MacHack under PDP-10 emulation

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Re: MacHack under PDP-10 emulation (HOWTO)

Post by WinPooh »

IanO wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:33 pm
P.S. One match I am curious about: Ken Thompson included his simple chess program in early Unix distributions. I wonder which was stronger?)
Sorry for off-topic question. I remember a chess program which was included as a code example in Borland C++ package in early 90's. It had own GUI and could run under Windows 3.1. Who was the author of that program? How strong it was, compared to programs of that time - Chessmaster, Psion Chess, etc.?
Gerd Isenberg

Re: MacHack under PDP-10 emulation (HOWTO)

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

WinPooh wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:34 pm
IanO wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:33 pm
P.S. One match I am curious about: Ken Thompson included his simple chess program in early Unix distributions. I wonder which was stronger?)
Sorry for off-topic question. I remember a chess program which was included as a code example in Borland C++ package in early 90's. It had own GUI and could run under Windows 3.1. Who was the author of that program? How strong it was, compared to programs of that time - Chessmaster, Psion Chess, etc.?
Torbo Chess by Kaare Danielsen was first written in Turbo Pascal and later ported to C++ by Borland. See post by Kaare Danielsen.
No idea about its strength - not that weak, see features, but it had no transposition table nor null-move pruning.
jdart

Re: MacHack under PDP-10 emulation

Post by jdart »

Interesting, did Caltech have a text version of Spacewar? The ones I know about used vector CRT displays.
I may have misremembered. But IIRC they had relatively few CRTs and even fewer Tektronics graphics terminals.

--Jon
larsbrinkhoff
Full name: Lars Brinkhoff

Re: MacHack under PDP-10 emulation

Post by larsbrinkhoff »

I will not be monitoring this forum closely. If anyone has questions about MacHack VI in the future, go to http://github.com/PDP-10/its for the latest information.