Nibbler Lc0 GUI - updates

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fohristiwhirl
Full name: Allan Thomas

Nibbler Lc0 GUI - updates

Post by fohristiwhirl »

Hey all - almost a year ago Max was kind enough to announce the existence of Nibbler, a GUI specifically for Leela, most notable for displaying Leela's evaluation of various moves in a simple graphical way.

It was rather rough around the edges at that point. Since then, it's been improved in many ways (featuring things like winrate graph, game analysis, Chess960 support) and is rather easier to set up (no config file editing any more, phew).

Anyway, I thought maybe I'd be forgiven for making a reannouncment of sorts, so this is it! Happy to answer questions or take feedback here.

Readme: https://github.com/fohristiwhirl/nibble ... /README.md
Releases: https://github.com/fohristiwhirl/nibbler/releases
Steppenwolf
Full name: Sven Steppenwolf

Re: Nibbler Lc0 GUI - updates

Post by Steppenwolf »

Dear fohristiwhirl,

great thanks for your Nibbler Lc0 GUI. I am running it on macOS Catalina 10.15.4.
It is very stable.

Please can you or Max update your GUI the macOS binary for Lc0 with the latest one 0.25.1?
There is still a mac-version 1.1.3 with Lc0 0.23.2.

When opening a PGN file via Electron->open PGN, the size of the text list of the games is very small. Is it also possible to change that size of the gamelist?

One feature request: Is it possible to implement a possibility to run simultaneously Lc0 and Stockfish via CPU (blas) at one fixed chess position in order to compare the different output of each engines? Or implementing engine matches with different weight files?
You wrote on your last version „Fixed some quirks when running with A/B engines (which you still shouldn't do).“ Why?

Thanks again in advance for your nice GUI! Go ahead :D -:)
fohristiwhirl

Post by fohristiwhirl »

Steppenwolf wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 am Please can you or Max update your GUI the macOS binary for Lc0 with the latest one 0.25.1?
There is still a mac-version 1.1.3 with Lc0 0.23.2.
Not being on Mac, it's difficult (or impossible really) for me to produce a Mac build. But if you have an older one from TwoPlan's repo, you can "upgrade" by replacing all the source files in Nibbler.app/Contents/Resources/app/
When opening a PGN file via Electron->open PGN, the size of the text list of the games is very small. Is it also possible to change that size of the gamelist?
There's an option in the Sizes menu for that.
One feature request: Is it possible to implement a possibility to run simultaneously Lc0 and Stockfish via CPU (blas) at one fixed chess position in order to compare the different output of each engines? Or implementing engine matches with different weight files?
You wrote on your last version „Fixed some quirks when running with A/B engines (which you still shouldn't do).“ Why?
Hmm. Nibbler relies on showing multipv. The type of search Lc0 runs means you can use the multipv setting for free, with no performance hit, whereas for an engine like Stockfish, the strength is drastically weakened.

Of course if you just want one move and line from Stockfish it's possible in principle. But this is really an Lc0 GUI, and I'm trying not to add too much complexity.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Sorry for the repetition - I missed this thread.

First - GREAT GUI!

Second, how does one get 2 GPUs running in Nibbler? I tried creating a lc0.config file with

(backend=cudnn-fp16,gpu=0),(backend=cudnn-fp16,gpu=1)

in it but it didn't work
ChiefPushesWood
Full name: Chief PushesWood

Post by ChiefPushesWood »

Werewolf wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 pm Sorry for the repetition - I missed this thread.

First - GREAT GUI!

Second, how does one get 2 GPUs running in Nibbler? I tried creating a lc0.config file with

in it but it didn't work
In Nibbler, click App > Show config.json

Edit your NIBBLER config to include this in the options:

Code: Select all

"options": {
		"Backend": "multiplexing",
		"BackendOptions": "(backend=cudnn-fp16,gpu=0),(backend=cudnn-fp16,gpu=1)",
		"Threads": 2,
		},
Hope this helps.

Chief
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

ChiefPushesWood wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:13 pm
Werewolf wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 pm Sorry for the repetition - I missed this thread.

First - GREAT GUI!

in it but it didn't work

},
Hope this helps.

Chief
It sure does!! Thanks!
ChiefPushesWood
Full name: Chief PushesWood

Post by ChiefPushesWood »

Werewolf wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:19 pm
ChiefPushesWood wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:13 pm

First - GREAT GUI!

in it but it didn't work

},
Hope this helps.

Chief
It sure does!! Thanks!
May want to play with the Threads count to see if you get an NPS boost on your machine by going to 3.

Chief
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I found Round Robin with 4 threads was fastest with 2 x 2080 Ti

Wow just wow. I haven't been this impressed with a new way of doing analysis since the IDeA option in Aquarium was unveiled.
And this is so simple.

Really impressive.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Quick question: how do you show search depth ?
fohristiwhirl

Post by fohristiwhirl »

Search depth really isn't a thing with Leela.