New engine releases 2020

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Vivien Clauzon has released Minic 3.02:

https://github.com/tryingsomestuff/Mini ... s/tag/3.02
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

Pi4Chess wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:32 am
JohnWoe wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:13 pm I decided to release Mayhem 2.5.
Too many changes to remember. Mostly speedups. I can't remember.

This version is the first Mayhem to beat Glaurung 2.2 in Blitz match.
Which has been a difficult opponent for Mayhem.

Release: https://github.com/SamuraiDangyo/mayhem ... s/tag/v2.5
Source code: https://github.com/SamuraiDangyo/mayhem

Added KQKR heuristics. Was kinda annoying to see Mayhem always shuffle KQKR to ½-½.
Seems to work fine :lol:
hello,
Until this version i could not managed to compile for rpi4. so that's good news !
Now i have 1 question : is your engine only using 1 core ? I have 300 kns search speed for 1 core of rpi4
Thanks!
Good to know Mayhem is working well. 300 knps is a bit low. Mayhem is ~100% faster (much weaker of course) than SF12 which uses the same NNUE evaluation. Mayhem is really sensitive on search speed as a wide searcher.

About 1 core. Yes Mayhem only uses 1 core atm. Everything is basically global. That's the simplest design.
AB search is hard to scale anyway. I want to scale perfectly on 1M cores not just 64. So for multiple cores I think MCTS is the right choice (If I start v2.6).
SMP is only speedup. Multiple threads give speedup no smartness.
Graham Banks wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:57 am
Could you please include popcount and non-popcount exes as well?
Thanks.
I added 2.5 nopopcnt to releases. It's slow but should work fine. The -modern is popcnt version.
Pi4Chess
Full name: Manuel Rivera

Post by Pi4Chess »

JohnWoe wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:43 pm
Pi4Chess wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:32 am
hello,
Until this version i could not managed to compile for rpi4. so that's good news !
Now i have 1 question : is your engine only using 1 core ? I have 300 kns search speed for 1 core of rpi4
Thanks!
Good to know Mayhem is working well. 300 knps is a bit low. Mayhem is ~100% faster (much weaker of course) than SF12 which uses the same NNUE evaluation. Mayhem is really sensitive on search speed as a wide searcher.

About 1 core. Yes Mayhem only uses 1 core atm. Everything is basically global. That's the simplest design.
AB search is hard to scale anyway. I want to scale perfectly on 1M cores not just 64. So for multiple cores I think MCTS is the right choice (If I start v2.6).
SMP is only speedup. Multiple threads give speedup no smartness.
Ok for me it's fine. Just wanna know if i did something wrong while compiling 😉

I know smp is for speed on Bullet or Blitz games and elo scaling is not x number of cpus. Rpi4 is little machine so 1 core engines might be lower elo than intended. For taking a straight fact : Ccrl bench on SF 10 with the reference core is 2054 ms while my overclocked rpi4 is 5000ms with 1 core and 2500ms with the 4 cores 😅
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Heads up I'm using a 6 month old computer, and imported your engine into Fritz 17 and it crashes. Are their debug logs?

Running a modern i5 so popcnt, etc shouldn't (hasn't) been an issue.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:12 pm Vivien Clauzon has released Minic 3.02:

https://github.com/tryingsomestuff/Mini ... s/tag/3.02
Wonderful!
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

jshriver wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:43 am
Heads up I'm using a 6 month old computer, and imported your engine into Fritz 17 and it crashes. Are their debug logs?

Running a modern i5 so popcnt, etc shouldn't (hasn't) been an issue.
Thanks!
I compiled that (Windows?) .exe with my i3 laptop. It should work fine.
Mayhem doesn't log to files. It however prints "Error #X" message sometimes, if it even starts.
Probably need to be build again. That way it will be faster anyway. Tho there might be real bugs I need to fix.
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

I have released Francesca 0.30. Available from www.silentshark.co.uk

Not a huge jump in strength, maybe 30 ELO or so.

Changes

Small changes. Minor optimisations. More aggressive null move pruning. IID replaced by IIR (thanks to Ed Schroder for idea). Tweak to futility to make more aggressive or not, depending on if position is improving. Separate search functions when in check. Minor eval tweaks - tuning needed

Happy Christmas to everyone. Let's hope 2021 is a better year, and the world gets on top of the Coronavirus.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

silentshark wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:35 pm I have released Francesca 0.30. Available from www.silentshark.co.uk
Tank Time and Yikes! Zombies! Run look fun too :)
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

silentshark wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:35 pm I have released Francesca 0.30. Available from www.silentshark.co.uk

Not a huge jump in strength, maybe 30 ELO or so.

Changes

Small changes. Minor optimisations. More aggressive null move pruning. IID replaced by IIR (thanks to Ed Schroder for idea). Tweak to futility to make more aggressive or not, depending on if position is improving. Separate search functions when in check. Minor eval tweaks - tuning needed

Happy Christmas to everyone. Let's hope 2021 is a better year, and the world gets on top of the Coronavirus.
Thanks Tom and the best wishes.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

jshriver wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:56 pm
Tank Time and Yikes! Zombies! Run look fun too :)
Not worked on them for a while, but had a lot of fun a few years back building simple Android and iOS games with the kids. Probably need to tweak things to ensure they are still on Google Play, and I think my Apple tax ran out a while back..