how many points will Komodo score vs. GM Lenderman?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How many points will Komodo score vs. GM Lenderman (out of 16)?

Poll ended at Mon May 18, 2020 2:55 am

3.5 or less
No votes
4 or 4.5
No votes
5 or 5.5
No votes
6 or 6.5
No votes
7 or 7.5
No votes
8 (drawn match)
No votes
8.5 or 9
No votes
9.5 or 10
No votes
10.5 or 11
No votes
11.5 or 12
No votes
12.5 or more
No votes

Total votes: 0

lkaufman

how many points will Komodo score vs. GM Lenderman?

Post by lkaufman »

Komodo will play GM Alex Lenderman (2634 FIDE, 2642 Rapid) 16 games of Rapid (15' + 10") handicap chess next week on chess.com. All games Komodo plays White with a knight missing (half b1, half g1 except frc). Four games FRC but kings and rooks and castling normal, four games normal but Black cannot castle, and four games Black gives back one pawn (b7,c7,d7,e7, two games each). What will White score? We know from past matches that two White pawns favors Komodo, two Black pawns is close, knight odds favors GM. Latest Komodo on 32 core 3970x Threadripper. If you post your prediction as a reply and get it right (exact score), you can get K14 or sub or next K version 40% off from whatever your price would be otherwise.
Komodo rules!
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Re: how many points will Komodo score vs. GM Lenderman?

Post by Alayan »

lkaufman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 am and four games Black gives back one pawn (b7,c7,d7,e7, two games each).
You mean eight "knight for pawn" games, not four.

My prediction is 6 points out of 16 for Komodo. I think Komodo will suffer a lot in the four games where black cannot castle, because castling isn't essential to the lockdown strategy that Smerdon showed to be quite effective. Komodo won't go for a crazy attack anyway in those. But I think Komodo should do reasonably well in the knight for pawn games. The FRC games are an unknown, I'd expect Lenderman to mess up in at least one of them.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Alayan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 am
lkaufman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 am and four games Black gives back one pawn (b7,c7,d7,e7, two games each).

My prediction is 6 points out of 16 for Komodo. I think Komodo will suffer a lot in the four games where black cannot castle, because castling isn't essential to the lockdown strategy that Smerdon showed to be quite effective. Komodo won't go for a crazy attack anyway in those. But I think Komodo should do reasonably well in the knight for pawn games. The FRC games are an unknown, I'd expect Lenderman to mess up in at least one of them.
Yes, two games with each pawn, one with each knight, so eight knight for pawn games. The poll doesn't seem to be working, don't know why. We may have to make do with comments posted here. I agree that Komodo will do better in the eight games of knight for pawn than in the other eight where its a full knight down. I've had reasonably close results myself at knight for castling and FRC knight odds, but very bad results at knight for pawn. But Lenderman is way stronger than I am now. I'll be satisfied if we split in the knight for pawn games and score a couple points in the other eight, like you suggest.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:28 am
Alayan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 am

