Tornado News

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: Tornado News

Post by Chessqueen »

Sylwy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am
Engin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:40 pm well i don't think that 10 games are enough :-(
Yes, of course ! Is just an intermediate result. All my test matches include 100 games (TC=4'+2" - 12-15 minutes per game). So......a little patience ! :wink:
Can somebody here run a tournament of all the NN and NNUE engines Besides SF NNUE, Komodo Dragon, Lela, which are obviously the strongest one. and post it here or create a Link on Youtube.com
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Engin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:41 am Hello Computer and Chessfriends,

i created a new Tornado site here: https://sites.google.com/view/tornadochess/start

you can download the last version 8 or just new Tornado with can be NNUE use it in the evalution function now.

it's amazing increased in strength with just only NNUE!

i did not really well test it, but seems it is now over 3000 elo or more :-)

later i will do my own neural network but that's need many time .... :-/

enjoy,
Engin
Was going to run a new tourney featuring Tornado but this single exe compile must be popcnt compile...(not working in my machine......need w64 npopcnt or x32 Thx AR :) :wink:
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

supersharp77 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:38 pm
Engin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:41 am Hello Computer and Chessfriends,

i created a new Tornado site here: https://sites.google.com/view/tornadochess/start

you can download the last version 8 or just new Tornado with can be NNUE use it in the evalution function now.

it's amazing increased in strength with just only NNUE!

i did not really well test it, but seems it is now over 3000 elo or more :-)

later i will do my own neural network but that's need many time .... :-/

enjoy,
Engin
Was going to run a new tourney featuring Tornado but this single exe compile must be popcnt compile...(not working in my machine......need w64 npopcnt or x32 Thx AR :) :wink:
sorry, yes this is only 64 bit popcount and SSE support version !
Angle
Full name: Aleksey Glebov

Post by Angle »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:57 pm
Engin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:40 pm well i don't think that 10 games are enough :-(
Yes, of course ! Is just an intermediate result. All my test matches include 100 games (TC=4'+2" - 12-15 minutes per game). So......a little patience ! :wink:
Can somebody here run a tournament of all the NN and NNUE engines Besides SF NNUE, Komodo Dragon, Lela, which are obviously the strongest one. and post it here or create a Link on Youtube.com
Interesting idea. Ptobably, I can organize such a tourney after my next planned tournament. But I will include only engines using their own nets (at least not SF and not Leela nets). So Tornado, BBC, Mayhem and some others engines using SF NNUE will not be included. Instead, I will include Ethereal, Slow, Nemorino, RubiChess, Minic, Orion, Seer, Halogen (may be Igel) and others engines using original nets. Also Leela CPU may be included.
Incredibly fast systems miscount incredibly fast.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Angle wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:37 am
Interesting idea. Probably, I can organize such a tourney after my next planned tournament. But I will include only engines using their own nets (at least not SF and not Leela nets). So Tornado, BBC, Mayhem, and some others engines using SF NNUE will not be included. Instead, I will include Ethereal, Slow, Nemorino, RubiChess, Minic, Orion, Seer, Halogen (may be Igel) and others engines using original nets. Also Leela CPU may be included.
Pedone 2.1 now has its own NNUE, not simply implemented by replacing SF NNUE
"Yes Pedone is now using NNUE. I have implemented my own network with included castle rights and with independent weights for the both sides.
For the training I have used 14 depth search score of Pedone with traditional evaluation and I have used a simple SGD to train the net.
I'm not an expert on NN but I have found on the net a lot of material that have helped the development.
I also have a discussion with Marco Belli and we have helped each other in implementing NNUE."
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:58 pm Pedone 2.1 now has its own NNUE, not simply implemented by replacing SF NNUE
"Yes Pedone is now using NNUE. I have implemented my own network with included castle rights and with independent weights for the both sides.
For the training I have used 14 depth search score of Pedone with traditional evaluation and I have used a simple SGD to train the net.
I'm not an expert on NN but I have found on the net a lot of material that have helped the development.
I also have a discussion with Marco Belli and we have helped each other in implementing NNUE."
Pedone 2.1 does not have its own NNUE, as stated in the first post of the Pedone 2.1 thread; instead it is the last version of Pedone that does not have NNUE, all future versions of Pedone have NNUE, such as the dev verson of Pedone playing at TCEC.
Engin

Post by Engin »

Angle wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:37 am
Interesting idea. Ptobably, I can organize such a tourney after my next planned tournament. But I will include only engines using their own nets (at least not SF and not Leela nets). So Tornado, BBC, Mayhem and some others engines using SF NNUE will not be included. Instead, I will include Ethereal, Slow, Nemorino, RubiChess, Minic, Orion, Seer, Halogen (may be Igel) and others engines using original nets. Also Leela CPU may be included.
Why not? What is the problem with SF NNUE? Well every engine is playing diffently even it's using same NNUE in the eval function, for example BBC is very weaker then my engine if they using same NNUE file.

I will using my own Network in future but thats takes a lot of time to training :-(
Angle

Post by Angle »

Engin wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:55 pm Why not? What is the problem with SF NNUE? Well every engine is playing diffently even it's using same NNUE in the eval function, for example BBC is very weaker then my engine if they using same NNUE file.
The problem is that I am not excited by a competition of eval-clones. Observing a bunch of engines with the same eval (which is not native for them) in one tourney is annoying. It's like a film festival, where all the participants offer the same movie, but in different quality (quality of search). However, the ''plot of movie'' is strongly defined by the eval rather than by search.
Angle

Post by Angle »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:58 pm Pedone 2.1 now has its own NNUE, not simply implemented by replacing SF NNUE
It would be nice to have Pedone NNUE with the original net in this tourney. Fabio says that the new release may be available in January.
Engin

Post by Engin »

Angle wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:27 pm
Engin wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:55 pm Why not? What is the problem with SF NNUE? Well every engine is playing diffently even it's using same NNUE in the eval function, for example BBC is very weaker then my engine if they using same NNUE file.
The problem is that I am not excited by a competition of eval-clones. Observing a bunch of engines with the same eval (which is not native for them) in one tourney is annoying. It's like a film festival, where all the participants offer the same movie, but in different quality (quality of search). However, the ''plot of movie'' is strongly defined by the eval rather than by search.
then you also not use same books for all engines too :-)