Stockfish Polyglot now violates the GPL

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Adam Hair

Re: Stockfish Polyglot now violates the GPL

Post by Adam Hair »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:56 pm
Modern Times wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:28 am I'd call this making a mountain out of a molehill.
So the source was requested and never given. What is the GPL good for?
If you wanted to make a point about GPL being irrelevant, you would do much better to point out the actual violations associate with Stockfish Polyglot rather than a non-existent request for the source. You never asked kramnik for the code.

As for the general indifference to kramnik violating Stockfish's licensing, we both know it is due to the fact that kramnik is not hiding the origins or nature of his work. He has been quite clear about what it is.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Robert Pope wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:38 am Did you ask for the source and were refused? GPL doesn't require source to be published on the web, just provided on request.
GPL 3.0 section 6d requires that if you allow the executable code to be downloaded then the source code must be available in a similar manner and there must be clear directions for where to find the source code located with the executable code.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Adam Hair wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 am As for the general indifference to kramnik violating Stockfish's licensing, we both know it is due to the fact that kramnik is not hiding the origins or nature of his work.
This thread here is to point out the indifference *from the community.*

Stockfish Polyglot's hidden source has become the tree that falls that doesn't make any audible noise.
kramnik
Full name: Massimiliano Goi

Post by kramnik »

Now Stockfish Polyglot is also available for Android, just thanks to a guy who asked me the source.

Download here: https://chess.massimilianogoi.com/download/stockfish/
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

And I keep asking for the source and still get nothing. It remains unreleased.

I guess the process to comply with the GPL is very selective.
brianr

Post by brianr »

I know next to nothing about GPL or any other licenses, but it took about 1 minute to find a copy of the polybook source. Here is one place:

https://github.com/massimilianogoi/Stockfish-Polyglot

It may not actually be part of SF, but an add-on.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

brianr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 pm I know next to nothing about GPL or any other licenses, but it took about 1 minute to find a copy of the polybook source. Here is one place:

Yes, those are the sources from the January 20 version, the last version when the author used to care.

The current version (March 20) continues to have its sources private, and he only gives the sources to people that request it on places he likes, in ways he likes.

This isn't about the sources themselves, it's just some Stockfish that can use a Polyglot book, there's better Stockfish versions that provide the source, allow one to pile up to 4 different Polyglot books, and even allow people correct usage of the Cerebellum library, plus other optional additions. This is about THE COMMUNITY's indifference about Stockfish forks that are around that have their sources inaccessible or without a known way to get them (I don't know how the people that get the source do it, perhaps they're given a link to the source, and that link has no good reason to be kept secret.)

Apparently all this is about "credits", because if the exact same conduct happened but the author claimed he made the engine, most people would be pulling their hair out about it, but since the author gives proper "credit" to Stockfish's authors, then nobody gives a damn about the sources being shared.

I wouldn't do anything with the sources, it's just bothersome that I can't have them, when I ought to be able to have them. The difference between this and a fork like Raubfish, is that that is a private fork, nobody gets the sources, and at this point I'd rather have Stockfish Polyglot becoming like that, instead of this treatment where some get the source, and some don't.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Ovyron wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:54 amThis thread here is to point out the indifference *from the community.*
Legally, violating the GPL constitutes a copyright infringement. The only people who have any means to do something about that are the copyright holders, i.e. the authors. The "community" has no say about that.

And the Stockfish authors don't really care either, as already proven by the very existence of Stockfish for iOS in the app store.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
kramnik
Full name: Massimiliano Goi

Post by kramnik »

There you go, you pain in the ass: https://github.com/massimilianogoi/Stockfish-Polyglot, just updated now.

Please note that I WON'T update the source for ever fricking time I make an update because I have to edit extra files (AUTHORS and Top CPU Contributors.txt) any time because I want the contributors be properly credited any time I publish the source.
Ovyron wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:37 pm
brianr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 pm I know next to nothing about GPL or any other licenses, but it took about 1 minute to find a copy of the polybook source. Here is one place:

Yes, those are the sources from the January 20 version, the last version when the author used to care.

The current version (March 20) continues to have its sources private, and he only gives the sources to people that request it on places he likes, in ways he likes.

This isn't about the sources themselves, it's just some Stockfish that can use a Polyglot book, there's better Stockfish versions that provide the source, allow one to pile up to 4 different Polyglot books, and even allow people correct usage of the Cerebellum library, plus other optional additions. This is about THE COMMUNITY's indifference about Stockfish forks that are around that have their sources inaccessible or without a known way to get them (I don't know how the people that get the source do it, perhaps they're given a link to the source, and that link has no good reason to be kept secret.)

Apparently all this is about "credits", because if the exact same conduct happened but the author claimed he made the engine, most people would be pulling their hair out about it, but since the author gives proper "credit" to Stockfish's authors, then nobody gives a damn about the sources being shared.

I wouldn't do anything with the sources, it's just bothersome that I can't have them, when I ought to be able to have them. The difference between this and a fork like Raubfish, is that that is a private fork, nobody gets the sources, and at this point I'd rather have Stockfish Polyglot becoming like that, instead of this treatment where some get the source, and some don't.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Thank you.
because I have to edit extra files (AUTHORS and Top CPU Contributors.txt) any time because I want the contributors be properly credited any time I publish the source
I see, I appreciate that you reveal this reason (the code that produces the compiles doesn't include that file, so having it ready beforehand would cause a delay of the compiles, which is what most users care about.)