Patzer 3.80

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Patzer 3.80

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Brendan,

oh Phalanx and WChess ...
Wonderful engines, I think Phalanx much more as the Kittinger programs.
Phalanx are many years (before AnMon) with Zarkov my absolutely Number 1.

Compare it with ...

1. My wife
2. Eleanor Tomlinson
3. Kate Winslet
4. ...
5. ...
6. ...
7. ...
8. ...
9. ...
10. ... different of the others

1. Wasp
2. Spark
3. AnMon
4. Phalanx, Zarkov
6. Hakkapeliitta
7. ...
8. ...
9. ...
10. ... different of the others, but Ethereal is really great, maybe it will be kill different of engines I like so much.

What I will say it ... Phalanx ... a long time nothing ... and than ...
in my bad English, I hope with a good example!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Eleanor ...
Hope my wife will not read that.
I should not write to late hours.

:-)

Best
Frank

PS: For many years I switched a mail with Loreena ...
I wrote for my daughter in young years a fan mail to Loreena (McKennitt).
So Loreena answered and wrote ... oh Frank Quisinsky, a chess player (sure she found my name in www).
Loreena try to write a bit about chess with 1 or 2 sentence, very friendly answere!!

And I gave at this time the information ... the only program good enough for you, if we compare it with your voice, is Spark by Allard Siemelink. Thats artwork in chess programming. The same you do with your music.

But main topic was the "harp".
My daughter like in young years the music by Loreena (I too) and also the chess computer "Mephisto Milano" by Ed (I too).

Different chess programs from the past are really "artworks" today.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:12 pm Hi Wael,

more interesting, much more speculative and aggressive is Patzer 3.61L.
This experimental version we used in Leiden and can play very aggressive with pawns.
Maybe most aggressive with pawn moves from all engines at this time I know.
But around 25 Elo weaker as version 3.80.

I believe we made place 4 in Leiden with that Patzer version, I believe in the year 2001.
I tuned the book for a game vs. Fritz.
Thinking on the face by Frans Morsch after the book moves.
100% right was I do because Fritz plays without book moves to fast with the queen.
We had advantage in the game and a great attack but lost later in middlegame.
And the face by Frans (really a very, very nice guy) is much more friendly after the game.

I like the engine a lot and helps Roland at this time.
It's one of my favorits for self playing.

:-)

If you like to download the engine:
http://www.amateurschach.de/download/uc ... -v361l.rar

Patzer have many interesting possibilities in text mode.
Much more as modern engines today.

If you wish a great tournament ...
You have to added to Patzer: Aristarch, ETChess and AnMon
and you will be have fun until end of life.

Best
Frank

I am using Patzer as sparing partner vs. Gandalf.
Helps the Gandalf programmer to at this times and found many mistakes in Gandalf with the playing style of Patzer.

A nice time for computer chess.
The programmers and his very interesting own ways they go without all the open sources.
Thank You Mr Quisinsky for Patzer v3.61L !! Fifteen years and I've only seen Patzer 3.80 (anywhere and everywhere)
Don't think anyone knows about this version..."It's A Rare Bird Indeed"! AR :D :wink:

ps How many verisons of Patzer were released?

pss Chessengines.com links.. most of them are no longer any good...
Frank Quisinsky

Hi,

I don't know.
Patzer was a long time a private available engine.
Later Roland gave me the permission to added it on my site.
I believe a short time before I gave the Winboard site to Thomas Meyer, later Thomas Meyer gave my older site to Leo Dijksman.

It's very important that such engines not lose for the future.
Looking ... the work by Walter Ravenek (Arthur) is lost.

That's bad, very bad!
A men with so many ideas around chess programming and a wonderful engine he have. The Netherlands have many great programmers ... Bart Westrate for an second example, later Allard Siemelink. Kallisto was a great chess program, Spark too!!

Yes, I have a big collection from all the older engines, more as 100 Patzer versions are in my collection (I added here the most interesting in my opinion). With many programmers I have today no contacts and can not give it to others. With the years, many of older programs are available from time to time.

Most interesting chess programs, never available, is the French program "Chess Wizard". The programmer are really the "King" for many of the big group of French programmers ... Chess Wizard are stronger as ChessTiger in best times. I don't have Chess Wizard in my collections but many games.

The group of French chess programmers are very important in Winboard times. Because most helps comes from this people ... "100% Winboarders" the French programmers. And all I know are very nice guys, Franck ZIBI, Christian BARRETAU, Nejmet and of coruse Bruno (Dragon programmer), LaDame Blanche programmer, ETChess is just a wonderful work, Christopher Jolly (KnightX ... nice to see new KnightX versions), BBChess, Capture and so many others.

I am thinking a long time what I can do for the French programmers ...
The reason that different of the group of French programmers are partners from Arena GUI.
A good way to say "Thank you".

