how many points will Komodo score vs. GM Lenderman?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How many points will Komodo score vs. GM Lenderman (out of 16)?

Poll ended at Mon May 18, 2020 2:55 am

3.5 or less
No votes
4 or 4.5
No votes
5 or 5.5
No votes
6 or 6.5
No votes
7 or 7.5
No votes
8 (drawn match)
No votes
8.5 or 9
No votes
9.5 or 10
No votes
10.5 or 11
No votes
11.5 or 12
No votes
12.5 or more
No votes

Total votes: 0

Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Re: how many points will Komodo score vs. GM Lenderman?

Post by Cornfed »

lkaufman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:03 am
Cornfed wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 am "Odds" is little more than theater for those who might like weird spectacles. My opinion of course.

"Time odds" - now that is the only thing of interest to me because both sides are at least playing the 'same game' with the 'same pieces'...only the machine will always think (?? okay, calculate) faster so 'time needs to be the attempted equalizer'. Not material which changes the game on the board. Why not just not allow the computer to put a single piece/pawn on its 3rd rank...think of the oddities - the human could try to use that to his advantage at various parts of the game. But, again, a gimick.

A Nakamura match of say 15 min/5 sec delay to 2 min for Komodo (pick your difference...depends largely on processor(s) speed at the point), now that would be interesting as both sides are truly playing the same game on the board.
Well, someone on the Stockfish team calculated that for a fair match between latest Stockfish on a good quad vs. Magnus the time odds needed for a fair match (without ponder by SF) would be a ratio of a thousand to one, which means about 500 to 1 for Komodo vs Magnus (or Naka, not much difference in blitz). You can reduce that a lot by giving the human White every game and draw odds, and by a 1 core limit, and by an opening book limit (or none at all). We did one match that way, I'd be fine with doing another. Or Naka could just play Komodo level 24, which is roughly like playing it with game in three seconds.
30 min - 1800 sec - for (Naka) vs 4 sec (Komodo) per game then?? It's getting late...but I think that's roughly 500 to 1. That doesn't sound right.
But...at least is the same game with the same number of pieces.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Cornfed wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:46 am
Cornfed wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 am "Odds" is little more than theater for those who might like weird spectacles. My opinion of course.

"Time odds" - now that is the only thing of interest to me because both sides are at least playing the 'same game' with the 'same pieces'...only the machine will always think (?? okay, calculate) faster so 'time needs to be the attempted equalizer'. Not material which changes the game on the board. Why not just not allow the computer to put a single piece/pawn on its 3rd rank...think of the oddities - the human could try to use that to his advantage at various parts of the game. But, again, a gimick.

A Nakamura match of say 15 min/5 sec delay to 2 min for Komodo (pick your difference...depends largely on processor(s) speed at the point), now that would be interesting as both sides are truly playing the same game on the board.
Well, someone on the Stockfish team calculated that for a fair match between latest Stockfish on a good quad vs. Magnus the time odds needed for a fair match (without ponder by SF) would be a ratio of a thousand to one, which means about 500 to 1 for Komodo vs Magnus (or Naka, not much difference in blitz). You can reduce that a lot by giving the human White every game and draw odds, and by a 1 core limit, and by an opening book limit (or none at all). We did one match that way, I'd be fine with doing another. Or Naka could just play Komodo level 24, which is roughly like playing it with game in three seconds.
30 min - 1800 sec - for (Naka) vs 4 sec (Komodo) per game then?? It's getting late...but I think that's roughly 500 to 1. That doesn't sound right.
But...at least is the same game with the same number of pieces.
That's pretty much the same as Naka playing rapid (15' + 10") vs. Komodo Skill level 24 (the highest crippled level), which indeed I estimated to be fair in another thread. Komodo level 24 is a bot on chess.com, so he can do that any time he wants, with no need to ask anyone to set it up. That is more useful for both Komodo and chess.com than the time odds, because anyone on chess.com or with Komodo can get the same play from it just by choosing the same level. I would like to see a formal competition with prizes to see which GM can score the most points vs. level 24.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:22 am

