6 was as bad as 2.f4 then you'd be back to your advantage on the starting position, but you're at 0.00.)

Are you sure that the evaluation is 0.00 or 2.f4 was logically worse than 3. ... d6 ? Because I'm not so sure that I didn't give you a win on move 2 so if it's a draw right now you gave it back so that would make them equal blunders unless you think white has a winning advantage by having the first move. In short, I think you have outdone yourself in your ability to rationalize your own shortcomings. Wouldn't it just be easier to admit you blundered on your third move and be done with it? There is no need for you to stress over it and all this hand wringing is pitiful, next you'll start with self-incriminations and who knows where that will lead. Next thing you know you'll wake up in the psych ward of some sanitarium! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 am You have no idea about the kind of positions you'd need to play to get someone with slow hardware in a disadvantageous position.

Funnily enough, had I known you were an inferior opponent I'd have played the Sicilian, so it was either 1...e5 3...d6 playing it simple or 1...c5 playing for a win. There's no universe where I allowed you to play anything that I could have lost.
No doubt you were thinking the same thing right before you lost that 1.g4 game!
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 am Well, one of us had to notice the difference or we wouldn't be having this conversation! :P :P :P
Stealing a page from Zullil's book: 3...d6, 3...g5 and even 3...Nf6 are all the same. Just 0.00. There's no gift.
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amIs this an admission that you don't know what the evaluation of the position is? You have stated that ANY SANE person would prefer black and right afterwards you said that black has nothing. From what I can tell you don't have a clue what the evaluation is.
For clarity:

-The evaluation is 0.00

-Any sane person from the audience would pick the black side (0.00 doesn't mean that you'd not prefer one side. The Marshall Counter-Gambit is also 0.00, but any sane person would pick the white side on there)

-Black has nothing on the KGA (in general)
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amI'm not so sure that I didn't give you a win on move 2
You're invited to investigate in a future game, where you use your 70 files to fight 1 of my files with >50000 lines analyzed.
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amNo doubt you were thinking the same thing right before you lost that 1.g4 game!
Harvey would bust your 1.g4 so fast that you'd go and buy faster hardware in a hurry thinking it would be of any help! :mrgreen:

Meanwhile you don't even know what to play in the current position, while I know what your next 6 moves will be!
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 am Well, one of us had to notice the difference or we wouldn't be having this conversation! :P :P :P
Stealing a page from Zullil's book: 3...d6, 3...g5 and even 3...Nf6 are all the same. Just 0.00. There's no gift.
Then why are we having this conversation?
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amIs this an admission that you don't know what the evaluation of the position is? You have stated that ANY SANE person would prefer black and right afterwards you said that black has nothing. From what I can tell you don't have a clue what the evaluation is.
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am For clarity:

-The evaluation is 0.00
So you admit that the position is equal?
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am -Any sane person from the audience would pick the black side (0.00 doesn't mean that you'd not prefer one side. The Marshall Counter-Gambit is also 0.00, but any sane person would pick the white side on there)
Then why would anyone ever play the Marshall as black? If that were really true you would never see the Marshall played.
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am -Black has nothing on the KGA (in general)
Is that your opinion or did you read it in a book?
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amI'm not so sure that I didn't give you a win on move 2
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 amYou're invited to investigate in a future game, where you use your 70 files to fight 1 of my files with >50000 lines analyzed.
I might consider that at a later date.
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amNo doubt you were thinking the same thing right before you lost that 1.g4 game!
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am Harvey would bust your 1.g4 so fast that you'd go and buy faster hardware in a hurry thinking it would be of any help! :mrgreen:
No he wouldn't because I'm smart enough to know it's a loss from move one. Unlike some people I know.
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am Meanwhile you don't even know what to play in the current position, while I know what your next 6 moves will be!
Not a single one of my moves have changed since you played 3. ... d6 and I played 4.d4. I correctly identified every single move you have made since then even though I hadn't done any analysis on the game until yesterday evening. So if we're keeping score you're behind. Not that I would ever announce what I thought my opponent would play since it serves no purpose. Other than a cheap parlor trick that any CC player worth their salt could perform but doesn't as they also know it serves no purpose.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:14 am Then why are we having this conversation?
Because the actual gift was giving you white on this game. I could have insisted about having white, to have an interesting game because being first could have compensated my slower hardware, or whatever. What I wanted was giving you white with an advantage and then for you to keep increasing it along with the position's complexity so that drawing you would mean something.

Instead I got the easiest game I've had for what now is the last 13 months...
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amSo you admit that the position is equal?
0.00 doesn't mean equality. One side could have the easier way finding its moves, while the other struggles to know what to play, like you're doing right now.
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amThen why would anyone ever play the Marshall as black? If that were really true you would never see the Marshall played.
Are you serious now? :shock:

This is elementary stuff, you play the Marshall as black because it's 0.00 and the rest of the alternatives give white an edge. Do'h!
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amIs that your opinion or did you read it in a book?
I wrote a book about it and kept it to myself :P

That you'd need to throw so many resources to the position to figure out black can't win in the KGA if white defends correctly speaks volumes! I've been analyzing the KGA since 2009, there's my Forum games at Rybka forum that show 11 years of experience on it. You sound as if you've never analyzed 3.Bc4 before, I'm miles ahead of you!
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 am I might consider that at a later date.
Me too. Mainly, if I end defeating you on this game I'd certainly lose interest :P
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amNo he wouldn't because I'm smart enough to know it's a loss from move one. Unlike some people I know.
What happened with all the preparation you were building to try to defend 1.g4 then? I guess you did it for fun?
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 amNot a single one of my moves have changed since you played 3. ... d6 and I played 4.d4. I correctly identified every single move you have made since then even though I hadn't done any analysis on the game until yesterday evening.
Who cares? The point is you've yet to do ANYTHING that I couldn't replicate with my slow hardware. I could have played all your white moves so far, and much faster, and I would have certainly played better by avoiding 2.f4? a move that by your own admission could be losing!

Anyway, I haven't had this much fun trash-talking since 2014, so at least from that department this game is delivering. Good stuff :mrgreen:
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

0.00 doesn't mean one side isn't better. It means the advantage is small enough that the worse side can still force a draw, and the search showing the 0.00 is deep enough to suggest this. As we know, the draw margin in chess is big.

While 0.00 is a single point in static eval ; for deep search eval it's more of a band. If you're worse and keep getting better, there will be a stop at 0.00 where the eval doesn't change but the position continue to improve. After enough improvements, you'll break on the other side of the 0.00 band.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

<snipped>
Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am
Meanwhile you don't even know what to play in the current position, while I know what your next 6 moves will be!
I guess that white already has a drawing line but analyze some alternatives because white plays for a win.