CuteChess game terminations

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chrisw

CuteChess game terminations

Post by chrisw »

I have a game running in cutechess (graphics mode) with high count of continuous 0.0 evals (moves 48 to 98, both sides). Tournament mode, I have it set at draw adjudication movenumber 48, movecount 10, score 0 cp, which I took to mean that after movenumber 48 it will check for a continuous series of ten 0 cp scores and then declar (adjudicated) DRAW. Only It doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: CuteChess game terminations

Post by Guenther »

chrisw wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:05 pm I have a game running in cutechess (graphics mode) with high count of continuous 0.0 evals (moves 48 to 98, both sides). Tournament mode, I have it set at draw adjudication movenumber 48, movecount 10, score 0 cp, which I took to mean that after movenumber 48 it will check for a continuous series of ten 0 cp scores and then declar (adjudicated) DRAW. Only It doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?
Cutechess Help (=Tooltip) wrote:The scores of both players need to be within the chosen threshold for this many consecutive moves. Captures and pawn moves will reset the counters.
BTW I would not use '0', especially if you wanna speed up testing. As it already compares both scores range, why not sth around 5-15cp?
If you test against other engines, you sometimes won't get 0 at all, if they add a static bonus or contempt, even in dead draw positions.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
chrisw

Re: CuteChess game terminations

Post by chrisw »

Guenther wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:34 pm
chrisw wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:05 pm I have a game running in cutechess (graphics mode) with high count of continuous 0.0 evals (moves 48 to 98, both sides). Tournament mode, I have it set at draw adjudication movenumber 48, movecount 10, score 0 cp, which I took to mean that after movenumber 48 it will check for a continuous series of ten 0 cp scores and then declar (adjudicated) DRAW. Only It doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?
Cutechess Help (=Tooltip) wrote:The scores of both players need to be within the chosen threshold for this many consecutive moves. Captures and pawn moves will reset the counters.
BTW I would not use '0', especially if you wanna speed up testing. As it already compares both scores range, why not sth around 5-15cp?
If you test against other engines, you sometimes won't get 0 at all, if they add a static bonus or contempt, even in dead draw positions.
Ah, okay, thanks, I'll try with range. Also hadn't realised there was a reset on non-reversibles. Normally I use the non-graphical cli for mass testing, but sometimes it's useful to watch single games (40 in 15mins) looking at respective depths, main lines, blunders and so on. Quick enough to give results, but slow enough to make sense of in realtime.