CTF Survey - Finished. Results in final post.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Re: CTF Survey

Post by Sam Hull »

2. CTF should be closed

I think its time has come and gone. Personally I don't enjoy reading or posting there anymore, much less moderating it; nearly all of its best contributors (Stephen above for example) left long ago; old-timers here remember who those worthy 'thinkers' were. There are plenty of opinion forums where anything from intelligent and informed discussion to massive flame wars can be enjoyed without incurring the headaches that come with trying to manage one here. Stick to the positive content that makes CCC unique and exceptional, delete anything else with extreme prejudice. My two cents.

-Sam-
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:30 pm What do members think about our Chess Thinkers subforum (CTF)? There are 3 options below please reply in this thread with either 1, 2 or 3. One post per member only. Any other content will be deleted. We can not run this as a poll as since the forum upgrade polls are broken. This will run for 7 days.

1. CTF should continue as it is now.
2. CTF should be closed
3. Allow CTF to continue as a hidden forum only visible to those who request access.
The CTF should not be closed. It should be open for ALL to see! All views even crazy communist, racist, bias views should be heard. It is always better for the nuts to have the opportunity to show us all their true views. They are not a threat.

CCC has lost its way long ago, and did not even follow their own charter. Elections, Charter, and founding principles died a long time ago.

If you are sick of moderating. Then have an election, and follow the original charter.

Remember your charter as written today. And follow it!.

1. Are, within reason, on the topic of computer chess
2. Are not abusive in nature
3. Do not contain personal and/or libelous attacks on others
4. Are not flagrant commercial exhortations
5. Are not of questionable legal status.
Last edited by mwyoung on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Ofcouse (1) is the stupidest thing to do, but that is exactly what a few in CTF desperately want so that they continue to use the forum for their racist, neo-nazi, homophobic propaganda. One person, in particular, is hell-bent on preventing CCC folks from voting, since he badly wants (1).
So I ask CCC folks, if there ever will be held a moderator election, go and vote! We need a solution for the filth that CTF has become one way or another. If there is no election and the forum is closed, then at least it won't be a platform to spread hate.

Option (3) is also not good either since some like myself and other chess enthusiasts want to participate in off-topic discussions from time to time.
I do not have to be exposed to racist insults there to do that. So hiding the forum is a win for the group that wants to see the status quo maintained.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Daniel I want again apologize for the situation .
When we founded the whole forum it was never our intention to create a forum for Neonazis and racists .
The moderators did not delete these things. That’s why we campaigned for new elections and new moderators who
Would not do nothing and instead clean the mess.

The majority of founders were europeans. We could not imagine that moderators do not delete hate speeches because they call this „free speech“ and no personal insult in USA.

If 1 cannot be done with moderators who have a mandate and do something against the right wing postings,
2 seems the only way to go.

The situation as it is now is going on for a very long time.

And no moderator did anything against it.
This is a shame.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Close CTF.
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

1. CTF should continue as it is now.
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
jp

Post by jp »

2. CTF should be closed
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

It's sad really...

The problem with politics is the tendency of moral implications being attached to each position one holds, and this makes it personal when people disagree.

And this is why things become so mean and toxic at CTF - between men who would likely laugh and share beers at chess events, otherwise.

There are people on this site who I'd likely be friends with, if not for differing political opinions.

With this in mind, I also vote for #2. Shut it down.

There are places for political discussion, but this should be a place where gentlemen discuss this fantastic hobby we share.

P.S. For political discussion/debate, I highly recommend Quora. There is a huge and strict moderation team and unsourced *opinions* are generally downvoted into oblivion.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

2. CTF should be closed

Have nothing to do with computer chess!
CTF freaks can open a new own forum if they like, where is the problem?

Best
Frank
Michel

Post by Michel »

2: shut it down.
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.