Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Version 0.30 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

Version 0.30 beta released

* Fixed bugs: Converted PGN books may have duplicate positions
* Some small improvements/adjustments
* New features:
  • Tournament: Human can join and play
  • Lichess bot: challenge multi-players, repeatable
  • Engine info panel: changeable font size
  • Support UCI_ShowMovesLeft

The human can join and play in a tournament
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Nordlandia

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Nordlandia »

phhnguyen: maybe you can try yourself to verify it work on your end just to be sure. If you have a cable lying around at your house.

I could open files on the other machines through the crossover and vise versa. I guess the problem lies in the program not communicating with the cable.
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

After seeing all the dozens of requests and suggestions for the BanksiaGUI, I would simply like to say a big thank you to the author, phhnguyen! :!:
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

KLc wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:40 pm After seeing all the dozens of requests and suggestions for the BanksiaGUI, I would simply like to say a big thank you to the author, phhnguyen! :!:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by JohnW »

When creating a new tournament between engines is there a way to get it to schedule the games more like how a human tournament would be scheduled?
What I mean by that is if I am watching multiple games at once I don't want to watch one engine play multiple games at the same time, I want see multiple games between different engines in each round of the tournament.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

This is a very nice gui, I especially like the multiple games that can be played at the same time.
I do have one suggestion. I find it difficult to discern which engine is playing with the white pieces and which one is playing black

If you look at the picture below, wouldn't it be better if the small boxes matched the color of the pieces? A blue box has no meaning.
I understand that the engine at the bottom is playing with the black pieces, but since the black pieces are playing from the top it's a little confusing at times.

I was thinking something like this which I copied from the LiChess website. It makes it clear who is playing white and who is playing black. Just my opinion though, great job with the GUI !

AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Feature request:

I often use the network function of the Banksia GUI, I would like to know if it is possible to give users the option to set a default icon for their remote network engine. Just one default icon that would be used to represent any remote network engine.

Example:

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by phhnguyen »

KLc wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:40 pm After seeing all the dozens of requests and suggestions for the BanksiaGUI, I would simply like to say a big thank you to the author, phhnguyen! :!:
AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:07 pm
Thanks all for the good words. They gave me a lot of energy :)
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

JohnW wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:47 pm This is a very nice gui, I especially like the multiple games that can be played at the same time.
I do have one suggestion. I find it difficult to discern which engine is playing with the white pieces and which one is playing black

If you look at the picture below, wouldn't it be better if the small boxes matched the color of the pieces? A blue box has no meaning.
I understand that the engine at the bottom is playing with the black pieces, but since the black pieces are playing from the top it's a little confusing at times.

I was thinking something like this which I copied from the LiChess website. It makes it clear who is playing white and who is playing black. Just my opinion though, great job with the GUI !

A color is an engine's color, setup by users in the Settings dialog. Thus you may change to any color you want. At the moment those colors are used to display the color of their thinking arrows and in their clock panel. They are not the color of side nor their pieces (users can select red for an engine and it can play for black side).
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm Feature request:

I often use the network function of the Banksia GUI, I would like to know if it is possible to give users the option to set a default icon for their remote network engine. Just one default icon that would be used to represent any remote network engine.

Example:

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will implement it soon.