Komodo 14 released.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Komodo 14 released.

Post by lkaufman »

We have released Komodo 14 at komodochess.com. It is a significant strength improvement over 13.3, the last release, about 20 elo in MCTS mode and 10 elo in standard mode. Total gains from Komodo 13 (or 13.01) are about 50 elo in MCTS mode and 40 elo in standard mode. The improvements cover a wide range of issues, including extensions, null move, King Safety, time management, and many more. There is one new feature added since Komodo 13.3, "Armageddon" mode, which tells Komodo that White (or Black) must win, draws are scored as losses for that color. When draws are counted as losses for White, knowing this improves Komodo's performance as White by about 30 elo according to our tests. In Armageddon mode, the specified color (usually White) not only avoids clear draws, but adjusts Contempt by an amount we determined was most helpful for Armageddon play. Testing on one thread in Armageddon mode suggests that on a modern laptop, if White gets one minute total plus 1% increment, and Black gets half a minute plus 1% increment plus draw odds, then chances are fairly close to balanced. Other features added since Komodo 13 include more levels, Personalities, and Auto-Skill. Standard mode remains the strongest when Multi-PV is not in use, while MCTS mode is generally strongest when both are using Multi-PV.
As usual, Komodo 14 is free for subscribers and available for a 20% discount to those who bought Komodo 13 or any later version from us. Komodo 11 will become free, and Komodo 12 and 13 will go on sale.
Komodo rules!
Fuddur

Re: Komodo 14 released.

Post by Fuddur »

lkaufman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:17 am We have released Komodo 14 at komodochess.com. It is a significant strength improvement over 13.3, the last release, about 20 elo in MCTS mode and 10 elo in standard mode. Total gains from Komodo 13 (or 13.01) are about 50 elo in MCTS mode and 40 elo in standard mode. The improvements cover a wide range of issues, including extensions, null move, King Safety, time management, and many more. There is one new feature added since Komodo 13.3, "Armageddon" mode, which tells Komodo that White (or Black) must win, draws are scored as losses for that color. When draws are counted as losses for White, knowing this improves Komodo's performance as White by about 30 elo according to our tests. In Armageddon mode, the specified color (usually White) not only avoids clear draws, but adjusts Contempt by an amount we determined was most helpful for Armageddon play. Testing on one thread in Armageddon mode suggests that on a modern laptop, if White gets one minute total plus 1% increment, and Black gets half a minute plus 1% increment plus draw odds, then chances are fairly close to balanced. Other features added since Komodo 13 include more levels, Personalities, and Auto-Skill. Standard mode remains the strongest when Multi-PV is not in use, while MCTS mode is generally strongest when both are using Multi-PV.
As usual, Komodo 14 is free for subscribers and available for a 20% discount to those who bought Komodo 13 or any later version from us. Komodo 11 will become free, and Komodo 12 and 13 will go on sale.
Nice!
I am waiting for Android version of komodo 14.
Thanks
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

Larry, Is there a chance to get 'Armageddon' to work in MCTS mode at a later date?

Thanks
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Calling a 10 point rating gain 'significant' when you are talking about moving the needle from say 3400 to 3410 is hyperbole.
But we all know that rating gains are hard to come by so I am sure everyone will forgive you for that.

I am not sure what to think of Armageddon mode. I can't see any earthly use for it but will watch this thread as people ask about it and you flesh it out.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

cc2150dx wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:20 am Larry, Is there a chance to get 'Armageddon' to work in MCTS mode at a later date?

Thanks

I hope to do this in a.future release. The code section in Komodo that handles the MCTS tree needs a bunch of changes to handle proper conversion of draw scores, but I am confident we can do it. Deadlines prevented meant we ran out of time for this release.

Mark
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Cornfed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 am Calling a 10 point rating gain 'significant' when you are talking about moving the needle from say 3400 to 3410 is hyperbole.
But we all know that rating gains are hard to come by so I am sure everyone will forgive you for that.

I am not sure what to think of Armageddon mode. I can't see any earthly use for it but will watch this thread as people ask about it and you flesh it out.
Armageddon is used in some computer tournaments to break ties (WCCC for example). Plus it is a lot of fun. Imagine how exciting TCEC would be if every game was decisive.

Mark
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Cornfed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 am Calling a 10 point rating gain 'significant' when you are talking about moving the needle from say 3400 to 3410 is hyperbole.

Here are some possible uses for Armageddon mode:
1. You want to prepare openings for a game you must win, or just want to know what openings give White the best winning chances.
2. You want to use Komodo to analyze games played in Armageddon conditions by top human players, such as the Norway tournament where every drawn standard game was followed by an Armageddon rapid game.
3. You want to test engines using Stephen Pohl's Armageddon openings, now based on my "No Black Short Castling" idea.
4. You want to test engines with normal books but with White getting enough extra time to make Armageddon fair.
5. You want to play against Komodo yourself with draw odds for yourself and presumably at least the White pieces as well, so "Black must Win". Of course, unless you are Magnus Carlsen, that won't be nearly enough, but you can set the level to somewhat above your own strength to make it work.
6. You want to analyze some favorable position to try to determine if the better side should win or the weaker side should draw with correct play.
7. Komodo is playing in an Armageddon tournament or one that uses Armageddon for tiebreaks.

I'm sure others will find other uses for it. I'll note that we are not the first engine to implement this, but I believe that we are the first highly rated engine to do so. I think that we can expect Armageddon to grow in popularity in one form or another.
Komodo rules!
camava
Full name: mario varela

Post by camava »

Great new !
I hope a Android version will be also for sale soon :D

I bought the 13 Android version but 14 version is "amazing"

I think a good smartphone is enough for any player to play strong and it is always with us.

Very good job!!
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Hopefully Jeremy Bernstein will start coding Komodo Chess for Android soon, he is very nice person to deal with as I have experienced when I discovered some flaws in running Komodo on my phone. I'm a little surprised to get Komodo 14 this soon. Please support the programmers because without them we limit the people who make the improvements we need to see in chess.
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

mjlef wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 am
cc2150dx wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:20 am Larry, Is there a chance to get 'Armageddon' to work in MCTS mode at a later date?

Thanks

I hope to do this in a.future release. The code section in Komodo that handles the MCTS tree needs a bunch of changes to handle proper conversion of draw scores, but I am confident we can do it. Deadlines prevented meant we ran out of time for this release.

Mark
I pretty much asked you the same question a few days ago. Oops :oops: