Help with Scorpio 3.0.8

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Help with Scorpio 3.0.8

Post by Dann Corbit »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:53 pm It has some problems with openings. Up until a few nets ago its best opening move is b4!
That move is now finally out of the top 4 but I was about to accept the result as is, and preparing excuses that it is a good opening :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokolsky_Opening
Another reason to love scorpio.
The orangutan is my favorite opening.
OK, maybe not the strongest. But good,clean, quirky fun.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Igorru
Full name: Igor Yurkin

Post by Igorru »

Good afternoon. Could you help me with the launch of Scorpio 3.0.8. I installed everything as described in https://github.com/dshawul/Scorpio/blob ... INSTALL.md. Created UCI engine. But when I load into the ChessProgram, I get an error.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Could you try running the following from the command line on the Scorpio/bin/Windows directory ?

Code: Select all

scorpio.bat go quit
Post back the output you get.
Igorru

Post by Igorru »

Well
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

It looks like it has not finished calibrating the networks since the last message printed is "loading graphs".
Give it a couple of minutes and it should produce analysis on the start position with PVs like "e2e4 e7e5".
Once this process completes, you can install "scorpio.bat" not "scorpio.exe" in your favourite GUI.
Igorru

Post by Igorru »

There are indeed "e2e4 e7e5" messages. But if you select scorpio.bat in the UCI installation window, nothing is created. And if scorpio.exe - the same error as before
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Igorru wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:20 pm There are indeed "e2e4 e7e5" messages. But if you select scorpio.bat in the UCI installation window, nothing is created. And if scorpio.exe - the same error as before
If you get analysis, it means the installation is done correctly.
What GUI are you using?
UCI GUIs often create config file for engines that could mess up things for engines which have own config files like Scorpio does.
Try removing the engine installation in the GUI completely, before installing it again.
Also, try to install it as xboard engine first.
If you are a member of discord, we can chat more conveniently to solve the problem faster. My handle is dshawul.
Igorru

Post by Igorru »

I am use Chessbase - ChessProgram17
How remove the engine installation in the GUI ? Thanks
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Request to Daniel Shawul. Can you help to run the engine Scorpio in the latest version under Windows 10 x64 bit. My GUI is CuteChess 1.2.0. Please write what I need to download and where and how to run the GUI. Thank you in advance for all information.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

The answer is right infront of you!
Please read INSTALL.md as it has everything you need.

https://github.com/dshawul/Scorpio/blob ... INSTALL.md

Download install.bat and execute it in different ways based on whether you have a GPU.
Also please don't just double click it as that will install scorpio wherever your current path is.
I recommend you open up a command window, cd to the directory you want scorpio installed, and then
exectue install.bat with different options.

I am very puzzled as to why people are having difficulty with installation.

Please please let me know what is not clear in INSTALL.md so that I can improve it

So far from this thread all I can conclude is that users don't follow instructions sorry.
For example, you complained about downloading everything that is offered, when INSTALL.md clearly says right at the very beginning to download only install.bat.