Eman Chimera - hints and impressions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Eman Chimera - hints and impressions

Post by Dann Corbit »

So I guess the burning questions are:
"With a statistically valid number of games how does switching at ply N improve play?"
and
"With a statistically valid number of games how does switching at piece count M improve play?"
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Ovyron wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 am There's freely available "draw books", that you can use and they go very deep into variations that aren't problematic, where the engine doesn't have much to do and games end in a draw. People don't use those because you basically give away winning chances from the get-go.
Do you have some links?
Thanks!
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

cdani wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am Do you have some links?
The problem with draw books is that they become obsolete as time goes by, because people "patch" their books to avoid those lines (it's not that the lines stop working, it's that they don't get to be played at all.) So you have to continue working on the books yourself, or keep downloading most recent versions.

Here's my source:

https://outskirts.altervista.org/forum/ ... 23c69658e8

I'd link directly to the BIN section but some people prefer CTG (if you can get learning to work, some books are designed with that in mind.) You can experiment and see what works best for your engine and hardware (the best for Stockfish may be poor for Leela.)
Milos

Post by Milos »

Ovyron wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:24 am Q8200 @2.33Ghz 3CPU 256MB RAM for the engines. Reaching around 2400 kn/s on average. 5men TBs.
OMG, that is worse than my super cheap (120$) Chinese phone?!????