Yes, two games with each pawn, one with each knight, so eight knight for pawn games. The poll doesn't seem to be working, don't know why. We may have to make do with comments posted here. I agree that Komodo will do better in the eight games of knight for pawn than in the other eight where its a full knight down. I've had reasonably close results myself at knight for castling and FRC knight odds, but very bad results at knight for pawn. But Lenderman is way stronger than I am now. I'll be satisfied if we split in the knight for pawn games and score a couple points in the other eight, like you suggest.
Since your Poll is NOT working 8 points each with the MCTS version, Good Luck :wink:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 am Komodo will play GM Alex Lenderman (2634 FIDE, 2642 Rapid) 16 games of Rapid (15' + 10") handicap chess next week on chess.com. All games Komodo plays White with a knight missing (half b1, half g1 except frc). Four games FRC but kings and rooks and castling normal, four games normal but Black cannot castle, and four games Black gives back one pawn (b7,c7,d7,e7, two games each). What will White score? We know from past matches that two White pawns favors Komodo, two Black pawns is close, knight odds favors GM. Latest Komodo on 32 core 3970x Threadripper. If you post your prediction as a reply and get it right (exact score), you can get K14 or sub or next K version 40% off from whatever your price would be otherwise.
Larry you should start the match with the easy games those that are just knight odds either Chess960 or Non castling and as GM Lenderman start beating Komodo he will let his guard down, and that is when you feed Lenderman to your Beast Komodo with the other 8 harder games and Komodo will chew him up little by little and piece by piece. Most people here are NOT taking advantage of this, or they simply try to answer the poll and see that it is not working and do NOT read your entire message. This is what they are missing let me make it clear by making it bigger. If you post your prediction as a reply and get it right (exact score), you can get K14 or sub or next Komodo version 40% off from whatever your price would be otherwise.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm
lkaufman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 am Komodo will play GM Alex Lenderman (2634 FIDE, 2642 Rapid) 16 games of Rapid (15' + 10") handicap chess next week on chess.com. All games Komodo plays White with a knight missing (half b1, half g1 except frc). Four games FRC but kings and rooks and castling normal, four games normal but Black cannot castle, and four games Black gives back one pawn (b7,c7,d7,e7, two games each). What will White score? We know from past matches that two White pawns favors Komodo, two Black pawns is close, knight odds favors GM. Latest Komodo on 32 core 3970x Threadripper. If you post your prediction as a reply and get it right (exact score), you can get K14 or sub or next K version 40% off from whatever your price would be otherwise.
Larry you should start the match with the easy games those that are just knight odds either Chess960 or Non castling and as GM Lenderman start beating Komodo he will let his guard down, and that is when you feed Lenderman to your Beast Komodo with the other 8 harder games and Komodo will chew him up little by little and piece by piece. Most people here are NOT taking advantage of this, or they simply try to answer the poll and see that it is not working and do NOT read your entire message. This is what they are missing let me make it clear by making it bigger. If you post your prediction as a reply and get it right (exact score), you can get K14 or sub or next Komodo version 40% off from whatever your price would be otherwise.
The schedule is the same for all days; the first and last game each day are knight for pawn, the two in the middle are FRC and NBC. We're not trying to favor one side or the other by scheduling, just trying to maximize viewer interest.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:04 pm
The schedule is the same for all days; the first and last game each day are knight for pawn, the two in the middle are FRC and NBC. We're not trying to favor one side or the other by scheduling, just trying to maximize viewer interest.
Not that Carlsen will ever accept to play against an engine Like Komodo, but what would be the maximun odds that Komodo Dragon could give Carlsen at 90' + 30'. Do you believe that Komodo could play Black without its f7 pawn and still draw versus Carlsen ?
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

I pick 10.5 to 11.
Lenderman will not be able to handle the pressure.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:03 am
lkaufman wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:04 pm
Not that Carlsen will ever accept to play against an engine Like Komodo, but what would be the maximun odds that Komodo Dragon could give Carlsen at 90' + 30'. Do you believe that Komodo could play Black without its f7 pawn and still draw versus Carlsen ?
Komodo as Black without f7 ("pawn and move") at 90' + 30" vs. Carlsen would be a good match. Most of the games would probably end as draws. I don't know which side would score more wins. Probably assuming there is big money on the line Carlsen would prepare well enough to reach positions where he could try to win with little risk, and he would learn from each game, so I would be more inclined to bet on him to win a long match. At rapid with f7 odds, or at standard if Komodo got White with f2 off, I would bet on Komodo to win a match.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Cornfed wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:24 am I pick 10.5 to 11.
Lenderman will not be able to handle the pressure.
If by "pressure" you mean "time pressure", then you might be right. I don't think he'll have any problem with psychological pressure due to the show or anything emotional, he's a well-balanced professional and very rational and realistic. He won't let a loss affect him in the next game. But no human is immune to the pressure of the clock.
Komodo rules!