Hardware problems again?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Hardware problems again?

Post by Henk »

When I run a perft now my computer making terrible noise.
Like a alarm or something. It starts with a aeroplane/helicopter sound and then it gets so really bad that I have to shutdown my computer to make it stop.
What is going on? In the past I only heard that aeroplane/helicopter sound. But now that alarming sound is new and much louder. Even Neighbors shocked/disturbed

Computing perft(5) from initial position makes it happen. Maybe garbage collect starting it I don't know.
Henk

Re: Hardware problems again?

Post by Henk »

The HP CPU stresstest passed. Only slight helicopter sound. Maybe my implementation of perft is really bad for my computer. Or maybe virus-checker thinks it is a virus and starts an alarm sound? Guessing now.

By the way all HP systems tests passed without problems on my computer.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Check your cooling system. I guess you're on Windows, so install "hwinfo" (see https://www.hwinfo.com/download/). During the stress test, look at the CPU temperatures and the fan speeds.

1) Does the CPU fan even run? Might be broken. In that case, the CPU runs hot, and the case fans crank up to 100% because they are tied to the CPU temperature, but that won't go down with a broken CPU fan.

2) Otherwise, switch off the computer, remove the wall power cable, open the computer and check for dust clogging, especially the CPU cooler and the case fan inlets. If you use a vacuum cleaner, make sure the fans are blocked (finger or pencil) so that the vacuum cleaner doesn't make them turn (that would generate voltage which may damage your mainboard).

3) The mainboard button cell may be depleted, in which case the bios forgets its settings and returns to defaults. Maybe you had set your fan profile to "quiet", and now it's back to "normal" or "performance", that will be louder. Replace the battery.

4) The thermal paste between CPU cooler and CPU may have gone bad, either dried up or suffered from pump-out effect. In that case, you'd need to carefully remove the CPU cooler by removing the screws and twisting it very gently while it's still warm. Then clean with isopropyl alcohol and apply new thermal paste.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

Ras wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 pm Check your cooling system.
he has installed some software which generates sound via loudspeakers (i.e. "start to play MP3 record")
Ras

Post by Ras »

yurikvelo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:43 pmhe has installed some software which generates sound via loudspeakers (i.e. "start to play MP3 record")
That would be error ID 10T for the system vendor, one of the worse PEBCAC classes. :lol:
Rasmus Althoff
Henk

Post by Henk »

Ras wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 pm Check your cooling system. I guess you're on Windows, so install "hwinfo" (see https://www.hwinfo.com/download/). During the stress test, look at the CPU temperatures and the fan speeds.

1) Does the CPU fan even run? Might be broken. In that case, the CPU runs hot, and the case fans crank up to 100% because they are tied to the CPU temperature, but that won't go down with a broken CPU fan.

2) Otherwise, switch off the computer, remove the wall power cable, open the computer and check for dust clogging, especially the CPU cooler and the case fan inlets. If you use a vacuum cleaner, make sure the fans are blocked (finger or pencil) so that the vacuum cleaner doesn't make them turn (that would generate voltage which may damage your mainboard).

3) The mainboard button cell may be depleted, in which case the bios forgets its settings and returns to defaults. Maybe you had set your fan profile to "quiet", and now it's back to "normal" or "performance", that will be louder. Replace the battery.

4) The thermal paste between CPU cooler and CPU may have gone bad, either dried up or suffered from pump-out effect. In that case, you'd need to carefully remove the CPU cooler by removing the screws and twisting it very gently while it's still warm. Then clean with isopropyl alcohol and apply new thermal paste.
HWInfo64 running now. It says cooling device status ok. That's all. Temperature proble only shows status unknown etc.

By the way when I'm doing nothing my laptop sounds like my refrigerator. Don't like that sound.

O wait I see a window sensor status with some temperature info. Don't know which one to look at.
Don't see fan speed.
Henk

Post by Henk »

First want to tackle the whining sound when doing nothing. Don't think that that is related to fan. It is not loud but I can hear it clearly.
Maybe I should use HP support assistant and ask questions.
Henk

Post by Henk »

It is a constant purring noise when doing nothing. HP virtual agent says something with harddisk.
But nothing wrong with hard disk. I guess maybe it is using harddisk more than week ago.
I think probably best to deinstall some apps. Or maybe ignore it. In the long time maybe I am getting used to it.
I don't know whether it causes damage in long time.

Might be some background services running. I don't know. Using visual studio. Maybe new updates too heavy for my computer or made it install extra background services. Just guessing.
Ras

Post by Ras »

Reading that... Henk, better don't open the PC, and don't try to clean anything. You'd likely break something. Leave the maintenance to a proper repair shop.
Rasmus Althoff
Henk

Post by Henk »

With my previous notebook repair shop did not do anything and made me wait a week for they were too busy and note book being too old.
Although the new one I bought is not much better or even worse. Warranty already expired. Maybe that's the reason.

I don't open it. Much too difficult. Also I would first have to buy a screw driver.
Already used vacuum cleaner on outside of notebook. Made no difference.

Sound is more like an electronic wave sound. Don't know difficult to describe.