Nemorino is surprising everybody in League 1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Re: Nemorino is surprising everybody in League 1

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Chessqueen wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:20 pm This surprising elo gain happened after the implementation of NNUE,But what it seems more surprising in this league no engine has won a single game with the Black Pieces YET. https://tcec-chess.com/live.html
There is too small a sample size to conclude anything about Nemorino's Elo gains from the results in TCEC League 1.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Guenther wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:49 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:29 pm
Here is a position in which most human GMs will probably move its White King TO b6 and later promote, here comes the Big Surprise Nemorino promote to Queen and Ethereal resigned after taking the Queen thinking for 1 minute :shock:
https://tcec-chess.com/live.html#div=l1 ... &season=20

[d]2r5/P6k/3R4/1K6/4P3/8/8/5B2 w - - 0 1
Obviously you cannot read TCEC graphs and output properly, moreover uci engines don't resign at all.

Nemorino thought 4 minutes and Ethereal answered in 5 seconds, then the GUI adjudicated the game as a TBS win (syzygy 6men adjudication).
Nemorinos move also is no surprise at all, it is a typical move with using tablebases...
Okay I really did NOT pay attention of the fact that Nemorino thought for 4 minutes which tell that something obviously is wrong or went wrong for Nemorino not to chose Bh3 or Kb6, or even Bc4 followed by Kb6 ! as the best move, and that Ethereal did NOT resigned and it was the GUI that resigned for Ethereal. But the programmer of Nemorino should take a close look and find out why Nemorino promoted which is a longer way to find mate.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Chessqueen wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:48 pm Okay I really did NOT pay attention of the fact that Nemorino thought for 4 minutes which tell that something obviously is wrong or went wrong for Nemorino not to chose Bh3 or Kb6, or even Bc4 followed by Kb6 ! as the best move, and that Ethereal did NOT resigned and it was the GUI that resigned for Ethereal. But the programmer of Nemorino should take a close look and find out why Nemorino promoted which is a longer way to find mate.
Probably because games at TCEC are adjudicated at 6 men endgame tablebases, and the engines at TCEC are looking for the fastest route to tablebase wins, rather than to mate.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Chessqueen wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:48 pm
Here is a position in which most human GMs will probably move its White King TO b6 and later promote, here comes the Big Surprise Nemorino promote to Queen and Ethereal resigned after taking the Queen thinking for 1 minute :shock:

Obviously you cannot read TCEC graphs and output properly, moreover uci engines don't resign at all.

Nemorino thought 4 minutes and Ethereal answered in 5 seconds, then the GUI adjudicated the game as a TBS win (syzygy 6men adjudication).
Nemorinos move also is no surprise at all, it is a typical move with using tablebases...
Okay I really did NOT pay attention of the fact that Nemorino thought for 4 minutes which tell that something obviously is wrong or went wrong for Nemorino not to chose Bh3 or Kb6, or even Bc4 followed by Kb6 ! as the best move, and that Ethereal did NOT resigned and it was the GUI that resigned for Ethereal. But the programmer of Nemorino should take a close look and find out why Nemorino promoted which is a longer way to find mate.
You still did not understand most of what I wrote - time to put you in oblivion again for the umptieth time...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Guenther wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:47 pm
Here is a position in which most human GMs will probably move its White King TO b6 and later promote, here comes the Big Surprise Nemorino after 4 minutes promote to Queen and the GUI resigned for Ethereal after taking the Queen thinking for 5 seconds :shock:

You still did not understand most of what I wrote - time to put you in oblivion again for the umptieth time...
That promotion to Queen is NOT typical it is just another way to win but NOT the fastest, since I run it with 6 men syzygy and it made another move which found a faster way to mate, therefore, I will put you on my oblivion list :roll:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Chessqueen wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:15 am
Here is a position in which most human GMs will probably move its White King TO b6 and later promote, here comes the Big Surprise Nemorino after 4 minutes promote to Queen and the GUI resigned for Ethereal after taking the Queen thinking for 5 seconds :shock:

That promotion to Queen is NOT typical it is just another way to win but NOT the fastest, since I run it with 6 men syzygy and it made another move which found a faster way to mate, therefore, I will put you on my oblivion list :roll:
I guess that it is the fastest way for 6 piece tablebase win that is good enough for part of the engines to choose the move.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:58 pm
Uri Blass wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 am
Chessqueen wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:15 am

I guess that it is the fastest way for 6 piece tablebase win that is good enough for part of the engines to choose the move.
Okay Uri I just realized that if the programmer instructed Nemorino to give away material just so the GUI can call the match a win in nemorino favor then it is the fastest way to force the game to end, but if you look closely like Paloma pointed out there must be a bug in Nemorino since in move 61 Kb6?way before it reached the position where nemorino offer its Queen for free in move 61.Kb6 is a big blunder where 61.Rd8 Ra7 followed by 62. Kb8! Rf7 63.a7 Rxa7 and force the exchange of the a7 would be much better move, and NOT even a 1300 engine would make such a bad move.

Yes, 65.a8=Q is a bad move.
[pgn][Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "?"]
[Black "?"]
[Result "*"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "r7/2K4k/P2R4/8/4P3/8/2P5/5B2 w - - 0 61"]
[PlyCount "11"]

61. Kb6 $2 {15#} (61. Rd8 {13#} Ra7+ 62. Kb8 Rf7 63. a7 Rxa7 64. Kxa7 Kg7 65.
Rd6 {9#}) 61... Rb8+ 62. Kc6 Rc8+ 63. Kb5 $2 {16#} (63. Kb7 $1 {13#}) 63...
Rxc2 $2 64. a7 {12# (7men)} Rc8 65. a8=Q $4 {20#} (65. e5 $1 {11#} Ra8 66. e6 {
10#}) 65... Rxa8 66. e5 {19# (6men)} *
[/pgn]
61. Kb6? (15#)
(61. Rd8 (13#) Ra7+ 62. Kb8 Rf7 63. a7 Rxa7 64. Kxa7 Kg7 65. Rd6 (9#))
...Rb8+ 62. Kc6 Rc8+ 63. Kb5? 16#
(63. Kb7! (13#))
...Rxc2? 64. a7 (12#, (7men)) Rc8 65. a8=Q ?? (20#)
(65. e5! (11#) Ra8 66. e6 (10#))
65... Rxa8 66. e5 (19#, (6men)
[/quote]
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

LOL...
It finished next to last.
There is a message to all here to be learned here for some.