Well for tomorrow match you should take your other 16 cores computer just in case Chess.com decides to match it against any other GM and Komodo can have full access to the 32 cores which mean an extra 50 to 60 Elo to Komodo, Plus the MCTS version should be used from now on and hopefully we can expect at least 3 draws tomorrow. :roll:
Only my 32 core is set up to use Playkomodo, but I think it's unlikely that Nakamura or another GM will be wanting to play Komodo tomorrow during our Lenderman match. I don't know if MCTS will help, we'll see; it has done better overall vs humans in handicap games, but it scores worse against Komodo level 24 giving it the Lenderman handicaps. We do keep tweaking parameters from game to game as we notice things; they probably don't add more than a couple elo, but every little bit might help.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Whoever came up with that figure of 1000 to 1 for Stockfish or 500 to 1 for Komodo is simply talking trash. I would pay GM Lendermark $50.00 for an extra game at the end of this match if he is willing to play 1 game against Komodo 14 with Mr. Kaufman 32 cores computer 15 minutes or = 900 seconds to GM Lenderman to Komodo 14 with 5 seconds for the entire game or even 10 seconds . There is NO way that Komodo can match the logical brain selection of best move of GM Lenderman with that ridiculous time advantage by simply calculating 500 times more moves than GM Lenderman. I could believe that Carlsen can possibly beat GM Lenderman 15 minutes to 5 minutes, but just because a computer can calculate xxx,xxx amount of moves per seconds does NOT translate into logical best possible move in any given position.

I spoke to Jorge Sammour if he is willing to take Komodo 13.3 on my system with a time handicap of 15 minutes to Komodo 30 seconds for the entire game with ponder on and he simply laugh saying I do NOT want to steal your money, but because Komodo will be using my time while I am thinking which is with (Ponder on) I prefer to play 15 minutes to Komodo 2 minute for the entire game with ponder off. I accepted and I will post it very soon.

PS: It is interesting to see that in Human - Computer Chess Matches- Wikipedia there is NOT one single game between Computer Vs human with time handicap . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human%E2% ... ss_matches

Komodo handicap matches (2015)
In 2015, a chess engine Komodo played a series of handicap matches with GM Petr Neuman.[36] Neuman won the match.

Komodo handicap matches (2020)
In 2020, chess engine Komodo played a series of handicap matches with Australian GM David Smerdon at knight odds.[37] Smerdon won 5-1, in spite of most commentators favoring Komodo to win.

I would like to see Komodo 14 with a final position of a Knight plus a Rook and King versus GM Lenderman Rook Plus King to see if Komodo can checkmate GM Lenderman within 10 seconds left on the Clock, NOT even to mention an entire game played with only 10 seconds to Lenderman 15 Minutes. Alejandro could have promoted to a Queen but he thought that he can beat Lenderman by selecting a mere Knight, but Lenderman quick thinking showed GM Alejandro Otherwise and beat him in time.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Whoever came up with that figure of 1000 to 1 for Stockfish or 500 to 1 for Komodo is simply talking trash. I would pay GM Lendermark $50.00 for an extra game at the end of this match if he is willing to play 1 game against Komodo 14 with Mr. Kaufman 32 cores computer 15 minutes or = 900 seconds to GM Lenderman to Komodo 14 with 5 seconds for the entire game or even 10 seconds . There is NO way that Komodo can match the logical brain selection of best move of GM Lenderman with that ridiculous time advantage by simply calculating 500 times more moves than GM Lenderman. I could believe that Carlsen can possibly beat GM Lenderman 15 minutes to 5 minutes, but just because a computer can calculate xxx,xxx amount of moves per seconds does NOT translate into logical best possible move in any given position.

I spoke to Jorge Sammour if he is willing to take Komodo 13.3 on my system with a time handicap of 15 minutes to Komodo 30 seconds for the entire game with ponder on and he simply laugh saying I do NOT want to steal your money, but because Komodo will be using my time while I am thinking which is with (Ponder on) I prefer to play 15 minutes to Komodo 2 minute for the entire game with ponder off. I accepted and I will post it very soon.

PS: It is interesting to see that in Human - Computer Chess Matches- Wikipedia there is NOT one single game between Computer Vs human with time handicap . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human%E2% ... ss_matches

In 2015, a chess engine Komodo played a series of handicap matches with GM Petr Neuman.[36] Neuman won the match.