Best
Frank

Maybe I will start end of the year a Winboard tourney with the first great programs, like ZChess, Zarkov, Crafty, WB Nimzo, Dragon, Comet, Patzer, Gromit, Stober, Francesca, Phalanx and AnMon ... oh jes, the Stober programmer (his main program), also a nice guy and the Francesca programmer too. Again, it was a nice time. I am thinking much more interesting as today!
Sergio Martinez

Post by Sergio Martinez »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 pm Hi,

I don't know.
I believe a short time before I gave the Winboard site to Thomas Meyer, later Thomas Meyer gave my older site to Leo Dijksman.

That's bad, very bad!
A men with so many ideas around chess programming and a wonderful engine he have. The Netherlands have many great programmers ... Bart Westrate for an second example, later Allard Siemelink. Kallisto was a great chess program, Spark too!!

Yes, I have a big collection from all the older engines, more as 100 Patzer versions are in my collection (I added here the most interesting in my opinion). With many programmers I have today no contacts and can not give it to others. With the years, many of older programs are available from time to time.

Most interesting chess programs, never available, is the French program "Chess Wizard". The programmer are really the "King" for many of the big group of French programmers ... Chess Wizard are stronger as ChessTiger in best times. I don't have Chess Wizard in my collections but many games.

The group of French chess programmers are very important in Winboard times. Because most helps comes from this people ... "100% Winboarders" the French programmers. And all I know are very nice guys, Franck ZIBI, Christian BARRETAU, Nejmet and of coruse Bruno (Dragon programmer), LaDame Blanche programmer, ETChess is just a wonderful work, Christopher Jolly (KnightX ... nice to see new KnightX versions), BBChess, Capture and so many others.

The reason that different of the group of French programmers are partners from Arena GUI.

Best
Frank

Maybe I will start end of the year a Winboard tourney with the first great programs, like ZChess, Zarkov, Crafty, WB Nimzo, Dragon, Comet, Patzer, Gromit, Stober, Francesca, Phalanx and AnMon ... oh jes, the Stober programmer (his main program), also a nice guy and the Francesca programmer too. Again, it was a nice time. I am thinking much more interesting as today!
Hi Frank!

It is important to save work and in fact it is an important legacy, there are great engines that are going to be lost in oblivion because they were never released and I think it is a mistake.

Engines like Nutx, Xinix, Chester, Insomniac, Chepla, Warp, Falcon and Maestro, Ikarus, Isichess, Hossa, etc. come to my memory (in addition to the engines you say). Those engines certainly have interesting things to offer, even today.

Chess Wizard is a mythical program, I remember very well how strong it was at that time.

The early Chess Tiger versions were also very interesting, extremely aggressive.

I remember other interesting programs like Toledo2000 (or Zeus or Caligula) by Gerardo Castaño.

There are many programmers who have abandoned their work, which is a shame, but at least there are others who after a long time have decided to start again and that is something important

That's a great idea, you must start that tournament, in fact it would be interesting if you repeated some of your old tournaments with the same engines (even if they are different versions).

I always try to include old glories in my tournaments, they are the history of chess engines and in my opinion they must have a place in our memory, at least those that we have enjoyed in the past.

Best regards
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:56 pm Hi Ted,

not looking in detail but I added a logo-collection, I collected for many years (my older winboard site), for you on my server.
Here you can find a logo for Patzer, maybe you can find some other nice works by 100% "Winboarders ... nice guys the "Winboarders" ... believe me.

http://www.amateurschach.de/download/logos.zip (around 4-5Mb).

The good and old time ...

Best
Frank
Thanks Frank!
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by supersharp77 »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 pm Hi,

I don't know.

That's bad, very bad!

Best
Frank

Yes I agree...most of my searches are for these mostly forgotton engines...Stobor has such a interesting style Dragon 4.4.3 and 4.6 and even Dragon 3 are quite interesting and Francesca is a super solid program even vs todays best engines..Anmon has a special style and Phalanx (although quite buggy) is not bad Zchess is quite popular.. Nimzo
is unique (a fantastic opening book) and Comet and Crafty are "The Standards"....no I had no idea there were so many versions of Patzer! Icarus supposedly has a winboard version somewhere in the ether KnightX is Back!! :wink: :)

ps "Engines like Nutx, Xinix, Chester, Insomniac, Chepla, Warp, Falcon and Maestro, Ikarus, Isichess, Hossa, etc. come to my memory (in addition to the engines you say). Those engines certainly have interesting things to offer, even today."
Nutx xinix Chester Chepla Hossa are not available..(as far as I know) Insomniac is around...Falcon had a old link somewhere but it no longer works...Hossa was Private I believe...
thewhip
Full name: Juan Garcia

Post by thewhip »

Don't forget about Ruffian, an engine that quickly gained notoriety for its great tactical style of play.
thewhip
Full name: Juan Garcia

Post by thewhip »

And two other chess programs that I remember for their playing style are: Virtual Chess II and Power Chess 98.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

thewhip wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:06 pm Don't forget about Ruffian, an engine that quickly gained notoriety for its great tactical style of play.
+1

I'll never forget Ruffian because it was the very first engine that made think "this has better style than Rebel!" back when such a thing was hard to imagine! (Ruffian 1.0.5 - didn't really check 2.1 in depth)