On-line engine blitz tourney July

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Joost Buijs

On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by Joost Buijs »

The monthly on-line engine blitz tourney for July will take place on:

Saturday July 11, 2:00 PM EST (Boston time), 20:00 CET (Amsterdam time)

To connect:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost nightmare-chess.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp ENGINE.exe -fd ENGINEFOLDER -autoKibitz

(for UCI engines, add -fUCI)

People without an account on the server can submit a request for a (new) account to admin@nightmare-chess.nl

Tourney format: 11 rounds Swiss 4/1

Our tournament manager will be: Eendje (Lisebeth) from ICC

Last time we couldn't get mamer to work with more than 10 rounds, this should be fixed now.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney July

Post by hgm »

It is usually more efficient to play the McMahon system rather than pure Swiss. Because with such a large strength range of the participants the first 2 or 3 rounds of pure Swiss are wasted on differentiating the field such that you get interesting pairings, rather than guaranteed 1-0 results.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

hgm wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:36 am It is usually more efficient to play the McMahon system rather than pure Swiss. Because with such a large strength range of the participants the first 2 or 3 rounds of pure Swiss are wasted on differentiating the field such that you get interesting pairings, rather than guaranteed 1-0 results.
Yes, I know that the last year or so you used the McMahon system. I don't think that mamer supports it without modification, and to be honest we took over because you were having hardware and software problems and needed more time to get the server back in good shape. This is no problem at all, but I don't want to spend time on implementing new things.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Oh, I see. The version of mamer you are using doesn't implement McMahon. I never pushed that patch to my source-code repository. :oops:

Anyway, I did that now. So it is available, if you want it.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

hgm wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:42 pm Oh, I see. The version of mamer you are using doesn't implement McMahon. I never pushed that patch to my source-code repository. :oops:

Anyway, I did that now. So it is available, if you want it.
In fact I used the fork of Daniel Dugovic which is based on your repo of 4 years back. It has some things fixed with respect to 64 bit compilation, and a few other enhancements. Mamer is stand-alone, I have to talk to Liesbeth about using McMahon, it won't happen this tourney, but maybe the next.

I assume that all mamer commands remain the same, and that it is just a small modification to the Swiss format?
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Joost Buijs wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:02 pm The monthly on-line engine blitz tourney for July will take place on:

Saturday July 11, 2:00 PM EST (Boston time), 20:00 CET (Amsterdam time)

To connect:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost nightmare-chess.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp ENGINE.exe -fd ENGINEFOLDER -autoKibitz

(for UCI engines, add -fUCI)

People without an account on the server can submit a request for a (new) account to admin@nightmare-chess.nl

Tourney format: 11 rounds Swiss 4/1

Our tournament manager will be: Eendje (Lisebeth) from ICC

Last time we couldn't get mamer to work with more than 10 rounds, this should be fixed now.
Is the 4/1 four moves a minute or a second?
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

The 4/1 is fisher clock: 4 minutes for the whole game and 1 second increment per move (this is per player). When we assume a game takes 60 moves, a game would take 10 minutes, the tourney with 11 rounds would take 110 minutes. In practice though the tourney will take about 2.5 hours.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Hi joost
I've some connection problems this time

Does everyone have a problem too?
Dany / Isa
Isa download :
Henk

Post by Henk »

i get "connection closed by ics"