Chess Fonts

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mephisto

Chess Fonts

Post by mephisto »

When we entered the Corona virus lockdown I decided to learn something new. For a few years I dabbled in making my own chess fonts but struggled with the font editors. Anyway during the lockdown I had plenty of time on my hands and I eventually found a font editor that I was able to understand and produce my own chess fonts. They are nothing special and I have used the same piece graphics to produce two slightly different fonts. It was really enjoyable learning a new skill and gave me hours of pleasure.

Besides making two fonts, I also made three new piece sets that can be used with Franz Huber's excellent CB-Emu chess computer emulation program.

Finally I have quicky put together a simple website where you can view the fonts and pieces and download them if you like.

Please find my website here: https://chess-fonts--graphics.yolasite.com/
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
AdminX

Re: Chess Fonts

Post by AdminX »

Thank You Bryan,

They are beautiful. Thank you.

PS: The MESS pieces also work in the Banksia GUI

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by mephisto »

Thank you Ted
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Thank Bryan for your impressive work. They look so nice! I love your chess pieces. Do you mind to:
  • publish clearly the license. At least on your website. It is best if you store it into your zip files
  • convert your fonts to SVG files. SVG files nowadays are more convenient than fonts for users. If you can convert yourself, you may control many things such as ratios, colors, id names (I prefer all pieces stored in one SVG file with typical chess notation for ids, e.g., 'K' for the white king, 'k' for the black king)...
Thanks again!
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Daniel
Full name: Daniel Tapia

Post by Daniel »

Bravissimo!
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Thanks for your work Daniel.

I like the Royal pieces.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Thanks you Danieland & Nordlandia

Hi Phhnguyen

The Italian & Royal chess pieces were supposed to be my update for Richard Lang's Chess Genius apps whom I have supplied chess graphics for since the Palm & Pocket PC days.

Unfortunately Richard has recently advised me that he hadn't got any plans to update his apps so I converted then to work with Franz Huber's CB-Emu emulation.

I am not bothered about licences. If anyone likes them then they are free to use. If anyone would prefer them as SVG files then again they are free to convert them.

Thank you for your kind words about my work.

Bryan
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

I'd consider using them in one or more of my iPhone, Android or Mac apps but i'm concerned about the lack of license. But to be honest i don't know much about liscences to tell you what best expresses your intent which is people are free to use them. But i've heard the MIT license is fairly permissive and found this on web https://tldrlegal.com/license/mit-license
A short, permissive software license. Basically, you can do whatever you want as long as you include the original copyright and license notice in any copy of the software/source. There are many variations of this license in use.
For individual users a simple web post saying anyone is free to use them can work but I think to get app authors comfortable they like to see a license they can file away as good for them to use the pieces in their app/s. Also are you obligated to anyone for originals. Did you create these all yourself or in part derive them from any other works whose license you would then inherit along with your own.

But hey i took a quick look at the pieces and some of them in particular look good for the type of chess pieces i like to use in games and different styles than anything I have. Nice work.

Mike
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Just file it under "Public Domain" licence, if you aren't concerned with others using your fonts in a commercial product.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi
My graphics have been used by ChessGenius, Hiarcs, Chess Tiger, Stockfish, Chess for Android, SmallFish and many more.

In the fifteen years of producing them I haven't yet been approached by any of the app authors about any licences. All I ask if someone is going to use them commercially is that my name appears somewhere in the credits.

They are completely my design every pixel. They take, believe it or not many hours to produce. It is one of my hobbies and after fifteen years of producing them, I still enjoy designing new pieces.

I am offering something free to chess player here and if you are worried about licences then don't bother using them, simple as that.