Chessbase Database issue

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JManion

Chessbase Database issue

Post by JManion »

Hello

I have a large database of roughly 5 million games. I tried to in Chessbase 12 to run find duplicates after I updated it. It starts out ok but after a while it just slows to a crawl. After 48 hours it was stuck at 38% complete.

I tried to break it up into a PGN but it says the file limit is 2 GB so I would need 3 to 4 pgn's. So that did not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ferdy

Re: Chessbase Database issue

Post by Ferdy »

JManion

Post by JManion »

Ferdy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 am Try the pgn tools by eman.
Yes but that is for pgn's.... I cant make my database into a pgn.... my database is too large and goes over the 2 GB limit. Now if you know a way to take the chessbase database and turn it into a PGN file that is 8 GB's I would love to use that tool.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

JManion wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 am
Yes but that is for pgn's.... I cant make my database into a pgn.... my database is too large and goes over the 2 GB limit. Now if you know a way to take the chessbase database and turn it into a PGN file that is 8 GB's I would love to use that tool.
Chessbase can create a pgn file. Create a pgn file, copy some games (perhaps by year range) from chessbase and paste it in pgn file. Check the eman tools if it supports large pgn files.
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

I was exporting the Caissabase (+4 million games) to PGN in SCID, and then imported it into ChessBase without any problems. Huge file but no problem. I‘ve used the newest ChessBase version though.
JManion

Post by JManion »

Ferdy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:04 am
JManion wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 am
Chessbase can create a pgn file. Create a pgn file, copy some games (perhaps by year range) from chessbase and paste it in pgn file. Check the eman tools if it supports large pgn files.
Yes I Know it can create a pgn file... I have created them before... they have a limit its 2 GB's... my database would be 8 GB's..
JManion

Post by JManion »

KLc wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:15 am I was exporting the Caissabase (+4 million games) to PGN in SCID, and then imported it into ChessBase without any problems. Huge file but no problem. I‘ve used the newest ChessBase version though.
Great if you could take a large database say 5 million games in a chessbase format and then convert it to pgn tell me what happens
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

I tried to export the first 5 million games of Mega 2021. That all worked quick and nice until game 4,472,127 when it crashed with an error. The (partial) PGN created is about 4.2GB. Well... :?: Bad programming I would say.