How good is your engine?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

thewhip
Full name: Juan Garcia

Re: How good is your engine?

Post by thewhip »

What I can't understand is why certain engines are stubborn with a single answer instead of going deeper with other alternatives, since with each increase in depth the score remains the same or decreases. It practically overlooks the other moves.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

thewhip wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 pm What I can't understand is why certain engines are stubborn with a single answer instead of going deeper with other alternatives
Because it brings more elo.

In general that's the answer you will get to any question regarding engine's behavior, if it brings more elo it'll be in there, and that'll be it.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ovyron wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:11 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 am
Ovyron wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:45 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:00 am The best is Bluefish-XI with a couple small tweaks, which has no rivals so far in my testing.
Would you be willing to share it?

You will want to turn off logging in the UCI options.
Thanks Dann. I wonder if some pseudo-MultiPV 4 setting would outperform everything on the future, one that starts with Tactical=2 but reduces it to 0 as the search gets deeper (and the best move has already been caught.)
It is certainly an interesting idea, and perhaps it could be fully flexible (e.g. mpv count changes to go with search as it progresses)
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.