Unbalanced Human Openings V2.00 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Unbalanced Human Openings V2.00 released

Post by pohl4711 »

Whats new in V2.0? All 400000 endpositions were re-evaluated by KomodoDragon 1.0 (instead of Komodo 14 in UHO V1.0), because KomodoDragon 1.0 is around +200 Elo (!) stronger than Komodo 14. In the testing-results you can see, that the results of the testings are somewhat better with UHO V2.0, compared to V1.0, because the evaluation of the endpositions of the opening-lines has a so much higher Elo-level.

The idea of the UHO (Unbalanced Human Openings) openings is quite simple. The chess community is a real conservative group. And I recognized, that many of them dont like openings, which were constructed (my Drawkiller openings for example) or changed manually (like my NBSC openings, where black is not allowed to castle short). They say, that is no "real chess". I do not agree with that personally, but I decided to try building openings-sets, which are working like NBSC (white has a clear advantage) and can be (because white has a clear advantage at the beginning of the game) rescored with my Advanced Armageddon Scoring system for extremly high Elo-spreadings, which makes the rakings in a test/tournament much more reliable with a lower number of played games, but are complete unmodified and 100% human. So, I release opening sets, now, which are filtered out of the Megabase 2020 (by ChessBase). And the only filter, I am using, is the eval of KomodoDragon 1.0 in the endposition of each opening-line and that both queens are still on the board in each endposition. KomodoDragon analyzed each endposition on a QuadcorePC with 15 seconds thinking-time.

So the Unbalanced Human Openings contain:
- 100% moves played by humans, only. Both players had at least 2300 Elo.
- no manually constructed openings (like my Drawkiller openings)
- no manually added moves to make castling impossible (like my NBSC openings)
- no selection of piece-patterns (like my SALC openings (white and black castle to opposite sides of the board))

Learn more on my website:
https://www.sp-cc.de/unbalanced-human-openings.htm

Instant download:
https://www.sp-cc.de/files/unbalanced_h ... s_v2.0.zip

Enjoy!
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Unbalanced Human Openings V2.00 released

Post by Laskos »

pohl4711 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm Whats new in V2.0? All 400000 endpositions were re-evaluated by KomodoDragon 1.0 (instead of Komodo 14 in UHO V1.0), because KomodoDragon 1.0 is around +200 Elo (!) stronger than Komodo 14. In the testing-results you can see, that the results of the testings are somewhat better with UHO V2.0, compared to V1.0, because the evaluation of the endpositions of the opening-lines has a so much higher Elo-level.

The idea of the UHO (Unbalanced Human Openings) openings is quite simple. The chess community is a real conservative group. And I recognized, that many of them dont like openings, which were constructed (my Drawkiller openings for example) or changed manually (like my NBSC openings, where black is not allowed to castle short). They say, that is no "real chess". I do not agree with that personally, but I decided to try building openings-sets, which are working like NBSC (white has a clear advantage) and can be (because white has a clear advantage at the beginning of the game) rescored with my Advanced Armageddon Scoring system for extremly high Elo-spreadings, which makes the rakings in a test/tournament much more reliable with a lower number of played games, but are complete unmodified and 100% human. So, I release opening sets, now, which are filtered out of the Megabase 2020 (by ChessBase). And the only filter, I am using, is the eval of KomodoDragon 1.0 in the endposition of each opening-line and that both queens are still on the board in each endposition. KomodoDragon analyzed each endposition on a QuadcorePC with 15 seconds thinking-time.

- no selection of piece-patterns (like my SALC openings (white and black castle to opposite sides of the board))

Instant download:

Enjoy!
Thanks, very useful.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

pohl4711 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm Whats new in V2.0? All 400000 endpositions were re-evaluated by KomodoDragon 1.0 (instead of Komodo 14 in UHO V1.0), because KomodoDragon 1.0 is around +200 Elo (!) stronger than Komodo 14. In the testing-results you can see, that the results of the testings are somewhat better with UHO V2.0, compared to V1.0, because the evaluation of the endpositions of the opening-lines has a so much higher Elo-level.

