Stockfish performing bad on ryzen cpu.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

corres

Re: Stockfish performing bad on ryzen cpu.

Post by corres »

awsmak wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:05 am ...
The head of this post obviously a stupid one.
I am sure the great majority of members use a kind of AMD CPU without any real issue. I am using now the
third one but it is true, these are working not in a weak laptop.
As I stated it is an artificial problem and dispute what is generated to call the attention on the poster, I think.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:31 pm
awsmak wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:12 pm
MikeB wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:46 pm Can you try this "exe" it was specifically compiled for AMD processors ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4q40z21sx5on ... D.exe?dl=0
Note - binary is large 70MB - has NNUE and 55 EGTB's built in.
based on current Honey source:
https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/tree/honey

benches on a 3970x
current bench - classic mode 64 threads command:"Bluefish-12-W-AMD.exe b 2048 64 18 true >/dev/null" :
=================================
Total time (ms) : 41255
Nodes searched : 5387767058
Nodes/second : 130596k

NNUE mode 64 threads command "Bluefish-12-W-AMD.exe b 2048 64 18 true >/dev/null" :
Total time (ms) : 36933
Nodes searched : 4184508490
Nodes/second : 113299k

with 6 cores Classic mode:
"Bluefish-12-W-AMD.exe b 512 6 13 >/dev/null"
Total time (ms) : 4160
Nodes searched : 63355817
Nodes/second : 15229k

with 6 cores NNUE mode
Bluefish-12-W-AMD.exe b 512 6 13 true >/dev/null
Total time (ms) : 5122
Nodes searched : 68626044
Nodes/second : 13398k
here are the some benches i tried
benches
1. bench 1024 16 18(classic)
Total time (ms) : 58783
Nodes searched : 1726863436
Nodes/second : 29376k

2. bench 1024 16 18(nn)
Total time (ms) : 83207
Nodes searched : 1845741017
Nodes/second : 22182k

3. bench 512 16 18(classic)
Total time (ms) : 54117
Nodes searched : 1595600521
Nodes/second : 29484k

4. bench 512 16 18(nn)
Total time (ms) : 77931
Nodes searched : 1720925110
Nodes/second : 22082k

5. bench 512 8 18(classic)
Total time (ms) : 43420
Nodes searched : 979584488
Nodes/second : 22560k

6. bench 512 8 18(nn)
Total time (ms) : 61939
Nodes searched : 1014954251
Nodes/second : 16386k

7. bench 512 6 13 ( classic )
Total time (ms) : 4051
Nodes searched : 60510698
Nodes/second : 14937k

8.bench 512 6 13(nnue)
Total time (ms) : 8240
Nodes searched : 100290774
Nodes/second : 12171k

I conducted a 10 rounds tournament at level '3 seconds per move' in arena with Bluefish-12-W-AMD.exe and stockfish_20090216_x64_avx2.exe both ran on 8 cores and 512 hash. bluefish lost 8 out of 10 games and 2 were draw.
WOW those are some results - care to provide the PGN file?

How long did it take to run that match and what machine were you using ( how many cores) , and how many games were being run in concurrency?

Edit: Thanks - Seems I like I just broke something, Your short test and my short test confirms it.
Although your testing methods are unorthodox , they did help me identify a problem I had with SMP mode - which is now fixed.

Code: Select all

#########################################################################################################
###                                              Summary                                              ###
#########################################################################################################

PGN File: c:/cluster.mfb/pgn/09152159.pgn
Time Control: Time Control-> base+inc: 60+1.000
Games: 1998
Threads: 4
Hash: 256run

Current date : time (EDST)
Date: 09/16/20 : 05:46:58

Projected-> Time: 8h:6m:12s
     Run -> Time: 7h:47m:49s

1998 game(s) loaded
Rank Name                    Rating   Δ     +    -     #     Σ    Σ%     W    L    D   W%    =%   OppR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Bluefish-12-W-AMD-1520   3508   0.0    8    8  1998 1044.0  52.3  325  235 1438  16.3  72.0  3492
   2 stockfish-1520           3492  15.3    8    8  1998  954.0  47.7  235  325 1438  11.8  72.0  3508
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Δ = delta from the next higher rated opponent
  # = number of games played
  Σ = total score, 1 point for win, 1/2 point for draw

LOS:
                        Bl st
Bluefish-12-W-AMD-1739     99
stockfish-1739           0

###                                                End                                                ###

1998 game(s) loaded

latest Bluefish and curr-dev-Stockfish with eval.bin 1520
https://www.dropbox.com/t/NI536NzCWY4Jk9Kv

not a release , just bleeding edge

Black Diamond, Honey and Oki Maguro, bleeding edge

https://www.dropbox.com/t/j5FRgTzEUH2Egivx

stockfish source above:
https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... master.zip
honey source for above:
https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... /honey.zip
awsmak
Full name: Akshay Chacko

Post by awsmak »

