Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:48 am
AdminX wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:00 am I have two systems, both with two video cards (Intel and Nvidia). One is a Desktop and the other a laptop. On the laptop "Opacity" appears to control opactiy for both the App and Panel BK. On the desktop for some reason it only controls the App BK. Any ideas on why this is? I think that in a earlier version you could set opacity for each individually.
Usually, BSG doesn't control the opacity of Panel background. There is only a trick for setting up its opacity: select Plain color then change the opacity of that the selected color.

It is not hard to add an opacity controller for Panel BK. However, I worry about the complexity for users (too many things to control) :shock:
On Windows that not work for me, but I was able solve the problem by ajusting the Alpha Channel. My value was set to 255, so I lowered the value and that solved the problem.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Heinrich Pulliter

Post by purechess »

Looked into the "Creating a chess opening book" from a PGN base tool.

The tool is missing a "Done" button where as a user I expect that the build-in tool who'd start creating a opening book.

How that tool "Creating a chess opening book" works in Banksia GUI ?
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

How do I install a java engine under Banksia?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

A few of my favorite themes. :D

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:56 pm Suggestion:

Can we get an option to set a default name for human? It would be nice not to always have to type your name in. :D
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It will be implemented!
AdminX wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:48 am
AdminX wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:00 am I have two systems, both with two video cards (Intel and Nvidia). One is a Desktop and the other a laptop. On the laptop "Opacity" appears to control opactiy for both the App and Panel BK. On the desktop for some reason it only controls the App BK. Any ideas on why this is? I think that in a earlier version you could set opacity for each individually.
Usually, BSG doesn't control the opacity of Panel background. There is only a trick for setting up its opacity: select Plain color then change the opacity of that the selected color.

It is not hard to add an opacity controller for Panel BK. However, I worry about the complexity for users (too many things to control) :shock:
On Windows that not work for me, but I was able solve the problem by ajusting the Alpha Channel. My value was set to 255, so I lowered the value and that solved the problem.

AdminX wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:28 pm A few of my favorite themes. :D

Very nice themes. Thanks for your work!
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

purechess wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm Looked into the "Creating a chess opening book" from a PGN base tool.

The tool is missing a "Done" button where as a user I expect that the build-in tool who'd start creating a opening book.

How that tool "Creating a chess opening book" works in Banksia GUI ?
BSG can build opening books from games in databases and generate books in Polyglot, PGN or EPD formats.

It is used to build directly from PGN games. However, after considering carefully, we decided to turn that feature off. Instead, users may need to download some existing ones or convert their PGN games into BSG’s database first. Converting requires more steps to do but can help to save time in general since the converting process can parse, extract info, and sort games at once and the opening builder doesn’t need to repeat the such consumed time processes again.

Fig. 1 illustrates how to download an existing database to try. Just go to menu->Tools->Download to open the dialog, select the database tab, and click the download button to start.

After having a database, users can start generating opening books. Go menu->Tools->Create Opening Book to open a new dialog as Fig. 2, fill the “Database” the path of the database, and a new file path of the new opening book for “Book file” box. Other parameters can be kept with default values. After filling two path-boxes, the button “Process” in the bottom will be active and users can click on it to start. Just wait until the building-process completed as Fig. 3. Users can check the output folder to find the new opening book and can use it immediately.

The process is quite fast. For example, in Fig. 3 BSG can process all 50k games in 4 seconds only to create a book Polyglot 1.1 MB.

About parameters:
* Game conditions: only game satisfies the conditions will be processed (otherwise be ignored)
  • min player Elo: 0-ignore that parameters, otherwise check both players and accept only if their Elo from that limit
  • min game length: count games from that length (ply)
  • repeat at least: an open line should be played from that number of games (say, 3 means it should be played at least in 3 games)
* White/Black: save down data for a side or both
* Game result factors: Polyglot assigns a number as a weight for each move in the book. When playing, the program will compare the weights to know which moves are the best, which ones are worse. BSG uses game results as votes for weights. More winning games the moves in an opening line will have higher weights and vice versa…

For examples: the weight of a move will be counted as the following formulas:
Weight = 5 * winCount + 2 * drawCount + 0 * lossCount

Users may change the formula to any you want via changing factors.

Some games may have not result. Users can totally ignore them or consider them as wins/draws/losses.

Fig. 1 Download an existent database

Fig. 2 Prepare for generating an opening book

Fig. 3 A book generated
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:24 pm How do I install a java engine under Banksia?
When adding a new chess engine (open Settings dialog -> Engines tab, click on "+" button), just copy the whole command line into "Engine file" box. The alternative way is to copy Java path into "Engine file" and the path of jar including other parameters info "Init strings" box.

Below is an illustration, it is not Java (my computer has a problem to run Java at the moment) but to run a JavaScript engine (js) with the help from the app "node" (similar to java file)

Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:51 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:24 pm How do I install a java engine under Banksia?
When adding a new chess engine (open Settings dialog -> Engines tab, click on "+" button), just copy the whole command line into "Engine file" box. The alternative way is to copy Java path into "Engine file" and the path of jar including other parameters info "Init strings" box.

Below is an illustration, it is not Java (my computer has a problem to run Java at the moment) but to run a JavaScript engine (js) with the help from the app "node" (similar to java file)
Thanks Pham.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

I am running a tournament and noticed that in case of a time forfeit '[Termination "timeout"] is included in the PGN header. That is not suitable for us to process, 'time' should also be included at the end of the game, like this:
119. Kd4 {+5.02/21 1} Ra8 {0.00/17 0} 120. Kd3 {+5.02/21 1} ... {Black forfeits on
time} 1-0
or
120. Rf1 {[%eval -229,18]
[%emt 0:00:01]} Kg6 {[%eval -281,11] [%emt 0:00:02] (Ra2+)} 121. Rh1 {[%eval
-211,17] [%emt 0:00:01] Time} 1-0
etc.

Could you please comply with that?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:30 am I am running a tournament and noticed that in case of a time forfeit '[Termination "timeout"] is included in the PGN header. That is not suitable for us to process, 'time' should also be included at the end of the game, like this:
119. Kd4 {+5.02/21 1} Ra8 {0.00/17 0} 120. Kd3 {+5.02/21 1} ... {Black forfeits on
time} 1-0
or
120. Rf1 {[%eval -229,18]
[%emt 0:00:01]} Kg6 {[%eval -281,11] [%emt 0:00:02] (Ra2+)} 121. Rh1 {[%eval
-211,17] [%emt 0:00:01] Time} 1-0
etc.

Could you please comply with that?
Sure, I will add that comment for time forfeit for the next release.
Is [Termination "timeout"] still OK?