Interesting read about Fat Fritz 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

noobpwnftw

Re: Interesting read about Fat Fritz 2

Post by noobpwnftw »

Haven't you noticed that they turned from "rating lists says so" to "my local tests says so"?

As soon as they read this, they'll put out some random results from people we never heard of and "marginally better" outcome nobody else can reproduce, but they'll need some serious luck or a debug compile of SF to forge the results... Maybe that's their next big invention.

Calling it.
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

This was a note I sent to Chessbase on 02/21/2021.

Dear Sir,
I believe you stole the software written by the Stockfish Team, it is unethical to claim the Stockfish engine as your own and knowing the true origin of the program authors.
Lying to the consumers, denying the Stockfish Team the proper acknowledged credit per the GNU License.  I hope they sue you, if they ask for donations I will contribute to this just cause.

Today (02/22/21), I see the program description for Fat Fritz 2 has changed 180 degrees to give the Stockfish programmers credit for writing the program and the Github download url.
They have been kicking beehives and stealing the honey and laughing about it, this time they kicked a hornets nest with the hornets mad enough to do real damage to them.
flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Post by flok »

daniel71 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:05 am This was a note I sent to Chessbase on 02/21/2021.

Dear Sir,
I believe you stole the software written by the Stockfish Team, it is unethical to claim the Stockfish engine as your own and knowing the true origin of the program authors.
Lying to the consumers, denying the Stockfish Team the proper acknowledged credit per the GNU License.  I hope they sue you, if they ask for donations I will contribute to this just cause.

Today (02/22/21), I see the program description for Fat Fritz 2 has changed 180 degrees to give the Stockfish programmers credit for writing the program and the Github download url.
They have been kicking beehives and stealing the honey and laughing about it, this time they kicked a hornets nest with the hornets mad enough to do real damage to them.
I'm not sure how (if at all) they will recover from that.
glennsamuel32

Post by glennsamuel32 »

It has been tested in a deep match of ten thousand games against the February 11 build of Stockfish, which has since become the new Stockfish 13. This match was played by an independent tester who used a fixed eight-move deep book that is taken from a base of 2.1 million games played on LiChess in 2020 by opponents both rated 2400+.
Is there a reason why he hasn't identified the so called "independent tester" ?
Also, there are numerous publicly available test suites to use.
He himself has authored one that's hosted on Chessbase :twisted: :twisted:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/test-your ... ings-suite

This is the exact approach I would take if I didn't want my test results to be validated by anyone else.
Barring this, I see no other explanation.

In the end, pretty much a "deja vu" of the Alphazero vs Stockfish charade.
Was it really worth all the effort ??
Well done A Silver -- you'll be remembered for all the wrong things.
Judge without bias, or don't judge at all...
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

Some do not understand that "Fritz GUI can be good" and "Fat Fritz is a full out scam" both being true at the same time is entirely possible.

I predict soon ChessBase try to twist this universal condemnation of their misconduct into some smear campaign of a miserable person. But no, ASilver is fully aware of the scam and most of the misleading contents are either said or written by himself, and ChessBase is fully on board with those.

As things have progressed so far, I think it is time to call for an effort to make an open source GUI replacement, for two reasons, first, there might be at some point that the camps will become mutually exclusive, and second I think the OSS people are doing quite well in the propaganda war.
the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

Open-Source GUI hype. If one of those was actually designed for the average player and their analysis, and came preloaded with some nice open-source engine...

This community would have to find some design talent, though. One only has to look at the TCEC GUI, which is extremely functional in a bleak and horrid sort of way.
cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Post by cpeters »

Difficult.

I for one adhere to the (deprecated?) philosophy of UNIX (as in: do one thing well). SCId for the databases, (headless) engine-engine-matches, some shiny GUI (own ergonomy) for playing the comp/in the webs.

On the phone it's exactly like this (+one for solving puzzles/training). Also: there seems more (like a trade mark, a promise for quality, colours, sounds and shapes) to a GUI what makes it appealing for the masses then just itself/what it could deliver.
Something like aura sells.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, XBoard is open source, and nothing stops you from making it as flashy as you want.
glennsamuel32

Post by glennsamuel32 »

the_real_greco wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:05 pm Open-Source GUI hype. If one of those was actually designed for the average player and their analysis, and came preloaded with some nice open-source engine...

This community would have to find some design talent, though. One only has to look at the TCEC GUI, which is extremely functional in a bleak and horrid sort of way.
We have such talent !!

@phhnguyen Banksia GUI :D

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=72350
Judge without bias, or don't judge at all...
cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Post by cpeters »

hgm wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 pm Well, XBoard is open source, and nothing stops you from making it as flashy as you want.
It's flashy for me already (playing on the dextop). Thank you!

Ah, I missed it in my post...