What Chess.com Is Doing to Catch Cheaters!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

What Chess.com Is Doing to Catch Cheaters!

Post by AdminX »

Love this, would like to see another one (Video) related to LiChess.

Part 2:

"In this video, IM Daniel Rensch reviews what's Chess.com is doing about cheaters using the website and goes over the fair play protocol on Chess.com. Cheating is an issue that Chess.com takes seriously. Using our cheat detection logic it's led to some breakthroughs."

PS: On a side note I wish Chessbase would bring back the Webcam feature that they once had in the early years.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: What Chess.com Is Doing to Catch Cheaters!

Post by MikeB »

AdminX wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:51 pm Love this, would like to see another one (Video) related to LiChess.

Part 2:

"In this video, IM Daniel Rensch reviews what's Chess.com is doing about cheaters using the website and goes over the fair play protocol on Chess.com. Cheating is an issue that Chess.com takes seriously. Using our cheat detection logic it's led to some breakthroughs."

PS: On a side note I wish Chessbase would bring back the Webcam feature that they once had in the early years.
Hi Ted,
My experience in online chess, most of which was many years ago, is that cheating was rampant and the experience turned negative. Much rather play person to person ( hard to do when living in sparsely populated area or without driving an hour). Much rather play against a dumb down engine like bluefish. Set it your to Elo and have fun. Computer doesn't get mad when you beat it and will always come back for more.

The webcam is interesting idea and has some merit

Take care,
Mike
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

I'm very impressed with how fast lichess can catch cheaters. They also return the lost rating points to victims of cheating. Not sure if any other site does that.

https://lichess.org/@/Nezh-BOT/all
towforce

Post by towforce »

To save watching those videos (I'm sure they're very good videos - but they are long), how are chess servers catching cheats, please?
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

towforce wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:22 amgood videos - but they are long
Videos with talking heads just suck. It takes much longer to watch than reading a written article, and it's impossible to scan. What is this fad, have people unlearnt how to write, or don't they expect literacy from the audience anymore?
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Chess.com does return rating points, I have had many points returned to me. Still I feel some low rated players play like Grandmasters, it's funny to watch some Grandmasters play against cheaters, on YouTube, and lose and they know its computer assisted human play. Look for a video on YouTube from ChessBrah playing the "Worlds Strongest 1000 Player" that game was played to a drawn position. When people talk about Chess Cheaters they never talk about time cheaters, I have had the worst experience playing time cheaters with computer enhanced play, their clock gives them lots of time back and goes above the starting time 30 moves into a game. I remember playing one player on Playchess.com where we had a 1 minute bullet game, his time went above the 60 second time limit and I lost on time at 63 moves, his remaining time was 34 seconds. It is really more difficult to play against time cheaters than just computer aided play for me.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

I'm still waiting to have any points returned by chess.com - I was hoping it was better than playchess, where they don't return squat. Every cheater there is a valuable paid member. :P

So lichess.org remains the indisputable #1, and despite being free, they really mean business!