Speaking of Bluefish XI-LP FD, have you tried these settings?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Speaking of Bluefish XI-LP FD, have you tried these settings?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Bluefish XI-LP FD with tactical=2 and defensive=off changes the engine into a churning, frothing, tactical chess monster.
When run against the TTT1 test suite, Bluefish was already the leader by a huge margin. Adding Tactical=2; defensive=off turns it into something fearsome. Notice that the third place engine has less than half of the correct solutions that were found by the special Bluefish:
76 out of 100 = 76% - Bluefish XI-LP FD (Tactical=2; defensive=off)
54 out of 100 = 54% - Bluefish XI-LP FD
35 out of 100 = 35% - Black Diamond XR7
30 out of 100 = 30% - Crystal 260819 64
29 out of 100 = 29% - Eman 4.00
28 out of 100 = 28% - CorChess 3.1 260819

Complete list is here:
http://dorszcz.blogspot.com/p/ttt1.html

I am so awestruck by these settings that I altered my copy of Bluefish to use Tactical=2; defensive=off as the default settings.
I would be keenly interested to see how it does at game play.
Last edited by Dann Corbit on Wed May 13, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Re: Speaking of Bluefish XI-LP FD, have you tried these settings?

Post by Dann Corbit »

This is the source for the version that I am using:

If you use it, you will probably need to review the settings and (for instance) turn off logging, because by default I log the analysis to disk so that I can later load it into my database. I add a few UCI settings not found in the default.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 am Bluefish XI-LP FD with tactical=2 and defensive=off changes the engine into a churning, frothing, tactical chess monster.
I tried it, it's a real test killer ! :-)
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 85#p843485
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 am Bluefish XI-LP FD with tactical=2 and defensive=off changes the engine into a churning, frothing, tactical chess monster.
When run against the TTT1 test suite, Bluefish was already the leader by a huge margin. Adding Tactical=2; defensive=off turns it into something fearsome. Notice that the third place engine has less than half of the correct solutions that were found by the special Bluefish:
76 out of 100 = 76% - Bluefish XI-LP FD (Tactical=2; defensive=off)
54 out of 100 = 54% - Bluefish XI-LP FD
35 out of 100 = 35% - Black Diamond XR7
30 out of 100 = 30% - Crystal 260819 64
29 out of 100 = 29% - Eman 4.00
28 out of 100 = 28% - CorChess 3.1 260819

Complete list is here:
http://dorszcz.blogspot.com/p/ttt1.html

I am so awestruck by these settings that I altered my copy of Bluefish to use Tactical=2; defensive=off as the default settings.
I would be keenly interested to see how it does at game play.
Hi Dann,
Curious, did you test with Profound=on or off?
Thanks!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Using the default, whatever that is.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Please note all tactical=2 is doing is using MultiPV=4 internally, and hiding the output of the other 3 lines it analyzes. That's it. I even provided a fix for another engine version, but I guess Mike wants people to believe the setting is doing something more fancy than it really does.
mehmet123
Full name: Mehmet Karaman

Post by mehmet123 »

Thaks for this engine. What is the main reason why it is so good at position solving?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

mehmet123 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:30 pm Thaks for this engine. What is the main reason why it is so good at position solving?
If it's about the tactical setting that is just MultiPV, it's because an engine at single PV will focus on a single move (the ones it thinks is currently best) and will prune the rest so they're analyzed to mush lower depth by comparison.

Since these are positions that are hard it's very unlikely that the engine is focusing on the right move. What MultiPV does is forcing the engine to not prune alternative moves, and to score them. With Tactical = 2 this means MultiPV = 4, so 3 additional lines are added to the analysis and forced to be analyzed to the same depth of the main move. If the solution is included on the alternative moves it's going to be extended and found unlike in singlePV.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ovyron wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:25 pm
Please note all tactical=2 is doing is using MultiPV=4 internally, and hiding the output of the other 3 lines it analyzes. That's it. I even provided a fix for another engine version, but I guess Mike wants people to believe the setting is doing something more fancy than it really does.
a good magician never spoils the illusion 8-)