In 2020, chess engine Komodo played a series of handicap matches with Australian GM David Smerdon at knight odds.[37] Smerdon won 5-1, in spite of most commentators favoring Komodo to win.

I would like to see Komodo 14 with a final position of a Knight plus a Rook and King versus GM Lenderman Rook Plus King to see if Komodo can checkmate GM Lenderman within 10 seconds left on the Clock, NOT even to mention an entire game played with only 10 seconds to Lenderman 15 Minutes. Alejandro could have promoted to a Queen but he thought that he can beat Lenderman by selecting a mere Knight, but Lenderman quick thinking showed GM Alejandro Otherwise and beat him in time.
First game today was a draw, this time a real endgame draw. Wikipedia doesn't report on many of these matches, we did have a 90' + 30" vs 3' + 1" match with GM Erenburg, in which he got white every game, no ponder, no TBs, one core only, and no opening book past move 3. Komodo still won 3.5 to 0.5.
Komodo rules!
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:02 pm

First game today was a draw, this time a real endgame draw. Wikipedia doesn't report on many of these matches, we did have a 90' + 30" vs 3' + 1" match with GM Erenburg, in which he got white every game, no ponder, no TBs, one core only, and no opening book past move 3. Komodo still won 3.5 to 0.5.
Thanks for the latest tournament. Great job.
If Carlsen played Komodo, under regular chess conditions and time, do you have an estimate how much time you would have to limit Komodo to, so it becomes equal. ? (My assumption would be you would need to give Komodo 15-25 seconds for the game for Carlsen to equalise)

Also in terms of handicap, do you know if Komodo 'prefers' a handicap a knight for 2 pawns, or 2 pawns.?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:08 pm

If Carlsen played Komodo, under regular chess conditions and time, do you have an estimate how much time you would have to limit Komodo to, so it becomes equal. ? (My assumption would be you would need to give Komodo 30 seconds for the game for Carlsen to equalise)

Also in terms of handicap, do you know if Komodo 'prefers' a handicap a knight for 2 pawns, or 2 pawns.?
Second game today also drawn. I estimate that if Carlsen had 40/2 hours plus another hour to finish and Komodo had 30" for the game, it would be pretty fair if Komodo ran on a quad. But on my 32 core threadripper, it would have to be like 5 seconds for komodo. In handicap chess knight is almost four pawns, so two pawns off is only a tad more than knight for two pawns, assuming neutral pawns (b and c). So this knight for pawn is almost three pawns. No wonder it's tough.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Komodo won the third game today, very convincing victory, although Alex overlooked something. Looks like switch to MCTS paid off.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:19 pm

If Carlsen played Komodo, under regular chess conditions and time, do you have an estimate how much time you would have to limit Komodo to, so it becomes equal. ? (My assumption would be you would need to give Komodo 30 seconds for the game for Carlsen to equalise)

Second game today also drawn. I estimate that if Carlsen had 40/2 hours plus another hour to finish and Komodo had 30" for the game, it would be pretty fair if Komodo ran on a quad. But on my 32 core threadripper, it would have to be like 5 seconds for komodo. In handicap chess knight is almost four pawns, so two pawns off is only a tad more than knight for two pawns, assuming neutral pawns (b and c). So this knight for pawn is almost three pawns. No wonder it's tough.
Try it versus Nakamura or vs MVL, since Carlsen would never play an engine on public, I believe it has to be a least 30 seconds on your 32 cores, you are underestimating the calculation power of the human brain, NOT in term of how many moves it can calculate, but how efficient our brain come up with great moves by elimination process and experience. This type of time handicap should definitively be the match., even against GM Lenderman. I would bet that if you offer him this time handicap he would take it, one or two games per day in five days.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 pm
lkaufman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Try it versus Nakamura or vs MVL, since Carlsen would never play an engine on public, I believe it has to be a least 30 seconds on your 32 cores, you are underestimating the calculation power of the human brain, NOT in term of how many moves it can calculate, but how efficient our brain come up with great moves by elimination process and experience. This type of time handicap should definitively be the match., even against GM Lenderman. I would bet that if you offer him this time handicap he would take it, one or two games per day in five days.
The most likely match is Komodo level 24 vs GM even playing rapid, it's like about game in three seconds for Komodo. That is something people can try at home or on chess.com easily.
Komodo rules!