Sam retouched for CuteChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Sam retouched for CuteChess

Post by Roland Chastain »

Hello! I retouched Sam to make it compatible with CuteChess.

As you maybe know, CuteChess considers illegal a promotion move without the piece symbol. Some time ago, I had suggested to CuteChess developers to be less strict on that point, but they refused, which is their right. So when I have time I try to fix that problem in my favourite engines.

Maybe someone will be interested. Here is the source code, with Linux binaries. Unfortunately I don't yet had time to make binaries for Windows. (I don't have a Windows machine with a C compiler under the hand.)

sam-rc-0.1.zip

Thanks to Jonathan Kreuzer for his beautiful piece of code.

Regards.

Roland
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Re: Sam retouched for CuteChess

Post by tmokonen »

Roland Chastain wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:20 pm Hello! I retouched Sam to make it compatible with CuteChess.

As you maybe know, CuteChess considers illegal a promotion move without the piece symbol. Some time ago, I had suggested to CuteChess developers to be less strict on that point, but they refused, which is their right. So when I have time I try to fix that problem in my favourite engines.

Maybe someone will be interested. Here is the source code, with Linux binaries. Unfortunately I don't yet had time to make binaries for Windows. (I don't have a Windows machine with a C compiler under the hand.)

sam-rc-0.1.zip

Regards.

Roland
I get a page telling me access is denied when I try to download the file.

SamChess is a fun little program, and despite being very compact, it's fairly easy to read and understand. It took very little effort for me to change it to play variants like Knightmate and Knightrider chess.
Roland Chastain

tmokonen wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 pm SamChess is a fun little program, and despite being very compact, it's fairly easy to read and understand. It took very little effort for me to change it to play variants like Knightmate and Knightrider chess.
Yes, the code is easy enough to understand.

By the way, I have all your versions. I even copied a piece of code from them (for the handling of the "protover" command). :wink:

I had found the links on that page.
tmokonen wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 pm I get a page telling me access is denied when I try to download the file.
Thank you for reporting the problem. I hope it will work now. Could you retry please?
samchess.zip
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Sorry, I forgot to let you know that the updated link works fine.
Roland Chastain

tmokonen wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:01 am Sorry, I forgot to let you know that the updated link works fine.
Thank you for the confirmation. I could have verified myself by logging out of my Google account, but I didn't get the idea until after. :)
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Roland Chastain wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:20 pm Hello! I retouched Sam to make it compatible with CuteChess.

sam-rc-0.1.zip

Regards.

Roland
Just now after the link from Roland is not working anymore (link check for my chronology from today), I realized that this just had linux compilations and also that Tony wanted to create a windows compilation, but none was done so far.
Therefor I have created a win binary from Rolands fixed source now (ssse3 to cover most hardware) and uploaded to my download site.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
Roland Chastain

Guenther wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:24 am Just now after the link from Roland is not working anymore (link check for my chronology from today), I realized that this just had linux compilations and also that Tony wanted to create a windows compilation, but none was done so far.
Therefor I have created a win binary from Rolands fixed source now (ssse3 to cover most hardware) and uploaded to my download site.
Hello Günther!

Yes, I deleted my Google drive. Sorry for the inconvenience. :oops:

Thank you for the compilation. Feel free to append also the source on your page (and all the other sources from me that you would like).

Regards.

Roland