Booot 6.4 release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Booot 6.4 release

Post by Gabor Szots »

ThatsIt wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:17 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:52 pm I have started a gauntlet and first results are above expectation.
The same here so far.

https://cegt.forumieren.com/t1277-testing-booot-6-4-x64

Best wishes,
G.S.
(CEGT team)
Fantastic progress for an engine which is already so high ranked.

Best wishes,
Gabor
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
booot

Post by booot »

Good day!

Thanks for testing!

Some words about Linux version: this task seems much more difficult then i expected. The good news are: the new version of Delphi IDE already has compiler for Linux, MacOs (and even Android and Ios) platforms. The bad news: Booot has lots of Windows-specific code (WinApi calls for multithread and console input-output routines). I have to rewrite this code completely. The main problem: i am not a programmer yet and chessprogramming is my only hobby in this area (this is why 'Pascal' - the only language i studied 25 years ago in University). I really confused how it works in Linux and need some community help to make platform-independed product. This quarantine is only good for hobby and I already have new beta version of my engine (seems also already about 30-50 Elo stronger then just released) and it should be good if this new booot 6.5 version would have some non-windows binaries.

Alex.
camava
Full name: mario varela

Post by camava »

booot wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:23 am Good day!

Thanks for testing!

Some words about Linux version: this task seems much more difficult then i expected. The good news are: the new version of Delphi IDE already has compiler for Linux, MacOs (and even Android and Ios) platforms. The bad news: Booot has lots of Windows-specific code (WinApi calls for multithread and console input-output routines). I have to rewrite this code completely. The main problem: i am not a programmer yet and chessprogramming is my only hobby in this area (this is why 'Pascal' - the only language i studied 25 years ago in University). I really confused how it works in Linux and need some community help to make platform-independed product. This quarantine is only good for hobby and I already have new beta version of my engine (seems also already about 30-50 Elo stronger then just released) and it should be good if this new booot 6.5 version would have some non-windows binaries.

Alex.
Great news!

When will you post the new version all platforms you said you allready have?
Thank you sir
Fuddur

Post by Fuddur »

Thanks for testing!

Alex.
Waiting for Android version!
Thanks
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Thanks for testing!

Alex.
Hi Alex

Sorry to tell you this, but I experienced 2 Exception errors with Booot on Playchess server. In both cases engine resigned the games on its own... :(
booot

Post by booot »

Fuddur wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:44 pm Hi Alex

Sorry to tell you this, but I experienced 2 Exception errors with Booot on Playchess server. In both cases engine resigned the games on its own...
Is it possible to receive some logs with positions ?
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

[pgn][Event "Rated game, 3 min"]
[Site "Engine Room"]
[Date "2020.04.08"]
[Round "?"]
[White "M Z"]
[Black "Zagor Almanah, Booot 6.4_x64_popcn"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A28"]
[WhiteElo "1340"]
[BlackElo "2444"]
[Annotator "??;0.10"]
[PlyCount "31"]
[EventDate "2020.04.08"]
[SourceTitle "playchess.com"]
[TimeControl "180"]

{AnaLyZeR_UltRa.ctg, 512 MB} 1. c4 {B 0} e5 {B 0} 2. Nc3 {B 0} Nf6 {B 0} 3. Nf3
{B 0} Nc6 {B 0} 4. e4 {B 0} Bb4 {B 0} 5. d3 {B 0} d6 {B 0} 6. a3 {B 0} Bc5 {B 0
} 7. b4 {B 0} Bb6 {B 0} 8. Be3 {B 0} Bxe3 {B 0} 9. fxe3 {B 0} Ne7 {B 0} 10. d4
{B 0} Ng6 {B 0} 11. Bd3 {B 0} O-O {B 0} 12. O-O {B 0} a5 {B 0} 13. b5 {B 0} c6
{B 0} 14. h3 {B 0} Re8 {B 0} 15. Rb1 {B 0} Bd7 {0.10/22 6} 16. d5 {B 0 (Xxd7)
Zagor Almanah,Booot 6.4_x64_popcnt resigns Booot 6.4_x64_popcnt caused an
exception.} 1-0

[/pgn]
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Hello Alex!

Congratulations for the new release. Not yet had time to test it, but will do it ASAP.
booot wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 pm Finally small uci bug fixed (Thanks to Roland Chastain)!
You're welcome.
booot wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:23 amSome words about Linux version: this task seems much more difficult then i expected. The good news are: the new version of Delphi IDE already has compiler for Linux, MacOs (and even Android and Ios) platforms. The bad news: Booot has lots of Windows-specific code (WinApi calls for multithread and console input-output routines). I have to rewrite this code completely. The main problem: i am not a programmer yet and chessprogramming is my only hobby in this area (this is why 'Pascal' - the only language i studied 25 years ago in University). I really confused how it works in Linux and need some community help to make platform-independed product.
I noticed that most Pascal engines use Window API for input/output. I never really understood the reason. In my programs, I simply use the standard "ReadLn" and "WriteLn" and it works, under Linux and under Windows. There must be a reason to use Windows API (since it's what everybody do), but I don't see it.

I have no experience of Delphi under Linux. I have the free version of Delphi and, as far as I know, Linux compilation is only available in paid versions. For my chess projects, I rather use Free Pascal (except for this project, which has never been tested under Linux).

But if I can help you in one way or another I will be glad to do it.

Regards.

Roland
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
MOBMAT

Post by MOBMAT »

From my meager testing, which is for mate solving, I find that 6.3.1 is much faster than 6.4
But I'll keep trying more positions.
i7-6700K @ 4.00Ghz 32Gb, Win 10 Home, EGTBs on PCI SSD
Benchmark: Stockfish15.1 NNUE x64 bmi2 (nps): 1277K
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

MOBMAT wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 pm From my meager testing, which is for mate solving, I find that 6.3.1 is much faster than 6.4
But I'll keep trying more positions.
Interesting. Could you explain how you use it for that purpose? Is there a special option for that, or do you simply send a position and ask for the best move?
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.