Thank you everyone for replying and for your guidance. Most of you guys were saying that this post is irrelevant or I am doing this to get attention. I admit that I made a mistake. I should have made the title of this thread more specific. I am sure that there are so many users who use AMD cpu for chess analysis without any problem. I think its just the problem of my cpu. I should have put the title of this topic as "Stockfish Performing bad on Amd Ryzen 7 4800h cpu". I learnt a lot from this thread thank you everyone for helping me. Everything I stated was honest and true. I am not able to create the pgn file of the entire tournament as it was run on an android application called "chess for android". I will try to create one and post here.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

awsmak wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:11 am Thank you everyone for replying and for your guidance. Most of you guys were saying that this post is irrelevant or I am doing this to get attention. I admit that I made a mistake. I should have made the title of this thread more specific. I am sure that there are so many users who use AMD cpu for chess analysis without any problem. I think its just the problem of my cpu.
No, it is not a problem of your cpu. Stockfish is not crashing on your cpu and the nps you are getting is normal. That's basically the end of the story. If something goes wrong in your matches, then that's because of how you are conducting the matches. It is also not unlikely that your expectations are just a bit off. Higher speed doesn't mean you won't be seeing mostly draws.
awsmak

Post by awsmak »

syzygy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:57 am
awsmak wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:11 am Thank you everyone for replying and for your guidance. Most of you guys were saying that this post is irrelevant or I am doing this to get attention. I admit that I made a mistake. I should have made the title of this thread more specific. I am sure that there are so many users who use AMD cpu for chess analysis without any problem. I think its just the problem of my cpu.
No, it is not a problem of your cpu. Stockfish is not crashing on your cpu and the nps you are getting is normal. That's basically the end of the story. If something goes wrong in your matches, then that's because of how you are conducting the matches. It is also not unlikely that your expectations are just a bit off. Higher speed doesn't mean you won't be seeing mostly draws.
Thank you. Is there any android application other than "chess for android" to automate this? And also create the pgn file of whole tournament?
corres

Post by corres »

syzygy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:57 am ...
No, it is not a problem of your cpu.
I agree you. But as I pointed out there may be lot of issue what can influence the general chess power of a PC.
So if has problems nps or any other things at first he have to investigate his machine in a service or with a clever college, who can check not only the working of the machine but the method of conducting the match.
If everything in order, the poster can turn to the community for some advices. Without these his post is no
more than a spam, a self-aiming trolling.
I do not know, where was hgm, the moderator, who like to criticize the works of others.
awsmak

Post by awsmak »

I am extremely sorry if someone got hurt by this topic. I never meant to criticize anyone. I am apologizing to Talkchess Community and anyone who got hurt by my words which I never wanted to. Sorry everyone. My problem is not solved but no problem. As some members pointed out, I maybe doing something wrong or it maybe just a problem to my machine due to some background application or something. I am happy that after resetting my pc atleast my machine is not loosing . I request the moderators of TC to remove this topic. Thank you everyone.. 👏👏
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

awsmak wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:06 am I am extremely sorry if someone got hurt by this topic. I never meant to criticize anyone. I am apologizing to Talkchess Community and anyone who got hurt by my words which I never wanted to. Sorry everyone. My problem is not solved but no problem. As some members pointed out, I maybe doing something wrong or it maybe just a problem to my machine due to some background application or something. I am happy that after resetting my pc atleast my machine is not loosing . I request the moderators of TC to remove this topic. Thank you everyone.. 👏👏
You joined the forum on September 4 , less than two weeks ago- Welcome to the forum! There is really no reason to remove the topic. You meant no harm. My only advice is try to keep your initial setup simple. CuteChess GUI is a very good GUI for running engine matches and very simple to use.

If you really want to see how matches chess are run - install fishtest on your machine - you will learn a lot. They use the cutechess cli ( client) which is headless, no GUI - which is probably the best way to run a chess match.

https://stockfishchess.org/get-involved/

Again, welcome aboard - and have some fun!
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

MikeB wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:52 am
awsmak wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:06 am I am extremely sorry if someone got hurt by this topic. I never meant to criticize anyone. I am apologizing to Talkchess Community and anyone who got hurt by my words which I never wanted to. Sorry everyone. My problem is not solved but no problem. As some members pointed out, I maybe doing something wrong or it maybe just a problem to my machine due to some background application or something. I am happy that after resetting my pc atleast my machine is not loosing . I request the moderators of TC to remove this topic. Thank you everyone.. 👏👏
You joined the forum on September 4 , less than two weeks ago- Welcome to the forum! There is really no reason to remove the topic. You meant no harm. My only advice is try to keep your initial setup simple. CuteChess GUI is a very good GUI for running engine matches and very simple to use.

If you really want to see how matches chess are run - install fishtest on your machine - you will learn a lot. They use the cutechess cli ( client) which is headless, no GUI - which is probably the best way to run a chess match.

I hope you mean the fishtest worker, and not the whole thing ...
Jörg Oster
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Joerg Oster wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:21 pm
MikeB wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:52 am

I hope you mean the fishtest worker, and not the whole thing ...
correct ...