Stockfish NN release (NNUE)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: Stockfish NN release (NNUE)

Post by Raphexon »

Master Om

Post by Master Om »

hi,
The BMI2 compiles are not running on AMD Ryzen box. Also I am not able to figure out how to use the nn.bin
Please give a detailed instruction and popcnt compiles.
Always Expect the Unexpected
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Master Om wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:32 am
hi,
The BMI2 compiles are not running on AMD Ryzen box. Also I am not able to figure out how to use the nn.bin
On my Haswell CPU i7-6700HQ (mobile CPU), it does not run, too. I can start the engine in console-mode, but when I type "go infinite", it closes immediately. All other engines start thinking, then (Lc0, Stockfish, Komodo etc.)
Raphexon

Post by Raphexon »

pohl4711 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:33 am
hi,
On my Haswell CPU i7-6700HQ (mobile CPU), it does not run, too. I can start the engine in console-mode, but when I type "go infinite", it closes immediately. All other engines start thinking, then (Lc0, Stockfish, Komodo etc.)
The "...halfkp_256x2-32-32" binary needs the 20MB eval in the eval folder:

This is Chickenlogic's big net, that's afaik the strongest yet:

Do use the latest binaries with it:
https://github.com/nodchip/Stockfish/re ... 2020-06-04

The "...k-p_256x2-32-32" binary needs the 400 kb eval in the eval folder: (and also needs the latest binaries)
Use this net with it:
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 50#p845988

Also the nn file has to be called nn.bin, or it won't load.

Does it work now?
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

hi,
Try issuing an 'ucinewgame' and 'isready' command to make the engine load the net.
Without this it didn't work for me, either.
Jörg Oster
Raphexon

Post by Raphexon »

Joerg Oster wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:59 pm
hi,
Try issuing an 'ucinewgame' and 'isready' command to make the engine load the net.
I see your patch has been applied to the original Nodchip branch and new binaries with your patch have been released.

Interesting, time to train again with depth 4 and see what happens now after 1 iteration.
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

Raphexon wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 pm
Joerg Oster wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:59 pm
hi,
I see your patch has been applied to the original Nodchip branch and new binaries with your patch have been released.

Interesting, time to train again with depth 4 and see what happens now after 1 iteration.
Generating fens now might take a little bit more time,
but the scores should be more reliable now.
Jörg Oster
ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Post by ChickenLogic »

Joerg Oster wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 pm Generating fens now might take a little bit more time,
but the scores should be more reliable now.
So, I'd like to compile it on Linux. What do I have to do to make it work? And are there benefits using openMP? On Windows I get a warning that it is disabled but it still works.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Raphexon wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:12 am
hi,
The "...halfkp_256x2-32-32" binary needs the 20MB eval in the eval folder:

This is Chickenlogic's big net, that's afaik the strongest yet:

Do use the latest binaries with it:
https://github.com/nodchip/Stockfish/re ... 2020-06-04

The "...k-p_256x2-32-32" binary needs the 400 kb eval in the eval folder: (and also needs the latest binaries)
Use this net with it:
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 50#p845988

Also the nn file has to be called nn.bin, or it won't load.

Does it work now?
Both the small and big nets are named nn.bin, so which one is best to use with the latest binaries? The 400kb or 20mb?
Very interesting project!
Thanks!
ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Post by ChickenLogic »

For now there might not be a huge difference in the nets. But the bigger net will have a way higher ceiling and we're trying to get there. Although the bigger net might already be stronger.