Instant download:

Enjoy!
If I understand correctly this opening is initially played by human up to lets say 4 moves and then Komodo dragon extend the opening up to 10 or 12 moves using Drawkiller openings for example) or changed manually using your NBSC openings, where black is not allowed to castle short.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Chessqueen wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Instant download:

Enjoy!
If I understand correctly this opening is initially played by human up to lets say 4 moves and then Komodo dragon extend the opening up to 10 or 12 moves using Drawkiller openings for example) or changed manually using your NBSC openings, where black is not allowed to castle short.
No.
All openings are from MegaBase 2020 and cutted by 4,6,8 moves. Then Komodo Dragon evaluated the endpositions.
Read more carefully.
"100% moves played by humans, only" - I dont know, how to be clearer. No moves by KomodoDragon, no modifikations by me. Nothing taken from NBSC or Drawkiller.
Pi4Chess
Full name: Manuel Rivera

Post by Pi4Chess »

Thanks ! i always use these opening book to quickly evaluate elo difference between engines :-)
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Pi4Chess wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:27 pm Thanks ! i always use these opening book to quickly evaluate elo difference between engines :-)
My pleasure. The new V2.00 gives a little bit better Elo-spreading than V1.00, so I recommend switching to the new version.

Take a look at this testruns with long thinking-time of 10min+5sec and see, how much better the testing is, using UHO V2.00 openings compared to a classical openings-set, especially, if engines are close in their strength:

Additionally, I played 2x 1000 games with Ultralong thinking-time (10'+5'')
Stockfish 12 versus Komodo Dragon 1.0
Singlethread, i7-8750H Hexacore mobile CPU, 512MB Hash, cutechess-cli
(no TB for engines, but 5 Syzygy for cutechess), Contempt=0
All openings replayed with reversed colors.

For comparsion the result, using the classical HERT 500 openings-set:
Stockfish was +28 Elo stronger (Score 53.9%) and Draw-rate was 84.1%
Stockfish 12 vs Dragon 1.0: 1000 (+118,=841,- 41), 53.9 %

And now, see the results of the UHO V2.0 6 moves [+090;+099] openings:
Stockfish was +58 Elo stronger (Score 58.1%) and Draw-rate was 52.8%
Stockfish 12 vs Dragon 1.0: 1000 (+317,=528,-155), 58.1 %

And now, see the results of the UHO V2.0 6 moves [+090;+099] openings after the
Advanced Armageddon Rescoring of the played games of the UHO 2.0 6 moves openings testrun:
Stockfish was +108 Elo stronger (Score 64.8%) and Draw-rate was 0%
Stockfish 12 vs Dragon 1.0: 1027 (+666,= 0,-361), 64.8 %

Awesome, isnt it?

PS: Of course, the tools for my Advanced Armageddon Rescoring are part of the UHO V2.0 download. And a live-rescoring-tool is included, too, so if your GUI writes the played games in a PGN-file (only FritzGUI does not), the rescoring can be done, while the testing is still running and the results are displayed "live" on screen. Works with Cutechess(-cli), Arena, ShredderGUI etc.
The livescoring-tool runs on a singlethread and does not need much computing power and it runs only a few seconds. So the testing is not "distorted" by using the tool from time to time.
Pi4Chess
Full name: Manuel Rivera

Post by Pi4Chess »

Very nice results indeed :-)

I am using 8 moves version of your book, and i think i will stick to +0.90-0.99 in v2.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

I think that using armageddon scoring is only an accounting trick but that it has no impact when it comes to the number of games needed to separate engine strength, which is the key metric.

However, these UHO are really nice. Openings from v1.0 have been used in some Computer Chess Championship events and have been great at producing decisive game pairs. With strong engines and big hardware, that's not easy.

The improved elo spread with V2.00 is welcome. I hope we will get a 3.00 that has even better elo spread in the future.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Gabor Szots wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:19 pm Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it.
Note that if you use UHO for CCRL testing, you'll get much larger elo differences between engines than testers who use traditional opening sets. If everyone uksed UHO that would be great, but mixing UHO results with normal opening results isn't mathematically sound.
Komodo rules!